Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Sky reporting it's trials ahead of a return to crowds in October not trials starting in October. He was bumbling that much it was hard to decipher in parts !

Johnson’s inability to deliver a coherent message really is quite something. It’s almost as if he’s lazy, ill prepared and uncaring.

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Johnson’s inability to deliver a coherent message really is quite something. It’s almost as if he’s lazy, ill prepared and uncaring.

To be fair, he has never pretended to be anything else.

People still voted for him...

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Let me get this straight.

You actively hope England cannot get rid of Covid and back to normal by the end of the year, because BJ is a bumbling idiot?

What a bitter c**t you really are.

Fúck me, how the hell is that your takeaway from my post?

You express an opinion that we should hope the current clownshow somehow gets the country back to normal regardless of their performance to date.

(2nd line of my post) I gently suggest that, past results being a pretty good indicator of future performance, this is a pretty unrealistic expectation.

(3rd line of my post) I actually state, pretty clearly, my desire for some kind of return to normality. About as far from your accusation of "actively hoping England cannot get rid of Covid" as the Government's current stance is from that of their chief scientific adviser. As an aside here, anyone thinking that "getting rid of Covid" in the medium term is even remotely possible probably believes the Earth is flat, Bill Gates owns the world Facemask Industry, and that Climate Change has not been affected by humans.

What a stupid, stupid person you really are. Stick to the graphs, matey. You can always excuse them as someone else's figures if they turn out to be bollox. Your own words? Not so much.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

What a stupid, stupid person you really are. Stick to the graphs, matey. You can always excuse them as someone else's figures if they turn out to be bollox. Your own words? Not so much.

Own your bitter nonsense and ditch the condescending pish.

The wee vein on your forehead must be throbbing

To be fair, he has never pretended to be anything else.
People still voted for him...

Yes some truth in that. Of course 45% Tory vote in an overall 67% turnout leads to an overwhelming majority. As long as we get Brexit done though.
I like the line that Boris always wanted to be PM and has always wanted to look back having been PM it’s just the bit in the middle he’s less keen on.
He’s a fucking psychopath.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

This was my point yesterday. There is no reward for us in being in lockdown longer if we never have anything back to "normal" before England.

The main reward is that fewer people die.

Edited by craigkillie

Sky reporting it's trials ahead of a return to crowds in October not trials starting in October. He was bumbling that much it was hard to decipher in parts !
Bbc test match special definitely reported August trials and then an October start so round (if trials are successful).

And can wrk and tod just get down to ruel st and save the rest of us putting up with your pish.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Own your bitter nonsense and ditch the condescending pish.

The wee vein on your forehead must be throbbing

I stand by my posts. Now explain where I said, or could be interpreted as having said, that I "actively hope England cannot get rid of Covid and back to normal by the end of the year, because BJ is a bumbling idiot".

In your own time, as you don't appear to have a lot of other people's work to post today.

55 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

He also said that it may be possible to scrap social distancing as early as November.

That seems a bit ambitious tbh, but it's good to not hear constant chat of "new normal" and, instead, an actual desire to get back to normal.

I was wondering if this was a hint at a vaccine being available by then

17 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

There are a lot of people who are looking at the tiny numbers and think we need to get back to normal ASAP.

Tbh i find myself thinking like this a lot. A full month after the crowded protest and partial reopening of the country there has still been no spike in cases in fact they are still declining.

It makes me think in my totally uninformed opinion that there is little to no community transmission, those small numbers must be related to care of those who are sick. Am I wrong ? Are they getting it from tesco or down the park?

My only real concern is the virus working its way back from down south although tbf it’s also declining there despite the clusterfuck just much slower

I think everyone thinks this way. Probably strange if you didn’t think that way since in the grand scheme of things, it was only 5 minutes ago life was normal and there was no such thing as Covid-19.

With regards to what you said about ‘looking at the tiny numbers’, I’ve been thinking a lot in recent weeks about ‘the numbers’ within the virus itself. With zero medical training (except First Aid), I could be overthinking and miles off and there’s  definitely wishful thinking there too, but what I’ve been wondering is - 

What is the actual state of the virus itself in general here case by case now? Is it possible that as more and more human immune systems have fought the virus and despite its mutations and still being transmissible, has there been any overall weakening of the virus?  Is it still as ‘strong’ per case and as much of a threat to the general population as it was in March or is it now in a state where even most folk in the groups with the weakest immune systems are likely to survive? 

