Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've been saying this for a while, thought crime has been sneaking in over the past couple of years and many seem to think it's perfectly correct, which is even more worrying in my book.

Well I look forward to all the free speech warriors rallying round this man the same way they did Count Dankula or whichever multi-millionaire that Tumblr teens have cancelled

I'm certain that will be in relation to a tweet I saw along the lines of "The only good british soldier is a dead british soldier" quoting a news article reporting his death.

Whilst it's nonsense, distasteful, unnecessary "look at me" behaviour, i'm not convinced I particularly like the direction we have been heading over the last few years where offending people is now seen a criminal act.

The clamour by the public to "make this person famous" and get them sacked etc because they hold a view that the majority don't agree with isn't healthy.

Look at the reaction to the rugby players not all kneeling down before the games over the weekend. It seems many on social media now see standing up almost as a racist gesture. Bonkers.

PS Nobody takes a knee before Bundesliga games. Nobody loses their minds.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

All joking aside, whatever was said may well have been in poor taste but I can't imagine a situation whereby it was bordering on anything approaching hate-speech.  Charging folk for saying or cracking jokes that are in bad taste is an extremely worrying trend.  

I often wonder if it's social media and the Americans which have killed the art of wit, sarcasm, facetious comments etc, they just don't seem to get it and I've noticed lots of young people seem to also lack this understanding, which I find seriously worrying.

Everything nowadays seems to be taken at face value and in a literal sense where even someone could say to their mate in the pub (when they reopen obviously) "I'll tell you, I could have killed them", and next thing someone who overheard said conversation is on to the cops reporting an attempted murder. It sounds ridiculous, but that's more or less where we're at.

I often wonder if it's social media and the Americans which have killed the art of wit, sarcasm, facetious comments etc, they just don't seem to get it and I've noticed lots of young people seem to also lack this understanding, which I find seriously worrying.
Everything nowadays seems to be taken at face value and in a literal sense where even someone could say to their mate in the pub (when they reopen obviously) "I'll tell you, I could have killed them", and next thing someone who overheard said conversation is on to the cops reporting an attempted murder. It sounds ridiculous, but that's more or less where we're at.

You can get jailed for just saying you are British now.

8 hours ago, Burnieman said:
8 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
The models suggest it could be 5 times that number, no one really knows we need to wait and see. I agree 100% at flu levels it's not an issue. I'm not in that camp at all.

We have vaccines that reduce death to almost zero. How do they get to the point of modelling 130k deaths?

@Granny Danger

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

The problem with folk in the USA is if they say they’re going to kill someone it’s maybe not wit, sarcasm or facetiousness.

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Why is it "ridiculous" to expect GP's to do more on a Sunday?  I just don't get this acceptance that Sunday's are going to be shite and that is just the way it is.

Mrs works in a practice with 5 GPs, many do out of hours cover over evenings and weekends as well as their practice work. Its not sustainable if you want primary services to still be available and given the pressure on hospitals just now there’s never been a harder time for GPs to try and manage patients in the community to take the strain off hospitals. That coupled with several sectors not really engaging patients face to face has put even further strain on GP practices. Shes contracted to work 40hrs a week but is having to do stuff on days off and evenings (especially with ever changing health board guidance and trying to find vaccine clinic locations which have to be recced etc) then its more like a 60hr week, which is hard for her because I work shifts with little quality time off meaning because of restrictions we have serious childcare issues too. The pressure and strain on GP staff is incredible and I think youre not really understanding that. Shes been incredibly strong through this, im genuinely astonished as I think i’d be absolutely broken by it. 

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not implying that either, what I am saying is that opening a GP's on a Sunday isn't an unattainable goal and we should be working towards a 7 day operation to help vaccinations.  I'm not sure why that is seen as something "ridiculous".

GP’s could never be part of the 7 day roll out. 

Anyone who thinks NS is "cautious " or negative at Daily briefings better not have watching Hancock's half hour this evening ! Jings that's grim stuff. Never mind not booking a holiday abroad it's "too early " to even be booking a UK holiday....says the "great British summer" peddler.
Doesn't he already have Cornwall booked?