Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Am I misreading it or is she denying the Holocaust as well? :blink:

When asked about comments referring to “genocide” when discussing corona vaccines, which saw her removed from the Nurses Roar nursing chat group with 34,000 members, she again defended her views.

She said: “What I was meaning was that nurses were fooled in the war, through the Holocaust, into giving people medication.

It's not quite full-blown denial. There are quite a few layers of Holocaust Denial. The extreme is (of course) denying it ever happened. But there's also people who acknowledge that it did happen but claim that it happened without the knowledge of 'regular' German people and soldiers, and that only a few people at the top of the Nazi Party knew about it. So that nurses believed they were giving medication, soldiers believed that prisoners were treated well (and only died of natural causes).

Of course it's a lot of shite, because the Holocaust was allowed to happen because so many 'regular' German people and soldiers actively embraced it and allowed it to happen.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It's not quite full-blown denial. There are quite a few layers of Holocaust Denial. The extreme is (of course) denying it ever happened. But there's also people who acknowledge that it did happen but claim that it happened without the knowledge of 'regular' German people and soldiers, and that only a few people at the top of the Nazi Party knew about it. So that nurses believed they were giving medication, soldiers believed that prisoners were treated well (and only died of natural causes).

Of course it's a lot of shite, because the Holocaust was allowed to happen because so many 'regular' German people and soldiers actively embraced it and allowed it to happen.

Read Hans fallada alone in Berlin, and you might understand the kind of persecution the average German was under as well

36 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Great to see Falkirk Council taking the initiative and showing faith in the honesty of our young people.

Good, properly brought up children like all the denizens of Falkirk can be trusted not to be mendacious ever.

I for one salute Falkirk Council who yet again are leading the way.

Exactly, have you seen the Falkirk thread? They are so well run, I'd put them in charge of the pandemic.

19 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

I agree with your point about shop workers not asking customers to wear masks.  A few months ago, a friend of mine got a ticking off for asking customers to wear a mask.  Apparently not for the shop staff to police it, and was told to shut the f**k up basically.  Now at Christmas time, the well known high street newsagent that my friend works for has decided to ignore the maximum numbers of people allowed into the store, not to mention cleaning rotas and social distancing.  

In response to your part about "workies".  Although I am not in any way condoning their behaviour you must realise that the government has effectively chosen to ignore THEIR safety.  Many workies, or construction workers only get paid SSP if they have to isolate and this is not enough to pay the bills.  Where is the 80% payment for them?  For those workies it would be great having an employer that had a company sick pay scheme, but most don't have that luxury.  I know someone that has came into work in with symptoms because they can't afford to take the time off.  

What was he supposed to do?

Wear a mask in shops?

Absolutely mental news that Falkirk Council are getting the actual pupils to fill in logs of every pupil they've been in 'close contact' with for every period, lunch, break, school bus and socially outwith school.
Because we all know that children (teenagers especially) always tell the truth and don't tell white lies all the time about where they've been and who they've been with.
It's exactly what the track and protect folk would do. Who else would you expect to provide such information ?

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Gaz said:
Absolutely mental news that Falkirk Council are getting the actual pupils to fill in logs of every pupil they've been in 'close contact' with for every period, lunch, break, school bus and socially outwith school.
Because we all know that children (teenagers especially) always tell the truth and don't tell white lies all the time about where they've been and who they've been with.

It's exactly what the track and protect folk would do. Who else would you expect to provide such information ?

Professional staff that don't have a vested interest in fibbing about where they've been / who they've been with?

Professional staff that don't have a vested interest in fibbing about where they've been / who they've been with?
Is this at the total exclusion to teachers or as well as ? Tracing staff at least down here speak to both. Problem reported here is your "school hater" types giving all their like minded mates as close contacts in an attempt to get them all off at the same time as opposed to not dobbing folk in.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
17 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Is this at the total exclusion to teachers or as well as ? Tracing staff at least down here speak to both. Problem reported here is your "school hater" types giving all their like minded mates as close contacts in an attempt to get them all off at the same time as opposed to not dobbing folk in.

I think you're perhaps missing my point.

I have no problem with teachers being used to accurately report close contacts. Indeed, this is why all our seating plans have to be uploaded and kept up-to-date.

