Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Study showing that two doses of the Pfizer and BioTech vaccines are highly effective (c 95%) against the Uk, South African and Brazilian strains.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102017

Excellent news. Between cutting transmission, and now working against one of these "variants of concern", things are most definitely looking up.

Supplies of the vaccine are due to increase from next week, so hopefully we can get back to vaccinating 1% or more of the population every day from then.

Just now, s_dog said:

Excellent news. Between cutting transmission, and now working against one of these "variants of concern", things are most definitely looking up.

Supplies of the vaccine are due to increase from next week, so hopefully we can get back to vaccinating 1% or more of the population every day from then.

Yep - there's also a big push now on proactively contacting people for the vaccine, as well as allowing people aged 56 and up to book their own slots.  Hopefully we'll see uptake trend upwards.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Study showing that two doses of the Pfizer and BioTech vaccines are highly effective (c 95%) against the Uk, South African and Brazilian strains.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102017

Devi and the gang will be on the verge of tears, as the vaccines continue their fine work in huckling them out of the public limelight and flushing their heads down the lavvy. 

That's all well and good about the vaccine but have they factored in the new Govan variant following the weekend's antics?

Depending on what side of the fence you sit on, it's said to be between 1 and 55 times more deadly than the current variants. It's also resistant to the vaccines - scientists say that rather than providing immunity, the vaccines will instead guide the virus straight towards the respiratory system.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Chris Whitty predicting a ‘later surge’ late summer, autumn or winter (no mention of spring 2022).

They were saying yesterday how the reopening of schools was most likely going to lead to a huge surge in the infection rate and probable changes to the route out of lockdown.

Cue BJ (or some lackey) standing at a podium in May telling folk that the 21st June plan was out the window but it was worth it to get some normality for the kiddies.

That's all well and good about the vaccine but have they factored in the new Govan variant following the weekend's antics?

Depending on what side of the fence you sit on, it's said to be between 1 and 55 times more deadly than the current variants. It's also resistant to the vaccines - scientists say that rather than providing immunity, the vaccines will instead guide the virus straight towards the respiratory system.
I believe it is also highly resistant to soap.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

They were saying yesterday how the reopening of schools was most likely going to lead to a huge surge in the infection rate and probable changes to the route out of lockdown.

Cue BJ (or some lackey) standing at a podium in May telling folk that the 21st June plan was out the window but it was worth it to get some normality for the kiddies.

Tbf he says he doesnt anticipate a change to the speed of the end of restrictions, as the 5 week window is needed. So not exactly saying it will slow down, just that it wont go any faster. Tbh i can live with the 21st of june as the end to everything if it happens. 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tbf he says he doesnt anticipate a change to the speed of the end of restrictions, as the 5 week window is needed. So not exactly saying it will slow down, just that it wont go any faster. Tbh i can live with the 21st of june as the end to everything if it happens. 

A surge in infections among the young and still to be vaccinated as restrictions are eased is not really a bad thing.

Hospitalisations from them will be minimal, and it'll be a great demonstration of the level of risk that Covid will be carrying come the end of the vaccination roll out.

Jumping back in here having not trawled through the last few weeks of this thread, but has anyone who has had the virus on here also had a vaccination?
If so, how did it go?
I received my first dose last Monday (the AZ one) and had a hellish reaction to it.

I may have imagined reading this, and of course I'm the furthest from an expert on the matter (or on here) as you'l probably find, but did I read that the virus has or produces a protein that the vaccines target?  And the protein is the one constant that doesn't change so of course the vaccines are going to get all the variants to fuck?

As in they target the 'epicentre' of the virus makeup, so a little variance in the virus won't matter?

I'm probably talking utter shite, and not for the first time amirite guys?

1 minute ago, Jeff Venom said:

Jumping back in here having not trawled through the last few weeks of this thread, but has anyone who has had the virus on here also had a vaccination?
If so, how did it go?
I received my first dose last Monday (the AZ one) and had a hellish reaction to it.

Not me, but my mother in law took COVID and then got her first dose of Pfizer three weeks later.

She's now had her second dose too.

Felt a wee bit sore after the first one but no side effects at all from the second.

If so, how did it go?
Anecdotally everyone I know who has had the AZ one has reported feeling shite during the first 48 hours ranging from chills, pains, nausea to absolute fatigue. This is across an age range from 29 to 86 and about 5 folk (not including those on here) .

The Pfizer one has produced a few sore arms around the injection site but nothing more and nothing longer than 24 hours. This is from an age range of 32 to 63 and only 3 folk (not including here).

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

Wracking my brains just now - allowing non-contact, outdoor sport for all u18s, will allow exactly what sports to go ahead? Tennis, golf, fishing, horse riding all OK as things stand. 

I'm sure there must be others, but can't think.

Has tennis ever not been allowed? I have courts out the back of mine and they are in constant use.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Whitty also absolutely roasting the zero covid lobby

Standard from a guy who's a physician and epidemiologist and not a dentist or whatever the fuck Sridhar is.

Just now, gav-ffc said:

Has tennis ever not been allowed? I have courts out the back of mine and they are in constant use.

In this particular lockdown tennis, golf, fishing and horse riding have been allowed AFAIK

What confuses me is, I can't see what today's looseining of restrictions (specfically u18s allowed to do non-contact outdoor sports) actually changes. Yes it'll allow non-contact football / rugby training, but as far as i know, both of these are contact sports.