Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The next couple of weeks are critical. Case numbers are going back up. If in a couple of weeks ICU and hospitalisations are still dropping, then its clear the vaccine is having the effect we all hope and expect and it really is cigars time.

I would also expect NS’s suggested acceleration of opening up at that point too

Yeah for all the gnashing this week about reliance on case rates to judge levels, the hopefully broken link between cases and deaths needs to be proven in practice before governments just throw caution to the wind. That is precisely what England are doing right now too, but without really saying so in as many words, otherwise they’d be opening up far more rapidly with frankly astonishingly good case rates right now.

All being well the hospital numbers keep coming down, or at worst show a small handful of oldies and the unvaccinated continuing to show up, before we can accept that once everyone has some protection we’ll be fine. Even the hints from the more negative advisers like Bauld and Sridhar suggest they’re already seeing evidence of this.

49 minutes ago, Binos said:

General commentary on this thread is

Bauld bad

Srivdar bad

Leitch bad

Van tam good

Whitty good

Scottish cringe in full effect

What the f**k are you talking about?

Yeah for all the gnashing this week about reliance on case rates to judge levels, the hopefully broken link between cases and deaths needs to be proven in practice before governments just throw caution to the wind. That is precisely what England are doing right now too, but without really saying so in as many words, otherwise they’d be opening up far more rapidly with frankly astonishingly good case rates right now.

All being well the hospital numbers keep coming down, or at worst show a small handful of oldies and the unvaccinated continuing to show up, before we can accept that once everyone has some protection we’ll be fine. Even the hints from the more negative advisers like Bauld and Sridhar suggest they’re already seeing evidence of this.

It seems a terrible thing to say, but we probably need an increase in case numbers to prove the point.

I wouldn’t wish illness on anyone of course.

It seems a terrible thing to say, but we probably need an increase in case numbers to prove the point.

I get what you mean and, if we could guarantee everyone got the same mild dose I did at worst, it would be desirable. I'm very aware of how lucky I was, though, and until the vaccine gets all the way into the population, I wouldn't want to risk anyone dying or suffering life altering effects.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

You’re right, and this will happen naturally as restrictions ease. The schools going back is undoubtedly doing this already as we’ve seen cases go up since they’ve partially went back. 

6 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I’ve been saying this for weeks - stop obsessing about case numbers!

Until the SG do the same, then no.

Right now, even though they shouldn't be, they are the most relevant.

Pretending they don't matter when they are the primary metric for the levels system that is days away from being revealed (and which JL has already mentioned that we will need a "reverse gear" if cases increase) is burying your head in the sand type stuff.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I’ve been saying this for weeks - stop obsessing about case numbers!

Correct it doesn't matter if ten thousand people have it, its all about hospital numbers and deaths.  The vaccine is reducing these and that's what it does, it massively reduces the risk of becoming seriously ill.

We need to make people understand that pronto, politicos, journos, public.

Edited by Tynierose

The driving cause of Scotland's case numbers plateauing - if not rising overall - is the growing number of cases in the 0-14 age range. Which is certainly strange given that 'parents chatting at the school gate' was speculated as being the real infection risk around schools.