I haven’t seen anything to support my line of questioning and my wishful thinking, but it sounds plausible (to me anyway), or maybe there has been something to support my theory that I’ve just not seen? 

I suppose in a way it links back to the whole ‘herd immunity’ thing, but I keep wondering whether even if we had a second, third, fourth or however many spikes and no vaccine, is there any likelihood that over time Covid-19 will basically just peter out and die-off completely or still exist but  be no more of a threat than hay fever? 

Edited by 8MileBU

Oxford have been talking theirs up quite recently. I do wonder if they’ve been briefed that it’ll be ready for the end of October.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Bbc test match special definitely reported August trials and then an October start so round (if trials are successful).

And can wrk and tod just get down to ruel st and save the rest of us putting up with your pish.

If the stupid wee nyaff would stop accusing me of saying the diametric opposite of what I actually say, there's a possibility. Unfortunately, right now that appears to be as remote a possibility as our lords and masters delivering a coherent plan to return this Sceptered Isle to a functioning economy - I've given up hope of seeing it as a functioning democracy in my lifetime.

Also, it's never been my style to use violence on children. Apologies to Todd if I am mistaken, but on an anonymous forum I can only judge age by his posts, which betray, to me, the comprehension skills found in early secondary school years - accompanied by the tendency to see every issue as a binary choice where you pick your team and stick with it. I'm guessing puberty is probably a vivid and recent memory to the lad.*

*Gender assumption, I know, but I have never met a female NFL fan.

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

If the stupid wee nyaff would stop accusing me of saying the diametric opposite of what I actually say, there's a possibility. Unfortunately, right now that appears to be as remote a possibility as our lords and masters delivering a coherent plan to return this Sceptered Isle to a functioning economy - I've given up hope of seeing it as a functioning democracy in my lifetime.

Also, it's never been my style to use violence on children. Apologies to Todd if I am mistaken, but on an anonymous forum I can only judge age by his posts, which betray, to me, the comprehension skills found in early secondary school years - accompanied by the tendency to see every issue as a binary choice where you pick your team and stick with it. I'm guessing puberty is probably a vivid and recent memory to the lad.*

*Gender assumption, I know, but I have never met a female NFL fan.

homer simpson laughing GIF

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
I'm not disputing that. But it wasn't even on their radar when they first were talking about it, yet now it is being used as the yard stick by everyone.
I'd just like to know these things are being discussed, and a realistic timeframe / set of conditions to allow these to happen.
The DFL, for example, have put forward a proposal that will allow clubs to utilise 50% of their seating capacity and 12.5% of their standing capacity as early as September when the Bundesliga / 2. Bundesliga starts.
There are small crowds at stadiums in France already.
Fans here have an idea that we may be looking at October before we can return, but have no idea at all what level of capacity we are looking at.
I think overall compliance with the restrictions in Scotland has been very good. It would be nice come the next review on the 30th to be 'rewarded' with a little bit more transparancy of what Q3 & Q4 might look like if things continue to go well instead of high fiving each other that the schools are going back and that is mission accomplished.

Pilot in October for sports attendance BJ announcing now. England mind so expect about Christmas here.

It’s crazy how slow they’re taking this. I’m obviously not saying the OF should have packed 50000 stadiums come Aug, but whats the issue with teams like mine having 2000 punters in a 10000 capacity stadium? They’ve already said transmission is lower outside and throw in the fact fans would be wearing face coverings I really don’t see why they’re dragging their heels over this

9 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'd like to think so, but the whole testing process takes a fair while, then there's the production, then the actual vaccination program. The whole process ain't gonna happen overnight.

This is my biggest worry over loosening lockdown. Yes, cases and deaths are low and getting lower. Would this be the case if we just opened back up again? I am not convinced and, being professionally risk-averse, it doesn't feel right to remove protection without putting  a proven, or at least logical, control measure in place.

If that means we have to wait a bit longer to go to the football, cinema or theatre, then so be it. My daughter works in theatre and, quite apart from the risk to her and her colleagues, she says she is horrified at the prospect of a packed theatre with one spreader becoming hundreds of cases returning to their homes and workplaces after the show.

I'm not gonna lie, I feel frankly disgusted that the focus of so many people on here and irl has been "when can I go for a pint" rather than "when will my parents/grandparents/older colleagues be adequately protected".