Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Wracking my brains just now - allowing non-contact, outdoor sport for all u18s, will allow exactly what sports to go ahead? Tennis, golf, fishing, horse riding all OK as things stand. 

I'm sure there must be others, but can't think.

Athletics was the main one I could think of.

It means that football and rugby teams can at least train. Just in a non-contact way...which is better than nothing I suppose.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Susan Michie (the communist lunatic) on the radio this morning saying that the large number of variants we’ve had “have shown to be better at evading the vaccines”.

Looks like some of these people upon realising they are up against it, have resorted to just going for blatant lies.

18 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Athletics was the main one I could think of.

It means that football and rugby teams can at least train. Just in a non-contact way...which is better than nothing I suppose.

Is it? Not so sure myself.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I take my wee boy out to Saughton Park quite a lot and there have been quite a few football teams training there in the last few weeks - is that not allowed?

U12s can train in a non-contact manner. (whether they actually do it in practice is open to debate I suppose)

Edited by Steven W

15 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Sounds appalling.

It is. I gave up going to football training when they introduced the ludicrous no contact rule. Literally passing to each other with no defence to put pressure on, could take 5 mins to get the ball under control if you want. Utterly farcical and would be better off just going for a run to keep fit.

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I take my wee boy out to Saughton Park quite a lot and there have been quite a few football teams training there in the last few weeks - is that not allowed?

There were older kids/ young adults 'training' on the 7 a side pitches at Porty Power League on Saturday morning and most afternoons up at the High School as well - i'd assumed something had changed

Loads of kids go up to the 4G in Balerno and jump the fence on to the on at Firhill High as well, although it's clearly nothing like an organised club.  You get quite a few curtain twitchers up in Balerno, unfortunately.  , but I think it's good they are (for the most part) being left alone. 

Edited by super_carson

On the ‘Edinburgh football’ theme I’ve seen adult teams training in the middle of the Meadows on several occasions. A few kids clubs have taken to using the old bowling greens at Powderhall.

All of the furore about only two people being allowed to meet up, no sports training etc can be easily contradicted within a five minute walk in Edinburgh. I’ve no issue with it when it’s outdoors either, it’s just interesting to see that disconnect between political rhetoric, frenzied media reporting and actual reality.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Is it? Not so sure myself.

U12s can train in a non-contact manner. (whether they actually do it in practice is open to debate I suppose)

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

Sounds appalling.

Personally I've been going to the park a wee bit with my brother and just blasting a ball around, and it does make a big difference to my mood. If we take the social side of sport as being something that we're missing out on at the moment, then I think it will make a difference - aye. 

Me and him are/were both goalkeepers though, so we're quite used to training being mainly non-contact and quite content just firing shots at each other from the edge of the box on a muddy park pitch for an hour or so.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Study showing that two doses of the Pfizer and BioTech vaccines are highly effective (c 95%) against the Uk, South African and Brazilian strains.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102017

Excellent news. Between cutting transmission, and now working against one of these "variants of concern", things are most definitely looking up.

Supplies of the vaccine are due to increase from next week, so hopefully we can get back to vaccinating 1% or more of the population every day from then.