Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Jason Leitch can f**k off. An utterly depressing, sorry excuse of a human being. 
I genuinely think he enjoys making these comments. 

They're all absolutely loving this limelight. They couldn't have dreamt they would ever be this 'relevant' or 'important'. Celebrities for life now.

Sridhar will be on Strictly in the next few years, mark my words.

There's also the fact that in many countries the virus is simply going to circulate and eventually reach an equilibrium with reduced spread.
The pandemic should really be over in an epidemiological sense by the end of this year in the northern hemisphere.
What, it was declared over by Todd last summer so you don't get 2nd dibs !

Another question I have regarding zero covid. 

Given our cases are now down to around 140 per 100000, why is Devi saying about normality for the start of next year if we use this approach.  It shouldn’t shouldn’t take longer than about three months in our current lockdown position to get the numbers to a minuscule level. 
It will only take 3 months with restrictions as they are. I don't see too many folk accepting these restriction until May !

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Does anybody know of people that have been on furlough since day one?

Ten months of doing f**k all must be quite hard going. 

I've worked 4 weeks since the middle of March. It's not been easy, but at the same time I know my job is safe.

I'd hate to be in the position where that wasn't the case - that would be brutal.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:
Another question I have regarding zero covid. 

Given our cases are now down to around 140 per 100000, why is Devi saying about normality for the start of next year if we use this approach.  It shouldn’t shouldn’t take longer than about three months in our current lockdown position to get the numbers to a minuscule level. 

It will only take 3 months with restrictions as they are. I don't see too many folk accepting these restriction until May !

I’m not even sure if it will take as long as three months. Numbers halved in the space of a month, so hopefully end of March numbers will be negligible and you would like to think hospitals won’t be under pressure. 

Edited by No_Problemo

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Elixir said:
There's also the fact that in many countries the virus is simply going to circulate and eventually reach an equilibrium with reduced spread.
The pandemic should really be over in an epidemiological sense by the end of this year in the northern hemisphere.

What, it was declared over by Todd last summer so you don't get 2nd dibs !

Last summer I was always filled with a foreboding sense of dread for what this winter would bring. You just have to look at previous pandemics to see how it was likely going to play out. That said, with much more naturally acquired immunity come March onwards, coupled with mass vaccinations, the epidemic should really be on the way out by late summer in Europe and North America.

33 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

Unless things have changed in the last few years, there is no vaccination for Malaria, only prophylactics. They don’t stop you contracting Malaria, just help reduce the severity

I know that. Hence using rich westerners getting a malaria vaccination as part of an analogy was stupid. 

Genuinely felt more positive about the future with regards to falling numbers of cases/over 80s being vaccinated shortly (where the majority of deaths have happened) and lessened restrictions in the near future.

f**k Leitch.

Edited by gav-ffc

2 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

What were the numbers when we exited lockdown last May(?) - in terms of numbers testing positive and hospital admissions. How do we compare to that now? 

31st  May we had 6 deaths but we only had 3309 tests being done at that time

Genuinely felt more positive about the future with regards to falling numbers of cases/over 80s being vaccinated shortly (where the majority of deaths have happened) and lessened restrictions in the near future.
f**k Leitch.
The only crumb of comfort I can offer is Leitch isn't right with his claims all that often. I said it before, but if he said grass was green I'd still go out and check.

Personal experience time - fifth day since developing symptoms (cough and raised temperature), and third since test result. Feeling a bit below par, but so far (fingers crossed) nothing drastic in the breathing department.
One thing is bugging me, mind. Test and bloody trace. Got my result on Wednesday, and advice (which is actually a legal instruction) was to isolate for ten days from onset of symptoms, which took me to the 4th-next Thursday. As a public minded citizen,I then installed the"NHS" Covid app on my phone. According to the app, I have to isolate until the 6th, I.e. Ten days from setting the app up. Then, to put the icing on the cake, Mrs WRK tested positive, getting her result yesterday. Obviously we have listed each other as contacts, and I got a meagre today telling me I must isolate until the 8th. Complete bollocks, as confirmed by a conversation with a tracer later on, but we have lined Tory donors' pockets to the tune of billions of pounds for this fiasco.