Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

It's not so much that I want a positive message to "feel better" but rather that I want to know that, at some point, we will have our lives back.  

But you do know that.

7 minutes ago, DMCs said:

At the moment the forecast for 75% vaccinated looks like mid July. I can't see how we can be back to reasonably normal before mid August.

Are Governments and agencies still ignoring immunity via natural infection? One of the biggest sweep sweep sweep aspects of this pandemic.

13 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I've never got the sense of the Lake District as being somewhere anyone from Scotland would go voluntarily...if you look at a map of here, there's a goodly proportion of it coloured blue.

We're spoiled in a way - I remember sailing to Norway and an announcement coming over the tannoy in the ship that we were now in some fjord or other and it was a photo opportunity. My mate and I went up onto the deck, had a look for five minutes, decided it just looked like the top end of Loch Lomond and went back to the bar.

I quite like the Lake District, easy enough to around with no car. Maybe Im strange I like to go on wee breaks to England. Only place in Scotland id not consider is any place with weegies .

Canadian researchers find COVID-19 antibodies last for months, likely years: https://globalnews.ca/news/7589668/canadian-researchers-coronavirus-antibodies/

But now 10 months since he became infected with COVID-19, Jackson’s antibodies remain robust. And COVID-19 researchers are growing increasingly optimistic that immunity — whether acquired through infection or vaccination — will endure for some time.

“We know several people that were infected back in February and they still have quite a bit of antibodies,” said Anne-Claude Gingras, a biochemist and senior investigator at the LTRI, who developed one of the earliest COVID-19 antibodies tests.

“The neutralizing antibodies decline a little bit, but they decline very, very slowly.”

Gingras points to SARS as an example of another coronavirus that can result in long-lasting immunity. “We have at least one person, the only person whose blood we have access to, who is still walking around with a fairly high level of antibodies to SARS-CoV-1, that were acquired presumably in 2003.”

Recent studies suggest the level of antibodies from COVID-19 peak after around four weeks, but remain relatively stable across age groups for at least eight months (the period for which data on the new coronavirus is available).

A study of COVID-19 in monkeys found that even relatively low antibody counts were sufficient for protection against re-infection.

“Based on the decay curves to those immune responses, we can extrapolate that immunity to the virus should last a number of years, at least to the viral variant that one was exposed to. So that’s great news,” said Jennifer Gommerman, an immunologist at the University of Toronto’s Temerty Faculty of Medicine.

32 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Yes but even Israel have said it’s in the preliminary stages and needs more research and peer-review to verify those numbers. This was quite helpful 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/25/world/middleeast/israels-vaccine-data.html

Just as well we've got all that finalised data from the vaccine trials that tell us the exact same fucking story.

Under no rational circumstances would we be looking at such convincing trial data, clear evidence on the ground from mass vaccination programmes and the clear impact of vaccinations on categories of hospital admission and state 'we just don't know whether it works or not!' This is a commonly-held myth, perpetuated by leaders who want to keep the public in the dark and therefore more vigilant for as long as they see fit.

Facts, however, do not lie. 

Restrictions getting lifted here Saturday😄  

Schools are going back on Monday and I'll be at work again, none of this WFH with 3 kids and online learning for 2 of them, while the wife fucks off to work everyday from 07:15 to 18:00.

BTW here is a ranking of countries on the Covid performance done by some Australian mob https://interactives.lowyinstitute.org/features/covid-performance/#rankings

Thailand ranked 4th. 

51 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

They're not providing it because they don't have it.

The vaccine timetable could change due to unforeseen problems. The length of time the vaccine gives protection for is unknown at the moment and we don't know if the efficacy will be wearing off in some before we get to younger people. We don't know the difference in the effect of lockdown as compared to the effect of vaccinations on any fall in reported cases etc.

It's frustrating and it goes against our instincts that tell us someone clever somewhere must know all this stuff. But it's just not the case.

You're clearly not understanding the point being made.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

The "the government can't promise things" brigade should also realise, I don't think many are asking for "Is it to be May? Is it June pubs are open?! etc", it's more "What % of folk vaccinated/% capacity ICU are we looking at to loosen things and get to normality/accepting Covid exists".

The former is indeed a harder thing for the government's to answer, the latter (if we're talking just domestic restrictions rather than travel) is a very reasonable thing to ask the government to do, considering everyone's lives have been ruined for almost an entire year. 

Bingo.

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That also doesnt take into account the forecast ramp up in production by AZ and the J&J vaccine approval next month..?

I think it does. From the phrasing "agreed vaccine supply deals" it's based on if the deals are fulfilled. Which means if we have production issues or blocked vaccine exports or something then the forecast will have been too optimistic. 

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Can you provide a source for this assertion?

You want a source for the view that life will one day return to normal?

I suppose I could turn that round and ask you if you think there's any possibility that in 50 years we'll all still be living under covid-19 restrictions.

I think you are ruining this thread and I'm not getting involved with you on this one any further.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, superbigal said:

New table of performance rankings from the LOWY INSTITUTE

https://interactives.lowyinstitute.org/features/covid-performance/#rankings

66th place and even behind Belarus !!  Sweden places 37th.

I recall certain posters on here ridiculing the validity of the views of the Malaysian Director General for Health back in March/April last year when advice here differed from the UK. Some top class casual racism.

Just the 50 places above the UK.

Edited by TheJTS98

7 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

You want a source for the view that life will one day return to normal?

I suppose I could turn that round and ask you if you think there's any possibility that in 50 years we'll all still be living under covid-19 restrictions.

I think you are ruining this thread and I'm not getting involved with you on this one any further.

Lot of words for "no"

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

There is a distinct possibility that there will be variants that are considerably less effective or not effective at all.

Until vaccination and better sequencing picks up in the developing world, there are going to be restrictions on international travel.

This is absolutely wrong.