Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Take a wild guess about who will be absolutely beeling at this development. heh.png&key=a6e087fdded082e88106651c0a0a810f02257eeeaf9bf0ddd89dbe80c980cd6c
Could probably take South Africa off it too, tbf, given how much case numbers there have utterly collapsed despite the mewling over their IMMUNITY EVADING variant, which the vaccines and human immune system clearly still pish all over. quitegood.png&key=a4def532281abf4cc6819ff01c29d4b502bf26ccbd2c1c63d2b1dd95b7717d45
That makes a mockery of the reason given for them being added in the first place (their intrinsic links with Brazil) given the situation in Brazil is worse than ever.

The whole policy of a "naughty / red list" being updated on a weekly basis is a recipe for disaster. That has to be scrapped before anyone can have any real confidence when booking holidays. That's simply a repeat of last summer.

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've got Wroclaw booked for June but can't say I'm overly hopeful at the moment.

I was so looking forward to my steak and wine feast in Whiskey in a Jar as well !!!

My partner is hoping to get home to see her family towards the end of June as well. Hopefully it happens, but if not then I think July, and certainly August and September will be goers. I'm also hoping to go to Wrocław for a couple of days.

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

The restrictions look a little bit stronger than here just now, especially on face coverings 

https://www.gov.pl/web/coronavirus/temporary-limitations

It was the same before last summer, tbf, then they relaxed things. The time I spent in Poland last August/September is the most normal life has felt since February 2020. It was strange seeing places like Kraków so much quieter than usual, though.

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

My partner is hoping to get home to see her family towards the end of June as well. Hopefully it happens, but if not then I think July, and certainly August and September will be goers. I'm also hoping to go to Wrocław for a couple of days.

It was the same before last summer, tbf, then they relaxed things. The time I spent in Poland last August/September is the most normal life has felt since February 2020. It was strange seeing places like Kraków so much quieter than usual, though.

Yeah, one of my pals was over in Gdansk / Sopot for 2 weeks in September (girlfriend  from there) and he said the same, everyone was pretty laid back and behaving normally with no sense of panic or impending doom in the air !!

37 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've got Wroclaw booked for June but can't say I'm overly hopeful at the moment.

I was so looking forward to my steak and wine feast in Whiskey in a Jar as well !!!

Tremendous pub! We stayed literally upstairs from it when we went.

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Or maybe he has no personality to project

Or maybe he realises its not about personality, hes not a talk show host.

58 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He probably doesnt see his role as one that requires any injection of his personality. Absolutely correct IMO, and something Leitch and Devi could/should have learned earlier

Absolutely spot on, he does what he needs to do, messages clear and concise and not seemingly hogging the limelight. 
The idea that its some kind of ‘scottish cringe’ to think Whitty is better is bollocks and something that’s in keeping with the ‘if you dont agree with us we’ll demonise you’ way that is emerging online with the ‘if you dont vote snp youre a tory’ school of thought which suggests to me that they know theyre wrong and are trying to desperately deflect. 

Good to see Michael Rosen is still going. I mind him going in near the start of the pandemic, turns out he was in intensive care for nearly two months.

Laughed at this excerpt from his new book of poetry: 

"Rehab

They’ve been worried
about my low blood pressure
but they’ve brought me the Daily Mail
so it’ll be fine in just a moment."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/13/michael-rosen-this-book-is-about-what-it-feels-like-to-nearly-die

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/13/i-am-not-who-i-was-michael-rosen-on-surviving-covid-extract

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I think the baseline capacity is 173 for ICU, that was pre-pandemic.  Surge capacity was 585.

So we are well below 10% of "surge capacity", we have given first doses to the most vulnerable groups, and we are still looking at another 6+ weeks until we can go for a haircut or a coffee?

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

So we are well below 10% of "surge capacity", we have given first doses to the most vulnerable groups, and we are still looking at another 6+ weeks until we can go for a haircut or a coffee?

I completely agree with the principle, but I’ve no idea what the current total number of patients in ICU are when including non-Covid.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

But by booking with TUI you often pay well over the odds as against booking direct. The downside which obviously will worry people just now is that if you book a package then they will look after everything if something goes wrong. We did our best for our customers when the French government shut the slopes a year ago tomorrow but while we got them to the airport but they were reliant on the airlines putting on extra flights. Thus for families I get them taking the easy option.

I have put this on the holiday topic, at our hotel we automatically set the prices for for all outside partners 15% higher, the French in particular know this and always book direct.

I’ve book Greece with Tui next year. Why, cause I’m a single parent travelling with three kids on my own. I want get on a plane, on a bus, dropped off and then in reverse on way home!

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I completely agree with the principle, but I’ve no idea what the current total number of patients in ICU are when including non-Covid.

That's a fair point. I'd wager it's not a few hundred though.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

That's a fair point. I'd wager it's not a few hundred though.

I’m sure it will be minimal as well, and shouldn’t stop us accelerating easing restrictions, but it’s something a lot of people forget about when looking purely at the ICU Covid numbers.

The next couple of weeks are critical. Case numbers are going back up. If in a couple of weeks ICU and hospitalisations are still dropping, then its clear the vaccine is having the effect we all hope and expect and it really is cigars time.

I would also expect NS’s suggested acceleration of opening up at that point too

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

Praising one English guy means you think you're inferior as Scots to Englishmen in general?

General commentary on this thread is

Bauld bad

Srivdar bad

Leitch bad

Van tam good

Whitty good

Scottish cringe in full effect

6 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

The next couple of weeks are critical. Case numbers are going back up. If in a couple of weeks ICU and hospitalisations are still dropping, then its clear the vaccine is having the effect we all hope and expect and it really is cigars time.

I would also expect NS’s suggested acceleration of opening up at that point too

Yes, recently we had cases - hospital - deaths numbers as they were at end of September, mid October, and end of October respectively, I think Jason Leitch mentioned this at a briefing. Now we'll soon see if the cases going up detaches itself from the other two as they continue to go downwards.