Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Glen Sannox said:

Hence the reason so many SNP types side with them. The “Brexit becoming a farce, bed wetters thread” was awash with “ go Macron” shite!

Certainly leaves me red faced having just been on my soap box in the works canteen about how great Macron is. I even interrupted football chat to extol the virtues of Macron.

Didn't think this was the way I would be convinced Brexit is in fact a good idea, but hey.... As long as we all get there in the end.

Spoiler

Minter

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Is this some kind of wires crossed thing where Macron beat an actual racist to become president and everyone went "that is about the best outcome" and this has made GS think we all love him?

Think you need to go further back in the circuit to find the wiring faults in this case

Me and the missus were discussing this very issue a few minutes ago.

I'm a teacher and she works in a nursery, and without any family within 80 miles we needed to get our kids a place in their school. Now it looks like I'll be working from home so I'll just look after them - but there are folk out there getting places and intending to use them even though they themselves are working from home.

They've made the criteria for key workers so open that schools will be running at a fairly decent rate i reckon, especially primaries.

There's something about this lockdown that feels very un-lockdowny.
From what I'm hearing, this is because the Scottish Government only want pupils in where there is no realistic alternative childcare. They want as few pupils in schools as possible. If you're a key worker but are working from home, you don't get a space.
Local councils have either deliberately or intentionally misunderstood this guidance and some have been offering places to all and sundry. What should have been happening over the past couple of days is that schools should have been ordered to dramatically reduce the number of pupils in school.
It seems there are two issues - one of the problems is that some workplaces which aren't really essential are still making people come into work (including the council where my Sister in Law works, where they want her to come in to do stuff in the stockroom rather than doing admin work from home) and the second is the strange list of essential jobs which doesn't include a lot of jobs which clearly are essential (there was no mention of anything to do with transport other than for food supplies, so no bus drivers, train drivers, taxi drivers, mechanics etc. are not on the list, so their kids aren't going to get a place automatically).

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

imageproxy.jpeg

That is very funny, good stuff. The Nats are by far the best at banter, I mean, just look at that hilarious Janey Godley. All that’s missing here is some of that really original gammon material. 

59 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

That is very funny, good stuff. The Nats are by far the best at banter, I mean, just look at that hilarious Janey Godley. All that’s missing here is some of that really original gammon material. 

If you’re looking for some good gammon material then look up Brexit.

That shit is hilarious.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

At risk of doing a Leeds, here's her linkedin profile. Works in PR and marketing. Her bio humbly states: "As a person, strong, joyful, humorous, positive, flexible, ambitious, and empathic. Always curious, advanced level of marketing analytics, hands-on problem solver and a quick learner". Learn where you're no wanted hen.

Got an email an hour ago saying today's test was negative, very pleased as the logistics of self isolating on my own with some bad weather on the way was going to be a pain in the arse (girlfriend dropping off supplies when shes useless at driving etc). Also reassuring that folk are obviously working round the clock at he testing side for me to get a notification after midnight.

Guest TheJTS98
4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Where does everyone think we will be in 6 months time?

More or less where things have been for the last few months.

I think people getting their hopes up for much improvement this year are misguided. There'll be progress, but I think less than many people assume.

ETA: Malaysia is starting vaccination of healthcare people etc next month, and the government has already told people to expect pretty much nothing to change for at least 6 months. It'll be a slow process everywhere, I think.

Edited by TheJTS98

I'll be absolutely fuming if we haven't made massive leaps towards normality in 6 months. My anger will of course be utterly trivial compared to the suffering of far too many others if that is the case

Pretty much same for me. I hate the thought of my kids thinking face masks etc are the norm

It seems there are two issues - one of the problems is that some workplaces which aren't really essential are still making people come into work (including the council where my Sister in Law works, where they want her to come in to do stuff in the stockroom rather than doing admin work from home) and the second is the strange list of essential jobs which doesn't include a lot of jobs which clearly are essential (there was no mention of anything to do with transport other than for food supplies, so no bus drivers, train drivers, taxi drivers, mechanics etc. are not on the list, so their kids aren't going to get a place automatically).
London boroughs reporting some schools there have up to 70% of normal looking to be placed back in school with averages close to 50%. If this is to work it needs toughening up. Main issues seems to be parents complaining of a lack of access devices in multiple child households.

All shows how few actually bothered to attempt any schooling from home in the first lockdown as these issues would have been just as prevalent then.

49 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Pretty much same for me. I hate the thought of my kids thinking face masks etc are the norm

Imagine being a 21 year old just coming out of Uni, or a 17 year old just going in. Theres so many different scenarios that are damaging to people in different ways. It's just such a fucking huge mess. If steps arent taken to get life back to normal by summer I really fear for the consequences, in all seriousness. 

Yeah, we had barely any cases last summer which was, as it turns out, in the middle of the pandemic. So unless the new variants are also weather-proof it’ll fizzle this year too.

The summer will be fairly normal. I’m still not convinced about full capacity at football games or concerts, but they’ll be happening with big crowds. I expect 40-50k at Wembley in the Euros, for example. And I don’t think we’ll have packed pubs where you wander in and stand at the bar. But I also doubt there’ll be household limits or pre-booked slots only.

Close to normality, but not quite is my expectation. At least one full-blown panic with borders closed due to a new, potentially vaccine resistant strain found somewhere.