Coronavirus (COVID-19)

People dying in field hospitals because they went for a meal. Definitely create drama about this because it could happen here as well.Got shot down for saying people shouldn't cram into pubs before the lockdown.
I get that people are bored but there's no easy and quick way out of this. Opening back up too early will result in another total lockdown and massive unemployment and an overwhelmed nhs. This isn't drama its just how viruses work. We have only contained it slightly. Unless we test everyone daily then it will just spread again via close indoor environments.

Talk like this seems to suggest that locking down is the only credible way to sort this out, and it extends from that view that life as we know it is finished. It absolutely is drama

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I want my pint, I do what I want.
Toys out the pram.

52 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Opening pubs and bars will cause a spike in cases. No question about that, as above theres no chance im going near any until proven otherwise.
Would consider an open air take away but that's it.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

With what's coming out America there's no danger I'm going near any kind of indoor eating/drinking establishment for a long while tbh.

You're free to make your decision; other adults should be allowed to weigh up the risks and make theirs. There's no public health basis for keeping bars and restaurants closed to the general public based on current rates of transmission (next to none).

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He's not going to change it now. The Lizzie, Charlie patter from anyone is very old.

But that's the problem. These cnuts can do what they want, when they want with the taxpayers money.

It's folk like you who dinnae want tae talk about it that's the problem.

9 hours ago, Pcplum said:

Not I’m not but you’re a boring fart.

I posted Surely the biggest porky was the then CMO Catherine Calderwood saying that there were 'clear medical reasons' why Charlie Windsor, his wife and presumably his entourage were tested for the virus.

I presume you disagree (and I'm a boring fart for posting that?)

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Radio Tay seem to think she’s going to give an update regarding 2m social distancing.

Aye, few days ago I'd have bet on us following the English route with that but now I'm not so sure we will. We should IMO.

I downloaded this earlier on. It's a Financial Times Map

1402790020_ftmap.thumb.jpg.f16d9f170803d4869cbcf8b997d562be.jpg

You're free to make your decision; other adults should be allowed to weigh up the risks and make theirs. There's no public health basis for keeping bars and restaurants closed to the general public based on current rates of transmission (next to none).
What did america say before they opened them?
It would be great if infections stayed low after opening pubs. Amazing, if people want to go then there's no problem but how can we be 100% certain?
I feel that its money and the pressure from that industry thats driving it rather than science.
I remember them saying that mdma was a killer drug and close down all the raves because nobody was drinking. Turned out more died from aspirins. Just saying, I feel that money is driving it rather than common sense.

5 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But that's the problem. These cnuts can do what they want, when they want with the taxpayers money.

You mean like you who gets rubbered by the SNP when you ask them something, but donates anyway?

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It would be great if infections stayed low after opening pubs. Amazing, if people want to go then there's no problem but how can we be 100% certain?
I feel that its money and the pressure from that industry thats driving it rather than science.
I remember them saying that mdma was a killer drug and close down all the raves because nobody was drinking. Turned out more died from aspirins. Just saying, I feel that money is driving it rather than common sense.

not to defend MDMA but I reckon there's a lot more to that aspirin thing; afaik Aspirin is a blood thinner so folk take it if they've got moderate to severe heart problems, which might explain a high mortality rate among people that use it. 🤔

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

How many new cases should we have before "opening pubs"?

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

aye it is

No it isn't...

25 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I think of more use would be broken down into areas though. They're not publishing that I don't think? Couldn't give a f**k if Devon is experiencing an outbreak, but if cases are looking shitty in Newcastle... Well I think that's something it would be very useful to know. 

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes and no. If we were going to bar those in Newcastle from coming here in said instance (which would be as relevant as Devon btw) then it's useful to know, but it's completely irrelevant otherwise.

The SG knowing about outbreaks anywhere in England is only relevant if they are going to do anything about it by not letting people from those areas in. If that is on the table then it applies whether it is in Northumberland or Cornwall.

It's completely irrelevant to easing restrictions here though.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Opening pubs and bars will cause a spike in cases. No question about that, as above theres no chance im going near any until proven otherwise.
Would consider an open air take away but that's it.

It's the fact that you come out with so many statements like "no question about that" which riles people.

