Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Why almost normality? NZ is now normal, and started easing restrictions weeks ago anyway.
I don't disagree with your view here, but the problem with taking that approach now is we are probably still at least 2 months away from reaching absolute zero. Keeping things locked down till then is a massive gamble, especially when the government who would be expected to prop us up if it took longer started opening their economy already.
The chance to snuff it out like NZ was lost in March.
If it was 2 months roughly as we are then normality, the huge proportion of the population would give their right arm for that. Unfortunately none of that can be guaranteed

51 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Somewhere in that range x

I would guess more than 1,500 but less than 2,500 if you want me to try and put numbers on it.

The highest figure I've seen - for one of their odious mini bigotfests with Larkhall - was about 800. And given that about 40% of their games already took place when Celtic weren't playing that day anyway there isn't evidence for a huge demand to watch a tinpot version of them. 

Given that you'd be starting all games at that level across the country I think you'd see a more general bump of about 200-400 spectators per game, at least until the novelty wears off. Which might tip them into the four figures for a big game but not much more than that.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Define fairly big please. 

Most Celtic fans are barely aware of the senior team playing in their own town never mind traipsing to some plook of Lanarkshire to watch some Junior 4th tier no-marks.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I used them advisedly. They play in the Provanmill/ Garscadden area and have been getting 3,400 regularly, largely drawn from disaffected Celtic supporters that are too militant for The Gren Brigade.

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Presumably you planned your wedding to coincide with the Leicestershire school holidays.

Primary consideration of all involved, tbqh

You'd have to be thick as pig shit to equate the importance of a non league football game to civil protests against racial inequality, but here we are.
"Partially agree with the sentiment" [emoji38] some folk will fence sit about anything
It's called 'not being a c**t', and trying to persuade people, and genuinely change minds. It's quite progressive.

Pretty much the opposite to your style of engagement, which is much more concerned about winning the argument, and demeaning the person who has a different view from you.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I used them advisedly. They play in the Provanmill/ Garscadden area and have been getting 3,400 regularly, largely drawn from disaffected Celtic supporters that are too militant for The Gren Brigade.

Clearly kept a hold of their vintage Seville calculator I see !!

Edit you might mean 300 or 400 rather than 3,400 on re reading

43 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Due to folks desperation for live football i reckon this idea would spread quickly on social media and the numbers would be much higher (double/treble their good crowds).

There's live, high quality football being streamed into every household in the country that wants to see it right now every day of the week. The idea that the younger social media audience are going to be hunting around for the next West of Scotland Conference game instead is rather far-fetched.

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Richard Leonard will somehow end up blaming both on himself.

Could you ever, in your wildest dreams, image that dick as First Minister of Scotland

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

I’m pro-independence but the rabid, independence-at-all-costs nationalists like yourself make it seriously hard to be so. 

The SNP are lucky to be led by a communicator as slick as Nicola Sturgeon, but their politics are middle of the road and despite being in government for well over a decade now they have shown an absolute lack of genuine ambition, radicalism or out the box thinking at any point.

I might like the idea of independence. But I also like the idea of councils being properly funded , I like the idea of using all the powers we have (like our welfare powers) to their fullest extent rather than just meekly pointing to the powers we don’t have, and I’d like our transport system to be nationalised rather than used as a cash cow for wealthy SNP donors like Brian Souter. The SNP-led government does not do these things so why would I vote for them?

So essentially, grow the f**k up and take the blinkers off. 

Whit! I'm 5'4" and aged 77 how much more can I grow up?

You're the one that's girnin' about councils and railways being underfunded.

But until a Scottish government has all of the powers of a normal nation then it is impossible for the government to do everything you and I want it to do.

Incidentally, can the SG really nationalise the Scottish Railways?

The SNP-led government does not do these things so why would I vote for them?

If you believe in independence then who else are ye gonnae vote for?

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

The routemap was always subject to caveats and changes. It said so at the time. We all pencilled in the thing we were most looking forward to it's a bit frustrating if they don't happen on the date we had in mind.

I previously wanted things to open up ASAP (with all the usual restrictions/distancing)  because I thought it would be like that for ages, so why wait.

Having seen what has happened in NZ and closer to home, Guernsey I now believe if we hold off a little longer we can beat the virus down until almost normality can return much quicker than I ever thought.

Of course it is yet there are folk on here greeting that they cannae get a pint or travel mair than a few miles.

As NS said yesterday, the SG were elected to make all the decisions regarding covid-19 and they will make the decisions as they see it and no whit some on P&B decide.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

But if you want a NZ style absolute zero, why the need for any distance? NZ don't have any SD measures as they don't need any.

