Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I reckon the SG will look to keep the restrictions longer with the hope that they can lift them more effectively and with less risk of having to re-impose again but they must be getting close to that point where the current level of restriction is not going to be accepted/ followed by the majority.

I do think that face masks in enclosed spaces and on transport will remain for the rest of the year and some steps like the sanitation stations in shops should be kept anyway.

Edited to add: I know the news picked up on it last night but the fact that Falkirk and Clackmannanshire are apparently around 40% up on their 7 day figures for cases wont help get things lifted either

Edited by EdinburghPar1975

They've already set 22nd as return for a lot of school pupils etc. I suspect they'll say we'll wait and see after a few weeks of schools being back.
That is already in the public domain. Was there ever a plan in Scotland to issue a roadmap for reopening at the review on the 16th ? I can't remember that being announced.

10 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Possibly correct but, again, that is an easy excuse to make. It just requires some organisation and self-discipline

It's not an excuse, the self-discipline required is far easier for those working 9 to 5.

And it is correct, no possibly about it, thankfully you're looking nowt like me this morning. 

Edited by ayrmad

Possibly correct but, again, that is an easy excuse to make. It just requires some organisation and self-discipline
Your talking shit. There are huge correlations with mental health and numerous other social and economic issues. The principal is very basic ie eat less exercise more but it's a massively complex issue beyond that. Anyone who thinks it's simply a matter of willpower is sadly lacking in knowledge of the subject

Just now, ayrmad said:

It's not an excuse, the self-discipline required is far easier for those working 9 to 5.

The term excuse can sound dismissive, but it's kind of true.

I'd agree it's more difficult for those working awkward hours or have childcare burdens etc, but it is still within people's gift to carve out a routine and diet to be healthier.

7 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Amongst the many reasons I’m getting increasingly less optimistic of any kind of return to normality (as opposed to Sturgeon’s ‘greater normality’) this year, is the persistent rumour (I have my ear to the grapevine on this, so it’s a bit more than a ‘rumour’ tbh) that Scot Gov has already advised the Edinburgh Fringe not to expect to be able to stage any indoor events this year, and that’s in August. The expectation is for the Fringe to be reduced to a limited number of outdoor, socially-distanced events, with alcohol either strictly limited or banned altogether (pop-up bars are a no no apparently - entirely consistent with Scot Gov’s Calvinist puritanical streak). A fairly dismal prospect, given we’ll be a full 18 months into this absolute shitstorm by then.

I'll be muggy.png.f66ca8b65a42fbd50bf3d3fb7e960cc6.pngif we don't get a decent version of the Fringe this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/12/snap-five-day-covid-lockdown-for-victoria-announced-in-bid-to-contain-uk-variant

Another example of Australia's strategy being not quite the super dreamboat some would have us think: snap lockdowns until they actually follow the rest of the world and jag their population. 

16 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

I reckon the SG will look to keep the restrictions longer with the hope that they can lift them more effectively and with less risk of having to re-impose again but they must be getting close to that point where the current level of restriction is not going to be accepted/ followed by the majority.

I do think that face masks in enclosed spaces and on transport will remain for the rest of the year and some steps like the sanitation stations in shops should be kept anyway.

Edited to add: I know the news picked up on it last night but the fact that Falkirk and Clackmannanshire are apparently around 40% up on their 7 day figures for cases wont help get things lifted either

Like they did last year? Because that went so well and was completely worth it. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
16 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Your talking shit. There are huge correlations with mental health and numerous other social and economic issues. The principal is very basic ie eat less exercise more but it's a massively complex issue beyond that. Anyone who thinks it's simply a matter of willpower is sadly lacking in knowledge of the subject

Show me a mental health issue that leads to someone stuffing their face with doughnuts all day. When the principle is as straightforward as it is, we can discard all this nonsense about correlations. The UK does not actually have 'good deserts' like US cities in which fast food/convenience is the cheapest and easiest option: it has some of the lowest prices and broadest ranges of healthy food in every supermarket in the country.

Absolutely gone at that morbidly obese ‘35’ year old saying it could happen to anyone.

Why didn’t that BBC article some of the other 30 something in an ICU who are ‘fit and healthy’. 

Where was the interview with a lean 32 year old regular gym goer who was hooked up to the breathing apparatus?

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The term excuse can sound dismissive, but it's kind of true.

I'd agree it's more difficult for those working awkward hours or have childcare burdens etc, but it is still within people's gift to carve out a routine and diet to be healthier.

If you are a single parent with child care and have to learn to cook as let's be honest cooking healthy food is usually harder than sticking chips and chicken dippers in the over, then I think it's perfectly understandable why they don't cook more healthy food. We need to go back to basics and teach kids how to cook all the way through their education and not charge them for doing so

Edited by 101

1 minute ago, 101 said:

If you are a single parent with child care and have to learn to cook as let's be honest cooking healthy food is usually harder than sticking child and chicken dippers in the over, then I think it's perfectly understandable why they don't cook more healthy food. We need to go back to basics and teach kids how to cook all the way through their education and not charge them for doing so

I'm at pains to say I understand that it's difficult and more difficult for people in certain circumstances. But a lot (not all) of people can probably do more than they are currently.

I have family members who feed their kids nothing but chips because 'it's all they'll eat' that has nothing to do with not being able to afford healthier food and everything to do with not being arsed cooking. Living off takeaways is not cheaper than making a pasta dish or a curry or something at home.

Edit to add this an anecdotal example and they are just lazy. Not a generalisation. At least the kids aren't fat yet.

Edited by GiGi

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Depends how big the child is. 

Woops :lol:

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm at pains to say I understand that it's difficult and more difficult for people in certain circumstances. But a lot (not all) of people can probably do more than they are currently.

I agree and I'm also not sure that the pandemic will focus that many people's minds on their weight as most folk know if you're carrying a but too much weight there is a list as long as your arm of things you are more likely to get.

One thing I would like to see in the NHS overhaul is a yearly checkup of everyone's body, but I suspect it would be too resource intensive.

We aren’t even going to be allowed inside a pub to watch the fucking Euro’s are we. 

My expectations have went from initially booking London and being hopeful of getting a ticket, to now just beginning to lose all hope that I’ll be able to actually watch the game in a pub with friends. 

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

I agree and I'm also not sure that the pandemic will focus that many people's minds on their weight as most folk know if you're carrying a but too much weight there is a list as long as your arm of things you are more likely to get.

One thing I would like to see in the NHS overhaul is a yearly checkup of everyone's body, but I suspect it would be too resource intensive.

I think lots of people would be against that to be honest. They'd resist being told annually that they're overweight and need to do something about it. Plus yeah, there's no way they could put the resource into regular health checks of the population.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

We aren’t even going to be allowed inside a pub to watch the fucking Euro’s are we. 

My expectations have went from initially booking London and being hopeful of getting a ticket, to now just beginning to lose all hope that I’ll be able to actually watch the game in a pub with friends. 

They’ll have a huge challenge stopping people just having mates round to their house for the Euro’s if the pubs are shut. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I wouldn't give up hope, might not be as rammed as you imagined though.