What I find laughable is because of FC's crazy decision to have kids in school doing colouring-in and watching videos up until the 23rd they have realised that teachers can't be reasonably expected to be contacted on Christmas Day, and have realised that they don't have an alternative other than asking the pupils themselves. This is a massive problem.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The reason they are being asked is so that if they are contacted by the NHS tracers they they don't spend an hour humming and hawing as they have already had a thought about it and written down the info as to who they have been with.  The contact tracers don't worry about how many people they have met outside or if they have broken the guidelines they just want the correct info as quickly as possible so they can trace all their contacts

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

This sounds in direct opposition to the strict seating plans that should be in place to the outbreaks can have their close contacts identified quickly. Wtf is wrong with council's implementing very simple processes.

What's the word for when you repeatedly punish yourself by exposing yourself to stuff you know will get you angry?

Just read Sky News going on about LESS THAN HALF THE UK POPULATION COULD BE VACCINATED IN 2021!!!!

The latest emerging bullshit narrative seems to be that every single person needs to be vaccinated before life can go back to normal.

I need to stop, or my vaccine wont be able to overcome my blood pressure.

30 minutes ago, Gaz said:

...Of course it's a lot of shite, because the Holocaust was allowed to happen because so many 'regular' German people and soldiers actively embraced it and allowed it to happen.

Daniel Goldhagen's Hitler's Willing Executioners pushed that idea very hard about 25 years ago but it got a mixed reception in scholarly circles. Think more recently Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands does a better job of examining the dynamics of what was going on at the time by reframing what happened more towards what the einsatzgruppen did in the east where most of the murders unfolded in what Snyder referred to as the "bloodlands" (pre-1939 Poland, the Baltics, and parts of Ukraine and Belarus). His argument being that the complete breakdown of a functioning state's legal system away from the core German Reich was very important to create the environment where the Holocaust could unfold along with local people (not the Poles, more western Ukrainians and Baltic nationalities) participating as a way of proving their usefulness to the new powers that be after previously collaborating with the Soviets in 1939. How did the COVID thread get into this? Cannae be bothered looking back to check and won't be posting any follow ups.

What's the word for when you repeatedly punish yourself by exposing yourself to stuff you know will get you angry?

Just read Sky News going on about LESS THAN HALF THE UK POPULATION COULD BE VACCINATED IN 2021!!!!

The latest emerging bullshit narrative seems to be that every single person needs to be vaccinated before life can go back to normal.

I need to stop, or my vaccine wont be able to overcome my blood pressure.
To be honest I'd be surprised if I was vaccinated next year. I'm 29 with no underlying health issues so fully expect to be near the bottom of the list.

I also don't see any reasons for restrictions to be in place while the likes of myself are waiting to be vaccinated. Although you can never be sure, the worst I'd expect from a dose of Covid is a few days in bed. There's certainly no reason for barbers, gyms, pubs etc. to be restricted until every single person has had the vaccine.

It can't be said enough - get the vulnerable and at risk categories jagged and let the rest of us get on with it.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

To be honest I'd be surprised if I was vaccinated next year. I'm 29 with no underlying health issues so fully expect to be near the bottom of the list.

I also don't see any reasons for restrictions to be in place while the likes of myself are waiting to be vaccinated. Although you can never be sure, the worst I'd expect from a dose of Covid is a few days in bed. There's certainly no reason for barbers, gyms, pubs etc. to be restricted until every single person has had the vaccine.

It can't be said enough - get the vulnerable and at risk categories jagged and let the rest of us get on with it.

I totally agree, but it worries me just how little that is being said. 

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

This sounds in direct opposition to the strict seating plans that should be in place to the outbreaks can have their close contacts identified quickly. Wtf is wrong with council's implementing very simple processes.

I'm going to guess that with schools having teacher shortages due to a mystery that we just can't get to the bottom of, schools with be mixing classes together for the last week (due to less pupils being in) and thus standard seating plans won't necessarily be accurate.

I got a bit of a hard time from some of my pupils the past couple of days by refusing to let them sit next to their mates even when two-thirds of my classes were off, because I wanted my seating plans to continue to be accurate.