Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I don't think it would be unrealistic for businesses to suggest if you are that concerned about sanitising your hands regularly that you can bring your own mini bottle. Something which has been an option for years, yet I don't recall seeing anyone other than Sheldon Cooper using any.

Short term it might be good PR for businesses to act as a confidence booster, but ultimately it's a solution to a problem which really doesn't exist.

As Left Back mentioned earlier, we've survived pretty well without hand sanitiser in every single building to date. I wouldn't be surprised if hypersanitising our hands, as well as being physically bad for our skin, actually has a slight negative impact on our immune systems when used over prolonged periods, particularly in young children.

Edited by Todd_is_God

In what must come as a surprise to *checks notes* absolutely no-one, the PM has acknowledged that reopening all schools will have such an impact on infection levels that the route out of lockdown might have to be altered.

When I next go to Hampden to watch QP v Seaside I or II FC in front of 543 souls, will my now customary wee bottle of hand sanitiser in my right hip pocket survive the pat down by the aviricious Rock Steady thin yellow line?

(That I may never again go to Hampden to watch QP v Anybody is something I don't want to entertain yet.)

In that scenario, rather than giving up my slime, I'm pouring the entire bottle onto my paws. I'll have the most slippy hands that Hampden ever did see. (Other than Ray Clemence 1976.)

I don't think it would be unrealistic for businesses to suggest if you are that concerned about sanitising your hands regularly that you can bring your own mini bottle. Something which has been an option for years, yet I don't recall seeing anyone other than Sheldon Cooper using any.
Short term it might be good PR for businesses to act as a confidence booster, but ultimately it's a solution to a problem which really doesn't exist.
As Left Back mentioned earlier, we've survived pretty well without hand sanitiser in every single building to date. I wouldn't be surprised if hypersanitising our hands, as well as being physically bad for our skin, actually has a slight negative impact on our immune systems when used over prolonged periods, particularly in young children.
Soap and water is actually more effective - the only reason for using a hand sanitiser is when soap and water are not readily available.

19 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
43 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Soap and water is actually more effective - the only reason for using a hand sanitiser is when soap and water are not readily available.

So, basically most lower league grounds...

It isn’t just lower league grounds.

45 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

When I next go to Hampden to watch QP v Seaside I or II FC in front of 543 souls, will my now customary wee bottle of hand sanitiser in my right hip pocket survive the pat down by the aviricious Rock Steady thin yellow line?

(That I may never again go to Hampden to watch QP v Anybody is something I don't want to entertain yet.)

In that scenario, rather than giving up my slime, I'm pouring the entire bottle onto my paws. I'll have the most slippy hands that Hampden ever did see. (Other than Ray Clemence 1976.)

I quite like the idea of smuggling vodka into Hampden for a QP v Ed City game claiming it's alcoholic hand santiser. 

"HAW YE, OOT! AH SAW YE DRINKING THAT SANITISER"

"PISS AFF. I WAS SANITISING MA TONGUE"

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I wouldn't be surprised if hypersanitising our hands, as well as being physically bad for our skin, actually has a slight negative impact on our immune systems when used over prolonged periods, particularly in young children.

I think back to Michael Jackson having his kids' toys replaced and having the rooms sanitised every single day, and they seemed to be the most consistently ill kids on the planet at the time.  Think they looked like s**t to the point he* banned them from looking in mirrors.

*'Man in the Mirror' guy

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It will be quite a laugh actually if normality is back and there are no outright restrictions, but without any laws remaining in place there's still governmental advice that just to be safe you should sanitise as often as possible and there's no harm wearing a mask, with a not insignificant number of people choosing to do these things. How will stewards handle finding a bottle of sanitiser which could apparently be used as a projectile in the course of an over-zealous patdown? Will the police accept a face covering stopping them getting a look at someone's face to decide if they don't like it or not, depriving them of the opportunity to aggressively single them out to tell them to sit down later to relieve their boredom?

This new normal which is definitely going to happen is full of possibilities for hilarity.

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

In what must come as a surprise to *checks notes* absolutely no-one, the PM has acknowledged that reopening all schools will have such an impact on infection levels that the route out of lockdown might have to be altered.

Doing millions of tests every week on school kids with no symptoms will raise infection levels. 

1 in every 100 kids involved in school lateral flow testing during any week will deliver a false positive according to the Royal Statistical society. Hopefully parents are smart enough to pull their kids out of it. 

24 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Doing millions of tests every week on school kids with no symptoms will raise infection levels. 

1 in every 100 kids involved in school lateral flow testing during any week will deliver a false positive according to the Royal Statistical society. Hopefully parents are smart enough to pull their kids out of it. 

Think it requires a follow up pcr before they're kept off? Hopefully it won't be recorded as a +ve till both tests return this. 

Edited by madwullie

5 hours ago, Elixir said:

The most pointless white elephants going.

A White Elephant is usully something built from scratch and left abandoned as a waste of money, I'm sure when your bopping around to Girls Aloud in the venue in 2022 you'll reject your White Elephant claim. There was an article showing how much work was carried out in the LJ as well as record breaking vaccine numbers.

The temporary hospital at the Scottish Event Campus (SEC) was built in three weeks to provide extra capacity for coronavirus patients at the height of the pandemic.

Since then it has seen over 12,000 patients for scans, outpatient appointments and postponed non-Covid planned healthcare.

The facility has also been used to train nearly 5,000 NHS staff and students in administering the coronavirus vaccine.

Edited by dirty dingus