Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

No I think that was Threads. You could also prop a mattress against the wall and hide behind that.

Seems as good a plan as any at the moment.

I just thought that sky news this morning had the feel and look of an apocalyptic tv drama.

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

To be fair in some hospitals it’s been first come first serve with admin staff who had the time to sit on hold on the phone getting it first, so he’s not actually far off.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true.

100% fact. Released on an internal website in batches. Those who are able to sit and refresh are able to catch a slot. Those who are with patients can't. Doesn't ask your role, so no way to prioritise staff. People asking their mates to sort them with an app if they get logged in etc. NHS Lanarkshire. 

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

100% fact. Released on an internal website in batches. Those who are able to sit and refresh are able to catch a slot. Those who are with patients can't. Doesn't ask your role, so no way to prioritise staff. People asking their mates to sort them with an app if they get logged in etc. NHS Lanarkshire. 

I can't speak for NHS Lanarkshire, but I know for a fact that NHS Highland have prioritised their staff based on their roles within Raigmore Hospital and divided them into "groups". So ICU staff were Group 1 and received their first dose a few weeks ago or whatever, and maintenance staff, for example, are something like Group 10.

The online booking idea was binned because the website didn't work properly.

I'd be surprised if NHS Lanarkshire wasn't doing the same.

It's an absolute certainty that they realise how much they fucked up with the relaxation of restrictions for Christmas, and that they can't surely go much longer without admitting that schools are a massive driver, so they've embellished (to what degree is up for debate) the danger of this mutation to save face rather than admit they've fucked up. Hence why all the chat about how concerned they are about other countries closing travel - it's not something that even entered their heads.

If schools are the massive driver why do some regions have levels in the 20/30’s whilst others are at nearly 200 per 100,000. Every region has schools and I would think probably all are run along similar lines, might be wrong.

It seems likely that there are multiple reasons for higher infection rates and that maybe schools aren’t the cess pits of infection some on here claim.

1 minute ago, Cairn Terrier said:

If schools are the massive driver why do some regions have levels in the 20/30’s whilst others are at nearly 200 per 100,000. Every region has schools and I would think probably all are run along similar lines, might be wrong.

It seems likely that there are multiple reasons for higher infection rates and that maybe schools aren’t the cess pits of infection some on here claim.

Bigger more densely populated schools maybe?

1 minute ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Plenty big schools in remoter places.
Stranraer Academy about 1200 pupils, Oban used to be about the same.
Can’t imagine the schools in Inverness are small.

How many in the area compared to Glasgow or Edinburgh, then there's the logistics of getting to and returning, before transmission in more densely populated areas?

51 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Can anyone remember the film "Threads" which came out in the 1980s?

It depicts what life would be like if the UK was attacked with nuclear weapons but I feel it could also provide a useful insight into what life could be like over the next few months. Take away the radiation sickness and its otherwise pretty accurate.

I remember it well.  It showed how Sheffield became a shithole after it had been nuked.

Full Monty made it look just as grim but without any nukes.

13 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Schools accelerate existing community transmission

How many in the area compared to Glasgow or Edinburgh, then there's the logistics of getting to and returning, before transmission in more densely populated areas?

Well I don’t know that the number of schools in the area would have much impact if there is very little infection in the schools. Travel might be more of a factor right enough. Is that a fault of the schools or the wider travelling public?

Plenty big schools in remoter places.

Stranraer Academy about 1200 pupils, Oban used to be about the same.

Can’t imagine the schools in Inverness are small.

C'mon stop bringing reality into the anti schools brigade arguments. We have schools here with 1200 pupils that have had under a dozen confirmed cases since the summer, a few less than that, then one or two with far less pupils in smaller towns with bigger numbers. There may be specific schools in specific areas with large numbers but that really is just symptomatic of the transmission in that area in general. Schools will be driving spread no more than factories or food processing plants. The right policy is closing schools with big outbreaks, not a blanket closure.

That said NOWHERE bar your own house possibly (assuming it's kept clean) can truly be described as "safe" in the current climate.

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Schools will be driving spread no more than factories or food processing plants.

The government's own statistics have schools contributing 0.4 to the R rate. "Factories or food processing plants" aren't contributing anywhere near that.