Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Apart from the quarantine issues, why would anyone actually want to be on a plane with all that disgusting air being recycled? It would be like sitting in a Covid  (other viruses are available) incubator. 

It's quite the travelled myth that modern aircraft ventilation systems spread germs throughout the entire cabin.

Generally speaking, unless you are within two rows of an infected person, you're risk is very low. And that's without considering masks being worn.

You would be at greater risk on a train.

If the low single figures of yesterday and today can be replicated over the next few days it would be a tremendous endorsement of our Test & Protect system.

Did we see a jump last Monday? I can’t remember?

Figures are getting low enough that generally I’m feeling optimistic about this all going forward.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's quite the travelled myth that modern aircraft ventilation systems spread germs throughout the entire cabin.

Generally speaking, unless you are within two rows of an infected person, you're risk is very low. And that's without considering masks being worn.

You would be at greater risk on a train.

Fair enough. I won't consider myself reassured. So many people in a confined Ryanair space spells danger for me. 

I discovered today that two people (same household)  I know have recently tested positive for Covid-19. Even for allowing for the recent increase in positive cases the relatively low figures have been greatly encouraging. It's sobering though when these statistics actually refer to people you've known for over 20 years. There are both at home so, hopefully, it will be a relatively mild case. 

Knowing people directly impacted by this isn't anything new. Someone I had worked with fairly recently on something passed away at the height of the crisis. I had hoped though that those days had passed. It's a wee reminder, if one were needed, that we are far from out of the woods yet. 

2 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Knowing people directly impacted by this isn't anything new. Someone I had worked with fairly recently on something passed away at the height of the crisis. I had hoped though that those days had passed. It's a wee reminder, if one were needed, that we are far from out of the woods yet. 

Sadly, wee reminders ARE needed. Complacency is in danger of setting in, (if it hasn't already set in).

8 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Did we see a jump last Monday? I can’t remember?

Figures are getting low enough that generally I’m feeling optimistic about this all going forward.

No we had a big drop between Sun & Mon

This week we had a very large drop between Saturday and Sunday, and today is more than 50% less than last Monday too.

No deaths in 11 days now, but the 2 in ICU have been in for quite some time - last admission to ICU was, according to the report released last Friday, the 9th of July.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Monday 13th July said:

Seen this on the BBC website covid tracker.    

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps will not be exempt from quarantine rules when he returns to the UK from his holiday in Spain, Number 10 has said.

"The same rules apply to ministers as they do anyone else," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's official spokesman said.

Dominic Cummings' Leaves Review Of Barnard Castle On Tripadvisor

He's not a minister or a member of the Conservatives...

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Visited this thread to see the new cases for today, and it struck me that @Todd_is_God hasn’t been posting on here for a few days. He was always first with the deaths/new cases. 

My immediate, and of course , unworthy thought ... was that the Todd had caught a dose.

But I see he's back.

When the government reintroduced quarantine for folk returning from Spain the period of notice was 6 hours.  The period of notice for wearing a mask was 10 days.  Is there a level of complexity about wearing a mask that I'm missing?

I discovered today that two people (same household)  I know have recently tested positive for Covid-19. Even for allowing for the recent increase in positive cases the relatively low figures have been greatly encouraging. It's sobering though when these statistics actually refer to people you've known for over 20 years. There are both at home so, hopefully, it will be a relatively mild case. 

Without divulging personal details, the people who you know do they know how or where they picked it up? Do they work in medical or care settings or is it likely they picked it up from going about their business in public?

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Other half is a vet nurse, said they're expecting lots of calls now as soon as their cat sneezes or has a hairball.  Given the general stupidity of the population, I sadly have a feeling there's probably going to be a lot of cats given up for adoption, abused or abandoned as a result of this, despite the facts being that a) this is very rare, b) the cat caught it from it's owners and hasn't transmitted it to any other animal or person and c)  displays relatively mild symptoms and recovers fairly quickly.   Cats (and other animals) can catch Cornaviruses just like humans so this isn't a new development as such. 

Edited by super_carson

21 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Without divulging personal details, the people who you know do they know how or where they picked it up? Do they work in medical or care settings or is it likely they picked it up from going about their business in public?

I'm not at all certain of the circumstances, they may not be themselves, and I wouldn't want to speculate. 

8 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

In a nutshell, the uphill task we face. 

Exactly.  I can't help but feel that if everyone possessed a modicum of common sense then we might have gotten through this a damn-sight quicker.   

Interesting daily deaths figure from the UK today of 7

There are 0 from Scotland, Wales & NI again, but NHS England reported 10 hospital deaths.

Granted, 3 of them were from April and are of little use now for modelling progression, but you can't just ignore them 😂

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Fair enough. I won't consider myself reassured. So many people in a confined Ryanair space spells danger for me. 

The danger is supposed to be the dry air that makes transmission easier, rather than the circulation.