Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think it’ll be a case of 1m distancing will come into place within a week, and face coverings are now a requirement for all shops, if you don’t wear one they have a right to refuse entry.

Yeah, if they're going to drop to 1m, masks need to be mandatory, especially indoors. 

Edit: the science in this article seems to lean more towards 2m for maximum safety 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-23/coronavirus-social-distancing-new-social-distance-rules-one-metre-plus-what-does-science-say/

Edited by madwullie

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the English policy as such, albeit as ever they made a complete mess of announcing it.

Keep it at 2m in general, for going about your business and in supermarkets and shops. Relax it to 1m in pubs and restaurants but make it clear it’s to try and keep them economically viable - the default remains 2m. I think people would understand that a lot more than ‘1 metre plus’ while being asked to ‘show some guts’.

11 minutes ago, Paco said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the English policy as such, albeit as ever they made a complete mess of announcing it.

Keep it at 2m in general, for going about your business and in supermarkets and shops. Relax it to 1m in pubs and restaurants but make it clear it’s to try and keep them economically viable - the default remains 2m. I think people would understand that a lot more than ‘1 metre plus’ while being asked to ‘show some guts’.

Yeah, if we need to open pubs I'd agree with that. It is risky though, as pubs are one of the types of places where spread is most likely: indoors, busy, lots of chatting / shouting and people getting more relaxed and ditching SD measures when they're pissed. Also pretty difficult to skull pints when you've got a mask on I just realised. 

"Shown some guts" is just such embarrassing tone deaf chat. What a fucking twat. NS has been really cautious so I could see her baulking at 1m. Won't go down well with a lot of people, especially those that are completely bored of lockdown and just want to get hammered

Edited by madwullie

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Opening pubs and bars will cause a spike in cases. No question about that, as above theres no chance im going near any until proven otherwise.
Would consider an open air take away but that's it.

Bloody drama queen.

59 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Radio Tay seem to think she’s going to give an update regarding 2m social distancing.

Hopefully with the recent outbreaks in England she keeps us as we are for another few weeks.  With the recent protests in Glasgow we need to make sure that we don't suffer any spikes in infections.

With what's coming out America there's no danger I'm going near any kind of indoor eating/drinking establishment for a long while tbh.
Is whats coming out of America the result of hardly any attempt to squash the initial wave followed by desperation to go straight back to normal?

Not sure being personally dilligent and going to a restaurant with 1m distancing in place in a country where community transmission is almost zero poses the same level of risk as those lunatics

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

Hopefully with the recent outbreaks in England she keeps us as we are for another few weeks.  With the recent protests in Glasgow we need to make sure that we don't suffer any spikes in infections.

The first protests were 19 days ago. We'd have seen increases by now if we were going to see them from that.

There's little point in reducing the distance until our hospitality and leisure sector opens, but personally I'd be disappointed if we stood still on this. We cannot keep ignoring everywhere which is not seeing negative reactions (the vast majority) and pointing fingers and going "look, see!" at every rare example as justification for continuing to stay as we are.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Which is connected to England

So?

You can't seriously be in favour of us going through a harder, longer, more damaging lockdown for no reason other than an area of another country, a 6 hour drive away, has a wee localised outbreak?

The Pillar 2 data from Leicester is nearly 2 weeks old.

Total cases and hospital admissions in England have continued to fall.

Edited by Todd_is_God

The pillar 2 results from Leicester have blown that out the water for the time being imo
That's fair as personal appetite for risk will play a huge part in this once the government imposed restrictions go away. To each their own.
I think he was referring to Scotland
I was
Which is connected to England
It is, and that's a problem. Our data does appear to be more transparent and reliable, but again we revert back to the start. It going to be ever more down to personal choice and I wont slag anyone off for making one choice or another.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Until there's widespread publication of pillar 2 data across England I think that a longer lockdown is proportionate, yes.

The Pillar 2 data is included in the daily figure. Other than that it's falling, what else do you need / want to know, and why is it relevant here?

31 minutes ago, Pcplum said:

Bloody drama queen.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being aware of the risks. I think we're in better shape up here because there seems to be far fewer cases, and you can't catch the virus if noone has it. Down in England though, not sure if be heading to a pub anytime soon. But yeah, bloody drama queen - what a hero 🙄

Interesting report here on restaurants in America - I know pubs aren't restaurants, but they're not a million miles away in terms of user experience. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2020/06/26/is-it-safe-restaurant-coronavirus-cases-credit-cards-restaurants-jp-morgan-chase-covid-19-outbreaks/amp/

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So?

You can't seriously be in favour of us going through a harder, longer, more damaging lockdown for no reason other than an area of another country, a 6 hour drive away, has a wee localised outbreak?

The Pillar 2 data from Leicester is nearly 2 weeks old.

Total cases and hospital admissions in England have continued to fall.

England is only a 2 second walk away from a wide area of Scotland... 

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

They did this yesterday after pressure and the data are 10 days behind now.

Pillar 2 data has always been included in the announced UK daily figure.

It's also broken down into P1 & P2 every day here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public if you want to keep an eye on it.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Pillar 2 data has always been included in the announced UK daily figure.

It's also broken down into P1 & P2 every day here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public if you want to keep an eye on it.

I think of more use would be broken down into areas though. They're not publishing that I don't think? Couldn't give a f**k if Devon is experiencing an outbreak, but if cases are looking shitty in Newcastle... Well I think that's something it would be very useful to know. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with being aware of the risks. I think we're in better shape up here because there seems to be far fewer cases, and you can't catch the virus if noone has it. Down in England though, not sure if be heading to a pub anytime soon. But yeah, bloody drama queen - what a hero [emoji849]

Interesting report here on restaurants in America - I know pubs aren't restaurants, but they're not a million miles away in terms of user experience. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2020/06/26/is-it-safe-restaurant-coronavirus-cases-credit-cards-restaurants-jp-morgan-chase-covid-19-outbreaks/amp/

People dying in field hospitals because they went for a meal. Definitely create drama about this because it could happen here as well.

Got shot down for saying people shouldn't cram into pubs before the lockdown.

I get that people are bored but there's no easy and quick way out of this. Opening back up too early will result in another total lockdown and massive unemployment and an overwhelmed nhs. This isn't drama its just how viruses work. We have only contained it slightly. Unless we test everyone daily then it will just spread again via close indoor environments.

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

I think of more use would be broken down into areas though. They're not publishing that I don't think? Couldn't give a f**k if Devon is experiencing an outbreak, but if cases are looking shitty in Newcastle... Well I think that's something it would be very useful to know. 

Yes and no. If we were going to bar those in Newcastle from coming here in said instance (which would be as relevant as Devon btw) then it's useful to know, but it's completely irrelevant otherwise.