The reality is that we could take steps to safely go to 1m now, but it's clear NS wants to wait till England does it too, so we can blame WM if it doesn't work.

The reality is that we could take steps to safely go to 1m now

But that is your opinion. As I said above -  the SG were elected to make all the decisions regarding covid-19 and they will make the decisions as they see it and no whit some on P&B decide.

NS wants to wait till England does it too, so we can blame WM if it doesn't work

What is wrong with waiting? And why would we blame England? Do you really think we would point and laugh at folk dying in England.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

That's unrealistic the SNP are maxed out, you need allies.

Apart from the Greens who else are our allies?

4 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But that is your opinion. As I said above -  the SG were elected to make all the decisions regarding covid-19 and they will make the decisions as they see it and no whit some on P&B decide.

Covid-19 wasn't even on the radar when the SG - or any government - was elected.

There's live, high quality football being streamed into every household in the country that wants to see it right now every day of the week. The idea that the younger social media audience are going to be hunt around for the next West of Scotland Conference game instead is rather far-fetched.

I just happen to believe that this crisis has created a demand for a live experience of any sort.

You suggested an extra 300 or 400 but i think it might be a little higher than that.

38 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's called 'not being a c**t', and trying to persuade people, and genuinely change minds. It's quite progressive.

Pretty much the opposite to your style of engagement, which is much more concerned about winning the argument, and demeaning the person who has a different view from you.

You think that someone equating what we saw last Saturday with what we are seeing this Saturday is "quite progressive"?

hith-neville-chamberlain-peace-in-our-time-1938-2 (1).jpg

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's live, high quality football being streamed into every household in the country that wants to see it right now every day of the week. The idea that the younger social media audience are going to be hunt around for the next West of Scotland Conference game instead is rather far-fetched.

I agree, I doubt that's where a new supporters would come from, but at that level there's lots of locals with a big team. They won't become regulars as the pub and bookies will have too strong a pull. But if WaS started or East juniors like Armadale and Whitburn I think there might be an initial bounce.

My point to @Thereisalight.. was that it's entirely unpredictable and with little security, drink taken etc I doubt much care would be given to any rules never mind Covid ones.

44 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Could you ever, in your wildest dreams, image that dick as First Minister of Scotland

Whit! I'm 5'4" and aged 77 how much more can I grow up?

You're the one that's girnin' about councils and railways being underfunded.

But until a Scottish government has all of the powers of a normal nation then it is impossible for the government to do everything you and I want it to do.

Incidentally, can the SG really nationalise the Scottish Railways?

The SNP-led government does not do these things so why would I vote for them?

If you believe in independence then who else are ye gonnae vote for?

You keep repeating this stuff but you’re just wrong. The Scottish Government has control over our rail and bus industries. If they wanted to permanently nationalise them - or even just regulate the bus industry so that rich SNP donors like Brian Souter don’t rip off communities - then they could. It’s not ‘girnin’ to point out the SNP government’s chronic underfunding of local authorities, which has a direct impact on people’s lives. Far easier to blame Westminster than to take any responsibility for that though, I guess. 

If you don’t have full powers that doesn’t mean you can’t fully exercise the powers THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. If I really want a pepperoni pizza but my only option is a margherita pizza then I’m not going to willingly starve myself until I get what I want. 

And I believe in independence, but not at the cost of supporting a party that continues to govern as timidly and meekly as the SNP while in government. Independence is important but there other important things too, like folks lives in the here and now. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

1 minute ago, VladimirMooc said:

The Scottish Government has control over our rail and bus industries. If they wanted to permanently nationalise them - or even just regulate the bus industry so that rich SNP donors like Brian Souter don’t rip off communities - then they could.

I thought they had to put it out to competitive tender, including their own bid if they wished.

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I agree, I doubt that's where a new supporters would come from, but at that level there's lots of locals with a big team. They won't become regulars as the pub and bookies will have too strong a pull. But if WaS started or East juniors like Armadale and Whitburn I think there might be an initial bounce.

My point to @Thereisalight.. was that it's entirely unpredictable and with little security, drink taken etc I doubt much care would be given to any rules never mind Covid ones.

I certainly agree that there will be an element of uncertainty but having a ticketing and capacity structure in place can easily handle that. The idea of people waltzing up and paying at the gate/door for any sort of live event should really be off the table for some time to come - and if that means that some of the most basic non-league outfits can't start then they'll have to sit it out.