Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Had to laugh at a guy on a beach in Spain being interviewed on BBC Breakfast yesterday.  He was pointing out to the sea with some clouds in the skies repeatedly saying "you wouldn't get a view like that back home in Britain".  Errr...  what?! 

Hope he got pulled up on it :lol:

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Honestly m9, f**k off

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/

Generally in life you have three options when presented with something:

1 - Dismiss it as you already know better

2 - Accept it at face value

3 - Note it and do some brief research into it to verify whether or not it is true

Unless you are an expert in a particular field, 2 or 3 is usually a good starting point.

That's not really how forums work. If you assert something it's fairly common for people to ask for evidence that you aren't talking pish. If we all just accepted everything we didn't know at face value it would be a disaster.

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

When do you intend emerging from under your bed to rejoin a functioning society?

You are welcome to stay shiting yourself btw. Just don't expect everyone else to join you.

You mentioned earlier in the thread thaf you and your Mrs hadn't visited relatives as she was paranoid about it a while back. Maybe wind your neck in a wee bit when other people also have paranoia about this stuff. Not everyone is as brave or informed as you.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Honestly m9, f**k off

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/

Generally in life you have three options when presented with something:

1 - Dismiss it as you already know better

2 - Accept it at face value

3 - Note it and do some brief research into it to verify whether or not it is true

Unless you are an expert in a particular field, 2 or 3 is usually a good starting point.

You seem to get easily offended at having to provide a bit of evidence for your wild opinions, Todd.  

Thanks for the life coaching though. 😂

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You seem to get easily offended at having to provide a bit of evidence for your wild opinions, Todd.  

Thanks for the life coaching though. 😂

You should listen to Todd. The football “skills”, the green trousers, being terrorised by squirrels, marrying Dot Cotton. Need all the help you can get. 

7 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I should add we more than know the risks of going abroad during this, we went to Berlin in March on the day the Ayr v Queen of the South game got cancelled and then the season ended, then while we were out on the Saturday the majority of the pubs shut in Berlin. 

We actually isolated for the week after we got back before that was a thing just in case, since the information around it was a lot less clear than now.  

So we've kinda been through all this already. 

Careful, you'll be accused of being a "curtain twitcher".

5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Also, your example of kite/shite does not necessarily carry. The second verb for sink is 'sank'. The second verb for wink is not 'w**k'.

Oh, you learn something new every day.

Just to clarify "She was a rather attractive girl so I smiled and gave her a w**k" is wrong then?

The fines and being placed on the sex offenders register all make sense now.

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Oh, you learn something new every day.

Just to clarify "She was a rather attractive girl so I smiled and gave her a w**k" is wrong then?

The fines and being placed on the sex offenders register all make sense now.

The sentence would be wrong anyway. You've used your time marker in 'gave' so you'd just use the noun form 'wink'. As in:

What did you give her?

Answer, a wink.

You could say 'She was a rather attractive girl so I smiled and wanked at her.' Although the authorities may take a keen interest.

Edited by JTS98

Heard on the radio that instead of furlough, in the US they've just been firing everyone $600 a week because most state's computer systems are so old they couldn't handle working out a percentage of people's salary. So that's resulted in some people's covid payments being more than their job was paying them. Great stuff.

Guest JTS98

That's 39 cases announced in Malaysia today. A significant jump in the wrong direction.

A long period of single-digit cases is now clearly over after a week of consistent double-digit numbers, with only yesterday's false-dawn of seven looking acceptable.

The government has announced that local lockdowns are being and will be used to combat the jump just now, but that a proper return to the previous restrictions (which were eased in early June) will be considered if daily cases return to three figures.

The government's view is that the jump is due to businesses and restaurants not following the SOPs that are meant to be in place.

Notable that many of the recent cases have been asymptomatic and discovered only through good tracing.

Edited by JTS98

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Last time I popped in here there was a three page discussion about what qualifies as being a 'qualified historian'.

I'm presuming that we've said fuc*ity by to the virus now? (or should that be fuc*itty by?)  

That was actually the Cancel Culture thread, which if anything has only taken a turn for the worse since then. 

Fantastically negative preaching there by NS

Not a peep when announcing 20 odd new cases over a period of days, but now we've had 4-3-4 the scary tone is back out.

A quite wonderful display of fearmongering ahead of the review on Thursday, in order to justify doing nothing.

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

That was actually the Cancel Culture thread, which if anything has only taken a turn for the worse since then. 

Last I seen it was about Harry Potter. I'm not even sure he was real. Is there anything in your history books that might help, a picture preferably?

Sounds like everything will be held off till schools are back, I reckon we would see changes being announced for or on the 20th August. Not great for those still closed, and again I question the motives for reopening indoor hospitality before other sectors that are, in probable reality, going to be safer and better at following guidance.

Fed up with those moaning about quarantining from Spain. It was said it would be a risk to go abroad, but it’s the very entitled attitude of “I’ve got to on my holidays” that we have here. These folk need to take some personal responsibility.

Sounds like everything will be held off till schools are back, I reckon we would see changes being announced for or on the 20th August. Not great for those still closed, and again I question the motives for reopening indoor hospitality before other sectors that are, in probable reality, going to be safer and better at following guidance.

Fed up with those moaning about quarantining from Spain. It was said it would be a risk to go abroad, but it’s the very entitled attitude of “I’ve got to on my holidays” that we have here. These folk need to take some personal responsibility.

Because such a big deal was made over schools going back they’ve made sacrifices to get them back. I want us to rush and get back to normal as much as the next man but I’ll accept a delay to get schools on again.

And your point on holidays I agree, I’d love to have been away sunning it up but I’ll stay at home for now to be safe.