Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I believe that pubs will be the same as they were in the autumn - facemask on to go to seat then aff - and table service only. Too much doom and gloom around, thats the problem when you get 10,000 experts and a million non-experts with a say - the press only latch onto the sensationalism

That was fine the one time I went into a pub last year with my wife.  Not a chance I'd be doing that to watch a Scotland game with my mates though.  Sterile pish.

No idea why this appeared on my feed, but thought it was very apt given the current chatter.
The replies [emoji85][emoji85]

I actually saw that which was part of the reason i brought it up. It is true but people are getting offended by it.

The below picture is an example of the wrong message to send out. Now i am not sitting here saying she is ugly but surely glamourising obesity like this is completely wrong and sends out the wrong message?

Edited to add. As i mentioned earlier, the reverse is also true whereby we promote these stick thin models.

IMG_1613120419.488053.thumb.jpg.e28f9659d30fbd6541091ef83c8f0732.jpg

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

but surely glamourising obesity like this is completely wrong and sends out the wrong message?

I would say so.

It's very odd. We wouldn't glamorise excessive alcohol consumption, or drug taking, on magazine covers yet we encourage fat people to be "body positive" and "love your body" rather than lose weight, because we don't want to offend them.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I would say so.

It's very odd. We wouldn't glamorise excessive alcohol consumption, or drug taking, on magazine covers yet we encourage fat people to be "body positive" and "love your body" rather than lose weight, because we don't want to offend them.

I think there's a minority of people that would like to frame obesity as a 'beauty' issue rather than a health one. Which should be immediately thrown in the sea.

However, it should also be recognised that it's a minority there's still a huge stigma around being fat that is entirely unhelpful.

6 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

The old “eating healthy is expensive” myth appears to have reared its head again.

To get to some of the morbidly obese sizes you must be stacking away some amount food which isn’t cheap no matter what!

BMI is shit though, I was running three 5k a week and anything upto a 9 miler on sundays after my third kid. Was down to size 12 but I’ve got big tits so still hit high on overweight bmi.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

However, it should also be recognised that it's a minority there's still a huge stigma around being fat that is entirely unhelpful.

There should be a stigma around being fat tbh. It's the lack of such stigma that allows people to eat themselves into the shape of Snorlax, then get offended if they get called out.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

There should be a stigma around being fat tbh. It's the lack of such stigma that allows people to eat themselves into the shape of Snorlax, then get offended if they get called out.

Yes but there's a balance. Some of the language used can be crippling for people. I suspect most obese people put plenty of stigma on themselves without being shamed from outside.

The stigma should be health professionals advising them and framing it from a health perspective.

Listening to Dr Michael McBride - "We'll maybe get a summer like last summer, which we can all look forward to". I was hoping by summer with vaccinatiors ripping through the population, and the R number below 1, which it is at the moment, and cases, hospitalisations and deaths all falling we would got rid of restrictions by summer.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

To get to some of the morbidly obese sizes you must be stacking away some amount food which isn’t cheap no matter what!

BMI is shit though, I was running three 5k a week and anything upto a 9 miler on sundays after my third kid. Was down to size 12 but I’ve got big tits so still hit high on overweight bmi.

This, BMI used to be something I was hugely hung up on. 

I was racking up about 40-50k a week on the roads/treadmills and doing chin ups at one point and was still classed as not at my ideal weight.

Lowering people’s self esteem to stop them binge eating?

Are you quite sure you’ve thought this through?

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Where ? Outside of this echo chamber every poll you see supports the measures hugely. Last weekend I read one where 45% want TIGHTENING of restrictions. I see no public wavering on these issues at all.

Even the local Facebook groups are full of 'get the borders shut' bar the odd poppy daft, are brave boiz types.

Sadly this is true. I'd argue it's not just "this echo chamber" though, I think it's more demographic led to be opposed to having everything shut.

Another factor in those poll numbers would be that there are loads of boomers who want everyone else welded to the sofa but believe they have a divine right to go about their lives. You see it on here with the "AV GOAT A WIFE" brigade getting angry at the roads being busy as they drive down to Morrisons to pick up a packet of digestives for the 17th day in a row ("some stupid cunt in a wheelchair wasn't even wearing a mask!").

Just now, djchapsticks said:

This, BMI used to be something I was hugely hung up on. 

I was racking up about 40-50k a week on the roads/treadmills and doing chin ups at one point and was still classed as not at my ideal weight.

BMI can be useful across a large population of people i.e. a high BMI across a population can indicate an obesity problem.

It's shite for individuals. I'm a bigger build than average so my BMI is always a bit higher even if I'm low on body fat.

The most effective way to lose weight is to take up smoking, I'm surprised this isnt official govt advice by now.
It's also the most effective way to save money.

You just need to take up smoking then quit and stick away any money that you would normally have spent on fags.