Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I see Leitch was on Off the Ball again today, saying the local travel restrictions will likely be in place until the end of April. By the end of the month we might have almost nobody in ICU and barely anybody in hospital, but still be unable to travel a few miles to the beach for another month :lol:

Edited by Honest_Man#1

The driving cause of Scotland's case numbers plateauing - if not rising overall - is the growing number of cases in the 0-14 age range. Which is certainly strange given that 'parents chatting at the school gate' was speculated as being the real infection risk around schools. 
Or maybe, just maybe, an increase in testing of that demographic.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

UK 7 day average 59/100k.  Scotland 7 day average 72/100k

WTF are we doing? Fiction Factories?

Are England testing school pupils before they go in? If not that is the answer.

If they are feck knows.

9 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
38 minutes ago, virginton said:
The driving cause of Scotland's case numbers plateauing - if not rising overall - is the growing number of cases in the 0-14 age range. Which is certainly strange given that 'parents chatting at the school gate' was speculated as being the real infection risk around schools. 

Or maybe, just maybe, an increase in testing of that demographic.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Are England testing school pupils before they go in? If not that is the answer.

If they are feck knows.

You two are a government's dream 

33 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

2 or 3 times in NS’s briefings, it’s been made clear that it isn’t the only (or main) measure being looked at.

NS has fronted a briefing maybe once in the last two weeks.

Are you talking pish?

13 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I see Leitch was on Off the Ball again today, saying the local travel restrictions will likely be in place until the end of April. By the end of the month we might have almost nobody in ICU and barely anybody in hospital, but still be unable to travel a few miles to the beach for another month :lol:

I'm guessing he doesn't even know what the current travel restrictions are in that case. There's not a chance that I'll be unable to travel the 10 miles to visit my parents at the end of April. 

Either that, or it'll be the same as the pre-Christmas restrictions which everyone ignored.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Happy for him to prove me wrong, but yes I think he is. The most recent NS briefing I saw was still talking about cases as a primary metric.

The briefing on Friday, a journalist challenged them on whether they should be using cases as a metric. Leitch quite clearly stated it's a key thing they are still looking at, albeit not the only metric and it'll be a bit of time before they change that.

Just now, Wee Bully said:

Nope. Are you?

Given NS has fronted at most 2 briefings since revealing the roadmap 3 weeks ago (you know, the one with cases as the primary metric), I would politely suggest that you are, in fact, talking pish when you say she has said so "2 or 3 times" and using this to show that the mood music is changing.

3 minutes ago, David W said:

The briefing on Friday, a journalist challenged them on whether they should be using cases as a metric. Leitch quite clearly stated it's a key thing they are still looking at, albeit not the only metric and it'll be a bit of time before they change that.

Yeah Wee Bully is talking nonsense.

6 minutes ago, David W said:

I'm guessing he doesn't even know what the current travel restrictions are in that case. There's not a chance that I'll be unable to travel the 10 miles to visit my parents at the end of April. 

Either that, or it'll be the same as the pre-Christmas restrictions which everyone ignored.

I thought current travel restrictions are to stay within local LA the same as it has been since before Christmas (only exception being Christmas Day)?

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah Wee Bully is talking nonsense.

I thought current travel restrictions are to stay within local LA the same as it has been since before Christmas (only exception being Christmas Day)?

Yeah, fair enough, I am losing the plot a bit as pre-Christmas plenty of places were open so the guidance was more ridiculous (e.g. I couldn't go to a shopping centre despite there being two within fifteen minutes of my house. Or that I had to drive 15 minutes to McDonald's rather than less than five to my nearest), rather than the guidance being different.

That being said they definitely changed it. At one point it said you could travel 5 miles over a boundary for exercise. It's now only 5 miles if there's nowhere safe to exercise closer.

31 minutes ago, David W said:

Yeah, fair enough, I am losing the plot a bit as pre-Christmas plenty of places were open so the guidance was more ridiculous (e.g. I couldn't go to a shopping centre despite there being two within fifteen minutes of my house. Or that I had to drive 15 minutes to McDonald's rather than less than five to my nearest), rather than the guidance being different.

That being said they definitely changed it. At one point it said you could travel 5 miles over a boundary for exercise. It's now only 5 miles if there's nowhere safe to exercise closer.

Either way, it’s utterly ludicrous to suggest it’ll be another month and a half until we can leave our LA. Absolutely disgraceful if that comes to pass.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Fucking hell.

Meanwhile, the same sanctimonious, Owen Jones loser types are now realising the danger of fetishising giving away our liberties in the name of 'public health':

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

If we have a situation where hospitalisations are low and deaths are low then they will be absolutely castigated for it and rightly so.

Incredibly inflexible and a preposterous approach if that's the  case.

The problem is that they won't though. Opinion polls pretty much back us being welded to our couches for the rest of time.