Coronavirus (COVID-19)

59 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Snafu said:
Looks like some if not all the care homes opening to visitors next week in the Highlands, don't know if this is the same elsewhere.

Excellent, I'm that bored I might pay them a visit despite knowing no one in a highland care home...gagging for a day out.

Shouldn't be a problem, half the residents in care homes don't know who their relatives are, anyway.

54 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Anti maskers in America are mental

They sure are, that was unbelievable. Interesting to learn that republics aren't democracies. Thank the lord we have a constitutional monarchy...

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

The best thing to come out of the covid madness is my Christian auld dear realising trump is a balloon. All my family stateside are hard core Republican Christians. I used to go a lot when I was younger but I have no desire to visit there again. The selfishness and pigheadedness of these god will sort it out mentalists is both scary and sad. To be a good human requires no higher being just a bit of common sense and respect for others. Unfortunately America is so divided and covid has just highlighted how snake oil salesmen can get away with murder. Populism is just bullshit. They will suffer the most economically and socially but their f**k up could become a global problem. Sad times.

29 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The best thing to come out of the covid madness is my Christian auld dear realising trump is a balloon. All my family stateside are hard core Republican Christians. I used to go a lot when I was younger but I have no desire to visit there again. The selfishness and pigheadedness of these god will sort it out mentalists is both scary and sad. To be a good human requires no higher being just a bit of common sense and respect for others. Unfortunately America is so divided and covid has just highlighted how snake oil salesmen can get away with murder. Populism is just bullshit. They will suffer the most economically and socially but their f**k up could become a global problem. Sad times.

Do you think it's just her or maybe a few more of your Yank clan?

Edited by welshbairn

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think it's just her or maybe a few more of your Yank clan?

Sadly they've doubled down. My aunt is a politician so basically she's in part of the machine. I was always skint by the time i got to Washington and a bit  naive and planted signs for their cause back in the day. So for that I'm a bit like Spike Milligan. Trump my part of his success.

13 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I was always skint by the time i got to Washington and a bit  naive and planted signs for their cause back in the day.

To pished to come up with a guess at what you did, could you elaborate?

5 hours ago, Snafu said:

Looks like some if not all the care homes opening to visitors next week in the Highlands, don't know if this is the same elsewhere.

I work in care and we just had our first batch of testing done this week, can’t see visiting for a bit yet. Although we are more residential than one communal area so may be easier to contain visiting.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

To pished to come up with a guess at what you did, could you elaborate?

I was out in a pick up planting signs along the highways for my aunts re-election for 10 bucks an hour. Being an illegal this was deemed a fair wage. Was joking about trump, this was in the 90's.

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

I was out in a pick up planting signs along the highways for my aunts re-election for 10 bucks an hour. Being an illegal this was deemed a fair wage. Was joking about trump, this was in the 90's.

Honduran wetbacks probably dream of $10 dollars an hour in 2020, good deal. You should dob your Aunt in to ICE though, it's the least you could do.

IMG_1593315995.452308.jpg
The Covid epidemic will have little if any long-lasting effect on global death numbers which have been slowly increasing year-on-year. The number of deaths per year are currently 50 something million (I found data up to 2015 after that the numbers are harder to find).
The number of deaths reported as “Covid” currently stand at 500 thousand. We know that the elderly who already had serious underlying health issues have made up most of the Covid death numbers.
The main effect of Covid was to bring the numbers earlier (hasten the end) rather than add a new source of death to the numbers. Even if the Covid numbers double to say 1 million you still wouldn’t see a bulge or spike in the overall global death numbers. Moving from say 57 million to 58 million would hardly show on the graph below.
The long lasting damage caused by Covid is limited to the ghastly over the top knee-jerk reactions of politicians around the globe and how their actions have wrecked economies.

3 hours ago, expatowner said:

IMG_1593315995.452308.jpg
The Covid epidemic will have little if any long-lasting effect on global death numbers which have been slowly increasing year-on-year. The number of deaths per year are currently 50 something million (I found data up to 2015 after that the numbers are harder to find).
The number of deaths reported as “Covid” currently stand at 500 thousand. We know that the elderly who already had serious underlying health issues have made up most of the Covid death numbers.
The main effect of Covid was to bring the numbers earlier (hasten the end) rather than add a new source of death to the numbers. Even if the Covid numbers double to say 1 million you still wouldn’t see a bulge or spike in the overall global death numbers. Moving from say 57 million to 58 million would hardly show on the graph below.
The long lasting damage caused by Covid is limited to the ghastly over the top knee-jerk reactions of politicians around the globe and how their actions have wrecked economies.

Bear in mind those figures are based on the various mitigations put in place by governments. The two available models for the UK indicated 250 to 350k without lockdown, so sbout 4-5 times what it is with it, alongside the definite probability of a second wave without any suppression, and a crashed health service. I suspect you'd have started to see a dent in your graph (seriously though, no excel?) And I doubt the long term economic impacts of larger death tolls, definite second waves and struggling to fund an overwhelmed health system wouldve led ultimately to significant economic hardship.

That it all looks so pointless now is a testimony to the success of those actions in suppressing both the virus and death toll to the degree it has.

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Pretty mental story about a Scottish expat who has been successfully treated in Vietnam (zero deaths), well worth a read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53196009

A gratifying story, but I find it insulting that he and the BBC are implying that we would have withdrawn treatment after a month, had he been back in Scotland. That is not how intensive care works in this country. It would have been nice if they'd got a quote from the FICM or SICS.