This virus has thrown up a few unexpected turns, and even the top experts wouldn't say "no question about that". We're all using our best judgment here, but some folk's judgment is considerably better than others.
With what's coming out America there's no danger I'm going near any kind of indoor eating/drinking establishment for a long while tbh.
Like a couple of others on the thread, i think this is an overreaction - but you're well within your rights to make that choice.

How much virus is around in our community is obviously the key stat and although we don't know for absolute certainty, I'm confident with the data that's out there that the risk of catching this virus is very, very low in Scotland.

The discussion quickly becomes about the damage of the continued restrictions, and the need to get going again - for the sake of people's jobs, their health, and their mental wellbeing.

The SG knowing about outbreaks anywhere in England is only relevant if they are going to do anything about it by not letting people from those areas in.
It's completely irrelevant to easing restrictions here.
The English data clearly does matter for the Scottish govt, and you can see that from the briefings. Rightly so, in my opinion.

We're connected to England, and there's so much travel between the two, that our two govts have to work together on this. They have too much effect on us and vice versa.

The fact that the communication looks like its breaking down is not a good sign - but could force sturgeon to take more drastic action. I for one think that would be the right thing to do, and i think the Scottish public agree with me.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No it isn't...

The SG knowing about outbreaks anywhere in England is only relevant if they are going to do anything about it by not letting people from those areas in. If that is on the table then it applies whether it is in Northumberland or Cornwall.

It's completely irrelevant to easing restrictions here though.

Well it's relevant to people who might be thinking of going to those areas, especially for a night out. And I presume a fair few folk live in scotland and work in the North of England 

Edited by madwullie

Even if, say, fife had zero cases. What happens if a group of asymptomatic tourists visit and infect 80% of people in a pub?
What is the spread after that and how long until there's a massive cluster again?

I see this like a bucket filling up with water until you stop the source it will just fill up again.
Keeping people apart stops it, when people get together it spreads again.
I don't know what the answer is, giving pubs money for furlough would be cheaper than rising cases imo.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The fact that the communication looks like its breaking down is not a good sign - but could force sturgeon to take more drastic action. I for one think that would be the right thing to do, and i think the Scottish public agree with me.

Absolutely. No issue here with closing the border if it's something than can be done.

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Well it's relevant to people who might be thinking of going to those areas, especially for a night out. And I presume a fair few folk live in scotland and work in the North of England 

There seems to be a habit of going from 0-100 when discussing anything to do with Covid-19. On the surface, you make a valid point, however they type of person who would travel to Newcastle for a night out because they can't wait 11 days to do so here is unlikely to pay attention to this.

On your second point, I've no idea how this works. Would an English employer be bound to respecting rules and regulations placed on an employee by the Scottish government?

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Even if, say, fife had zero cases. What happens if a group of asymptomatic tourists visit and infect 80% of people in a pub?
What is the spread after that and how long until there's a massive cluster again?

I see this like a bucket filling up with water until you stop the source it will just fill up again.
I don't know what the answer is, giving pubs money for furlough would be cheaper than rising cases imo.

So for you we need to have zero cases globally and a vaccine/confirmed cure before we do anything ever again?

Ehhhh.... Would you.... like to buy this Volcano insurance off me pal?

43 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

36 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You mean like you who gets rubbered by the SNP when you ask them something, but donates anyway?

Jesus H Christ! You cannae see the difference between a privileged family who gets a luxuriant lifestyle paid for by the taxpayers (who have no say in the matter) and me paying voluntarily to a political party.

2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Jesus H Christ! You cannae see the difference between a privileged family who gets a luxuriant lifestyle paid for by the taxpayers (who have no say in the matter) and me paying voluntarily to a political party.

^^^Verge of fanboy tears

56 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Talk like this seems to suggest that locking down is the only credible way to sort this out, and it extends from that view that life as we know it is finished. It absolutely is drama

For a virus that seriously affects a very small percentage of the population, folk are willing to accept life as we knew it is over. It’s a very bizarre way of thinking. For people under the age of 65 or those with no underlying health conditions, they’re probably more likely to die because of a drunk driver rather than covid 🙄

24 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

So for you we need to have zero cases globally and a vaccine/confirmed cure before we do anything ever again?

You’ve certainly changed your tune