Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Steven W said:

The hospital numbers more or less halved in around a fortnight. A real sharp decrease in hospital numbers for this wave.

Sturgeon and Leitch will be keeping an eye on the recent uptick in case numbers though. (the case numbers seem to have upticked a little, around the same time as the vaccine process has slowed, so there might be something in that? Vaccine numbers seemingly to go back up again from next week onwards I think, so hopefully cases numbers will reflect that)

To the surprise of absolutely no one, they have gone back up after opening schools.

Over the last 7 days, 0-14 year olds are the third highest group for new infections. So much so that 4% of all cases in that age group have occured in that time frame.

If they are going to worry about infection numbers for the levels system then schools, clearly, need to be treated the same as every other indoor space until we have vaccinated our adult population, however much this annoys parents.

Screenshot_20210311-130321_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210311-130333_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The case numbers have stayed fairly steady but the positivity rate has continued to fall so it seems that they're finding more of the cases proactively rather than waiting on people presenting.

That the remaining numbers continue to plummet is only a good thing.

You mean desperately hunting for cases to justify restrictions.

1 corinthians
3:9
For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building
6:19
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

A proper god botherer would know they don't need a building. 

For some but not all I suspect the attendance at the building is to be seen to be there.

Given that every single Christian I've ever met has a) cared more about appearing to be a Christian rather than act like a Christian, and b) cherry-picked which bits of the bible they want to adhere to (and ignoring all the inconvenient bits they don't like), it's of absolutely no surprise whatsoever that these folk are caring more about attending a building rather than showing faith to their God.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

To the surprise of absolutely no one, they have gone back up after opening schools.

Over the last 7 days, 0-14 year olds are the third highest group for new infections. 

You're right - its not a surprise. And it won't be a surprise either when the same thing happens, probably on a grander scale,  in a couple of months when the economy begins to open up. 

Which then takes us back to the question of whether cases actually matter? NS / JL have both been very clear that it does (although I - and I know you - would dispute that), so it can only lead to one of two things - A) A big shift in strategy from NS / JL (which I woudn't rule out - NS frequently mentioning the economy in FMQs today I note) or B) back to restrictions again.

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

For some but not all I suspect the attendance at the building is to be seen to be there.

Matthew 6:5

And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets

If you look there are plenty of things to be concerned about still. The rates of infection in Czech Republic, concerns over numbers in Germany, worries re critical care capacity in Paris. That said vaccination continues to look like the absolute game changer and in the U.K. we are seeing substantial and sustained benefits of that. I understand the caution of those in power but for every note of positivity there seems to be a tidal wave of angst. A bit of reasoned positivity would help a whole lot of people now.

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Isn't in exactly a year ago that the WHO declared this a pandemic?

It is indeed. 

Also a year since Liverpool played Atletico Madrid with a few thousand away fans travelling from one of Europe's epicentres.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

It is indeed. 

Also a year since Liverpool played Atletico Madrid with a few thousand away fans travelling from one of Europe's epicentres.

Incredibly a week later we had 250,000 folk heading to a gambling festival.

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Over the last 7 days, 0-14 year olds are the third highest group for new infections. So much so that 4% of all cases in that age group have occured in that time frame.

If they are going to worry about infection numbers for the levels system then schools, clearly, need to be treated the same as every other indoor space until we have vaccinated our adult population, however much this annoys parents.

4% of the total in a week when it's only a very limited numbers that are back really jumps out. Especially when schools were open for such a considerable period for autumn to Xmas. 

Does this add credence to fact that virus more transferable than before? Or have kids given up with social distancing etc? 

For me, the whole purpose of the restrictions for the past year has been to reduce hospitalisations and deaths. This is what we were told (Protect the NHS etc). Now that these are declining I do sense a shift of emphasis to positive tests (I refuse to call them "cases"). But surely if vaccines and other treatments cut down hospitalisations and deaths, then infection rates don't matter as much. If this virus infects loads of people and makes them feel a bit off for a few days - so what?

We're not there yet - we need more vaccines rolled out. But they are clearly having an effect. 

Lockdown restrictions are a very blunt tool that causes its own untold damage. As a parent I see it in my kids. As a uni lecturer I see it in the overwhelming majority of students. Lockdown is really hurting, and we should ease the restrictions as soon as we can. Again, that's not yet (our deaths and hospitalisations are still at October levels, and they need to be at July levels).

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

4% of the total in a week when it's only a very limited numbers that are back really jumps out. Especially when schools were open for such a considerable period for autumn to Xmas. 

Does this add credence to fact that virus more transferable than before? Or have kids given up with social distancing etc? 

Can only speak for my kid's class at his school, but they seem to be being pretty strict. Bubbles in class, only really playing with a small group, divided into groups in the playground, and any time I've been up picking him up at 3, the teacher and assistants have all been masked. 

Doesn't really matter how careful they are I suppose, firing 20 kids together in a room is going to increase transmission no matter what

10 minutes ago, PWL said:

I think all of those cases will be incredibly mild if there are symptoms at all, but it puts the myth that schools are 'safe' to bed.

If kids can transmit the virus, then they will spread it among classmates, who will take it home to their parents, who will take it to work etc.

Young people being infected is not (and never has been) a problem, but until we get through the entire JCVI 1-9 list, then squashing them into classrooms has the potential to cause issues in those groups further down the line.

I'll be furious if we have to put up with this shit even longer just because we wanted to give parents a wee break a couple of months earlier.

Edited by Todd_is_God

16 hours ago, Elixir said:

Great news if you live elsewhere in the UK. Doesn't seem like it will change anything north of the border in terms of civil liberties, however.

When was that tweet as the dates don't add up at all.

As its March now they would have us doing all those 30-39 and 18-29 in the same month.

Is it not more likely to be over 50's mid April then go one month on from then for each group.