Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 minutes ago, Detournement said:

In my younger days I occasionally ended up in the jakey pubs that opened at 6am in Glasgow such as the Iron Horse or Tollbooth after a party and you got a wee roll and cheese* with every drink which the bar staff would collect off the table untouched five minutes later. 

*Cheese roll, Shirley?

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Pubs can open, but they can't sell alcohol indoors in Level 2 areas, unless doing so with a "substantial meal"

So is a panini and a side salad a substantial meal? Or would someone ordering that only be allowed a soft drink, whilst a person at the same table ordering a steak pie and chips could have a pint?

The legislation does not mention the word "substantial" but where it mentions meal it says:

Closure of drinks-only public house businesses in a Level 2 [and 3] area
(3) For the purposes of this paragraph, a “drinks-only public house business” means any public house which does not have available on its premises facilities to allow the preparation and service of a meal such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or main evening meal, or as a main course at either such meal.

And for selling alcohol indoors in a level 2 area, that can be done with a meal, if the meal—

(a) has been prepared on the premises, and

(b) is such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or main evening meal (irrespective of the actual time of service), or as a main course at either such meal.

Pubs can open, but they can't sell alcohol indoors in Level 2 areas, unless doing so with a "substantial meal"

So is a panini and a side salad a substantial meal? Or would someone ordering that only be allowed a soft drink, whilst a person at the same table ordering a steak pie and chips could have a pint?

I still don't know where you keep seeing "substantial" in the regs

ETA I just noticed you had been telt already in the post before mine

29 minutes ago, Detournement said:

In my younger days I occasionally ended up in the jakey pubs that opened at 6am in Glasgow such as the Iron Horse or Tollbooth after a party and you got a wee roll and cheese with every drink which the bar staff would collect off the table untouched five minutes later. 

They stretched to sausage (square) in the Finnieston ones 

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

The legislation does not mention the word "substantial" but where it mentions meal it says:

(3) For the purposes of this paragraph, a “drinks-only public house business” means any public house which does not have available on its premises facilities to allow the preparation and service of a meal such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or main evening meal, or as a main course at either such meal.

And for selling alcohol indoors in a level 2 area, that can be done with a meal, if the meal—

(b) is such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or main evening meal (irrespective of the actual time of service), or as a main course at either such meal.

Thanks. I'm assuming then that a pie, or a bowl of soup, would meet the criteria of B.

But that's pyoor confusing !!!

Just do as I am and stay away from all pubs and restaurants while these measures exist, I have absolutely no interest in them as it stands.

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Apart from anything else, I'd like to see the wage bill for the lawyers that have been working on this sort of stuff.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

But that's pyoor confusing !!!

But how come my I can't go round my mum's house with my mates, but if we bump into each other in asda we can only buy one packet of bog roll each. Fucking wee krankie 😡 😡 

Edited by madwullie

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
Apart from anything else, I'd like to see the wage bill for the lawyers that have been working on this sort of stuff.

I've worked interpreting SG legislation for years in conjunction with software companies and been to umpteen seminars ahead of legislative announcements and it's very rarely written with any consultation beyond civil servants. The Legislature doesn't need a legal input that's up to interpretation then if required legal challenge.

I suppose so. I've seen plenty like it as well. It looks like something written to look like it might have been written by a lawyer.

I suppose so. I've seen plenty like it as well. It looks like something written to look like it might have been written by a lawyer.
Obviously some areas will require copious legal input but something like public health will simply be left to challenge in the knowledge it probably won't be. The legislation relating to taxation and welfare that I have been dealing with probably should have more legal input as its frequently challenged (and successfully too)

46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

In my younger days I occasionally ended up in the jakey pubs that opened at 6am in Glasgow such as the Iron Horse or Tollbooth after a party and you got a wee roll and cheese with every drink which the bar staff would collect off the table untouched five minutes later. 

The afternoon squad here are getting an apple crumble and custard with their pints 

I wont name the pub, because I know for a fact that Jason Leitch has recently started reading this thread (Tam Cowan grassed us in) but I was very recently in a pub where the manager informed me he was not a big eater, and his interpretation of substantial included, a bowl of olives.

I wont name the pub, because I know for a fact that Jason Leitch has recently started reading this thread (Tam Cowan grassed us in) but I was very recently in a pub where the manager informed me he was not a big eater, and his interpretation of substantial included, a bowl of olives.
Read the good post quoting the regs above, there is no "substantial " in them I have no idea where folk keep getting this from.

Read the good post quoting the regs above, there is no "substantial " in them I have no idea where folk keep getting this from.
Yeah, the point I was making is that some pub landlords are clearly not the least bit interested as long as you order something that is food from their menu

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The monumental brass neck of you complaining about 'pedantic nitpicking' - given that your response to teuchter football not allowing fans has been to drive to the games anyway and sit in the fucking car park to watch them like an absolute loser. 

Aye, I'm a terrible man, so I am.

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

My boss was at a hotel earlier this week and asked a bowl of soup and a pint but wasnt allowed a pint as it wasnt a main meal

Either your boss, or the staff member, is, as defined by @Billy Jean King, a moron, or, as had been discussed, the guidance is subjective and poor.

Because a bowl of soup very much fits the description of:

41 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

(b) is such as might be expected to be served as the main midday or evening meal (irrespective of the actual time of service), or as a main course at either such meal.