Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 31/01/2020 at 09:10, Ross. said:

Pretty sure I read earlier that Italy has one confirmed case. Waiting on Austria doing the same then it will be time to blow up the borders.

On 31/01/2020 at 09:36, GiGi said:

And UK is now on the board with 2 confirmed infected. Remember folks, double tap.

On 31/01/2020 at 10:08, Margaret Thatcher said:

giphy.gif.35a55dec0cb3661e3b786bb69defb029.gif

On 31/01/2020 at 23:34, PB1994 said:

It is great to see is finally get on the board. Hopefully it’s not too late to get into the medal positions.

Presume this will be the same ranking system as the Olympics where deaths/golds get you higher up the table?

On 01/02/2020 at 07:29, LongTimeLurker said:

From what's being claimed online by people who appear to be credible scientists the virus is much more potentially lethal for Asian males than other groups due to a receptor that is involved in getting infected through the lungs. Not a sensible bioweapon for China's PLA if that's the case.

Another couple of months and most of the heavily inhabited parts of the northern hemisphere will be too warm for this virus to easily survive, but this could become a new addition to the annual flu season, unfortunately.

On 01/02/2020 at 19:17, LongTimeLurker said:

I'd take media and twitter coverage of that sort of thing with a pinch of salt. It's probably going to be something like a heart attack, but they are not going to take any chances. This outbreak has to be treated cautiously because of the risk of any new virus mutating into something a lot more virulent that could create a global pandemic like the Spanish flu at the end of WWI but so far the levels of fear being generated are a case of mass hysteria, because that's not particularly likely and things have not been following that script.

Some highlights from a year ago today (and yesterday).

Different times.

27 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Some groups of people never get a mention when it comes to the direct or indirect effects of COVID-19 and the restrictions placed. Homeless people dying of the cold because shelters are subject to the same restrictions as everywhere else and can only allow a certain number of people in at one time or who have had to close.

An article about the problem in in Rome

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/01/rome-covid-rough-sleeper-deaths-italy

In Britain I've heard or seen nothing in any news, considering there will be people who fall under the radar here as well and there will be a lot of new homeless, it's another example of hidden news, everyone distracted by COVID-19.

There were a lot of feelgood stories about housing the homeless in he first wave, not so much now as the photos I've seen from the homeless project seems to have very busy soup kitchens set up in Glasgow city centre.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/homeless-charity-virtually-eradicated-rough-18647935

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-coronavirus-outbreak-eradicated-homelessness-18520374

Now it seems as though it may have been a bit of spin.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/18/reports-of-rough-sleeping-in-uk-rose-sharply-during-lockdown

There's still ample opportunity to screw it up. When someone says 'i hope we are all vaccinated soon', what they are really saying is 'hopefully we can go to the pub soon'. I think we are quite far from the latter. 

Of course there is. If that time comes then we can criticise. However, they are doing well so far which is the first time this can be said during this

Study today showing that covid antibodies cross the placenta in the vast majority of cases and confer immunity on newborn infants from the mother. 

Fucking brilliant. Dunno if this is normal stuff in terns of immunity, but sounds pretty fucking excellent to me 👍 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Over 20% of care home staff in England have refused the vaccine. No reason to assume that figure will be different elsewhere in the UK. In some homes it's over 40%. Little wonder so many are still dying in homes weeks after the vaccinators have been and gone !

They should be fucking sacked then.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I smoke drink take drugs and eat shite but theres no way im taking a scientifically tested vaccine. 

Youtube says its bad.

:lol:

Sounds like a mad one!

44 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Here's a video where Femi interviews  Bill Hanage about what happens after the vulnerable are vaccinated. Addresses some of the questions being asked on here:

Just to give a bit further context to this, he's purely talking in a sense of DURING vaccine rollout. Not in a vaccinated world. I think most people would probably agree that this is a sensible approach.

image.png.bd780642fe3268ce8576572bedb50b0f.png