Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, Paco said:

Nobody is asking for admin assistants to stay on furlough forever, but not targeting furlough to industries that will not recover is now out of step with most of Europe and effectively shooting yourself in the foot.

The government will u-turn on it. There is no doubt in my mind.

This i agree with, target it at very specific jobs that are still badly affected not every job going.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, red23 said:

This i agree with, target it at very specific jobs that are still badly affected not every job going.

Two members of my family work(ed) in the hospitality industry. Both are now unemployed.

To get back in employment, they'll either have to be very lucky, or re-train and/or re-educate themselves to head in another career direction. 

Hospitality and tourism employ hundreds of thousands of people, yet they're the sectors most negatively effected by lockdown restrictions. They should be the very first sectors to get extra government support. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I go back to my question from yesterday....'what's the government's exit plan' ?

With the Glasgow lockdown, it looks like we intend to play whack-a-mole with the virus and keep our fingers crossed that a vaccine will be found sooner rather than later. 

Lockdown and continued restrictions will only work with the support of the majority of the population. I fear that the point is coming soon where people will ask if the sacrifices they are continuing to make have any benefit. 

In the last couple of months there have been a handful of deaths in Scotland from the virus and very few IC admissions, yet Nicola Sturgeon is threatening daily to lock the country down completely. 

She's running the risk of losing the confidence of people IMHO. The draconian approached worked for the last 6 months, it won't work for another 6. 

She put all her eggs in the #ZeroCovid basket, and now those eggs have smashed, is making it up as they go along.

This shouldn't be too surprising - after spending months drawing up a route map they deviated from it after just one week.

The SNP are absolute masters at talking about how they could do things better, and this translated into praise when people thought BJ was being reckless.

What they have absolutely proven, however, beyond all reasonable doubt, is that they are far too cautious and risk averse to be effective and progressive leaders.

The "announcement" today about IndyRef2 being part of their election manifesto is a smokescreen to deflect away from what has been an absolutely disastrous 6 weeks for them.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

She put all her eggs in the #ZeroCovid basket, and now those eggs have smashed, is making it up as they go along.

This shouldn't be too surprising - after spending months drawing up a route map they deviated from it after just one week.

The SNP are absolute masters at talking about how they could do things better, and this translated into praise when people thought BJ was being reckless.

What they have absolutely proven, however, beyond all reasonable doubt, is that they are far too cautious and risk averse to be effective and progressive leaders.

The "announcement" today about IndyRef2 being part of their election manifesto is a smokescreen to deflect away from what has been an absolutely disastrous 6 weeks for them.

gg.jpg.gallery.jpg.d09eedcbf10c7fb8ffde4c989537bf66.jpg

In that 6 weeks they have polled the biggest pro Indy lead yet, I doubt they are seeing that as a disaster. Whatever the plan is, for now in support terms it's undoubtedly working for them. In what is now the lead up to an election that's all they will care about.

46 minutes ago, red23 said:

Sturgeon wanting at least a 1 year extension to furlough?

I agree its going to be a disaster when it ends but i also know several people who were bragging about how great being on it has been for the past 6 months. Some i know were actively seeking and wanting to be put on it. The taxpayer and people who work the 18 months instead would have to pay for this for the rest of their lives if so (if we won't be already).

Would you prefer it if these people on furlough were in a state of despair and depression? 

Which sectors would you like furlough to end for?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

A friend of mine had a positive test at his daughters school and parents in the community WhatsApp group embarked on a Colombo style detective quest to find out which kid it was. This is after test and trace contacted everyone who needed to know.

Pretty sure identifying them would be breaching patient confidentiality, unsure if the public can do this but certainly odd behaviour and immoral if not illegal

No but I'm more than happy for them to work remedial classes through the summer to teach thickos like yourself how to read a graph properly. 
That won't be happening. Simply not a single chance seeing as teachers aren't paid for their summer holidays.

Nice try though.

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

In that 6 weeks they have polled the biggest pro Indy lead yet, I doubt they are seeing that as a disaster. Whatever the plan is, for now in support terms it's undoubtedly working for them. In what is now the lead up to an election that's all they will care about.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the polling figures reflect the Scottish public's confidence in the way that Nicola Sturgeon has led Scotland so far. 

But that can swing the other way as well. I've got no scientific evidence...other than anecdotal comments from family and friends... for saying that we're reaching a very fine balancing point for the government, however the feeling persists that people are reaching their limit. 

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Now, more than ever, for me.

Can I recommend you avoid all Christmas adverts, because this year is going to be awful for, Now more than ever Christmas is about family or whatever phrase they use

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Not sure which of "whack-a-mole", "ramping up" or "socially distanced" (as an adjective) is my most hated overused phrase of the covid months. Its pretty fucking close. 

I quite like whack-a-mole. I'm going to use it more often now. 

I'm getting fairly sick of 'thank you' though. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Can I recommend you avoid all Christmas adverts, because this year is going to be awful for, Now more than ever Christmas is about family or whatever phrase they use

It's been a tough year for all of us. Now, more than ever, Christmas is all about family.

*heart-rending animation of granny getting fired into the sun plays*

*slowed down version of a rock song by a husky-voiced female vocalist accompanies*

Stay safe this Christmas with Tesco x

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Support for Independence doesn't necessarily equate to support for the SNP.

I'd vote yes tomorrow, but I'll never vote for the SNP again until NS is no longer the leader.