Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

What do you disagree with?

Curfew is too strong a word as of course the police advise people of the same gender of those killed to stay at home, so if that's their policy would it not make more sense for gender of the offender to be asked to stay at home.

All of it.

Why should I have to stay home after 6pm if some arsehole murders a woman within a certain distance from my house? I've done nothing wrong.

It's a preposterous idea.

There is a huge difference between advising women not to go out alone after dark because there is a serial attacker actively on the loose in the area, and simply banning men going out because there has been a murder.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Curfew is too strong a word as of course the police advise people of the same gender of those killed to stay at home, so if that's their policy would it not make more sense for gender of the offender to be asked to stay at home.

If I'm honest it's a terrible policy and police patrols in the vicinity of these crimes should be at least 3 or 4 times higher rather than ask people to stay at home.

Not sure i'm following this. When does this happen? Are you meaning if they believe someone is specifically targeting females, they might advise females to take extra care?? 

After the shitshow caused by the inital mention of curfew, its really not helping anyone to be doubling down on that chat tbh. Its basically ensuring further polarisation, encouraging idiots to steam in and basically shredding any chance at a positive change being made as a result of a horrible crime. Maybe its covid that has people comfortable with throwing laws around keeping people in their homes but literally all of that chat can get squarely to f**k. Headline seeking nonsense.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Funny how all the articles talk about the AstraZenica vaccine and don't mention Oxford in the name... I thought it was only nasty Nationalists who did that?

The naming of that jag is like Andy Murray at Wimbledon 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not sure i'm following this. When does this happen? Are you meaning if they believe someone is specifically targeting females, they might advise females to take extra care?? 

After the shitshow caused by the inital mention of curfew, its really not helping anyone to be doubling down on that chat tbh. Its basically ensuring further polarisation, encouraging idiots to steam in and basically shredding any chance at a positive change being made as a result of a horrible crime. Maybe its covid that has people comfortable with throwing laws around keeping people in their homes but literally all of that chat can get squarely to f**k. Headline seeking nonsense.

It does seem like the SNP have taken a tongue in cheek suggestion and put it out there as serious policy. It doesn't do anyone any favours to take it seriously.

There's little point in getting wound up by things like this.
If prevelance in Europe come summer is in the gutter, forcing people from a highly vaccinated population to quarantine on return from somewhere with very low prevelance would be ludicrous and simply won't happen.
Much more likely there will be exceptions if certain countries go in the wrong way, but for people to book with any confidence then quarantine requirements should not apply if they change after you have left from the UK.

Personally I don’t want to see us again going down the ‘good/bad’ list for travel again. All it does is encourage countries to suppress testing, or just outright lie. Turkey and the UAE to name just two did that to great effect last year and admitted they were riddled as soon as major holiday seasons were over.

If we’re accepting cases here provided everyone is vaccinated - which we are, as stated by the UK CMO - it makes little sense to not allow travel for vaccinated people to areas which also have a number of active cases. Going to areas with 50 cases per 100k more or less than the UK makes zero difference to the vaccinated.

We either travel or we don’t, and it seems that battle is going on in Westminster right now or we wouldn’t have ministers anonymously briefing things to the media. Well away from the foregone conclusion it was portrayed as, clearly.

So a vigil where women are congregating to remember a woman who has (it seems) been brutally murdered by a police officer has been broken up by police manhandling women who are showing solidarity for Sarah Everard. All this on the pretext of ‘public safety.’ The nation has gone stark, raving ****ing mad. The draconian curtailment of civil liberties, the encroachment of authoritarianism and the normalisation of the police state were tolerated when the pandemic was at its height, but the apparatus of state oppression needs to to be thoroughly dismantled as the vaccination campaign scales up and hospitalisations and deaths scale down. We have clearly not been living in normal times for the last 12 months, but we should not be aspiring towards ‘greater normality’ or a ‘new normality’. The Covid 19 pandemic has clearly been utterly disastrous in many ways, both directly as a public health crisis and for its consequences on mental health, the economy etc. but the normalisation of authoritarianism is not the least of the collateral damage. The legacy of Covid cannot be a nation where unacceptable restrictions on civil liberties become the norm.

Edited by Frankie S

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It does seem like the SNP have taken a tongue in cheek suggestion and put it out there as serious policy. It doesn't do anyone any favours to take it seriously.

Precisely. If it was initally put out there by the lady from the Greens whose name I forget as a thought provoking debate starter, the nature of debate in this country especially online was always doomed to failure. To have nothing better to add yourself, and just steam in at the back with the same sentiment with none of the nuance, basically an  "AYE BUT, SERIOUSLY THOUGH...." parrotting makes you look stupid and small time, essentially detracting from the issue and pushing sensible discourse further under the water

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/anger-after-police-tell-women-20047944

Most recent example, going door to door telling women not to go out at night/ in the dark. Mental behaviour, help them feel safe that's the police's job.

I agree the term curfew isn't helpful but I think headlines are important for drilling into the detail of why things happen and exposing it beyond just a female safety issue. If someone goes missing why do you then tell 50% of the population to excersize extra care? It was too soon to identify cause of her disappearance so surely you step up patrols around London to make people feel safe rather than encourage people to stay at home, obviously just now most people will be at home but it seems fairly standard practice in normal times.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

According to government figures that's 3.8 million. What is the population of Scotland?

I refuse to believe that about 1 in 2 people is classed as either elderly or vulnerable in Scotland. Yes we have a lot of oldies and yes we have a lot of obese people but should they be defined as "vulnerable"? 

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

help them feel safe that's the police's job.

The police could probably do this more successfully by not having their officers kill people, rather than banning all men from going out tbh.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

All of it.

Why should I have to stay home after 6pm if some arsehole murders a woman within a certain distance from my house? I've done nothing wrong.

It's a preposterous idea.

There is a huge difference between advising women not to go out alone after dark because there is a serial attacker actively on the loose in the area, and simply banning men going out because there has been a murder.

So you would be happy for men to be advised to stay at home following a kidnapping where a man was the presumed suspect? 

It's also not just serial killings, this was triggered by one disappearance. 

In my opinion it's the police tactics that are wrong if you have to ask people to stay at home then the police have failed in their duty.

22 minutes ago, 101 said:

If I'm honest it's a terrible policy and police patrols in the vicinity of these crimes should be at least 3 or 4 times higher rather than ask people to stay at home.

This last year has shown how accustomed to power the government and police have became. It's actually scary. Branding all men as potential rapists or murderers therefore wanting them to stay indoors after 6pm? That would have been laughed at as preposterous this time a year ago but the fact so many seem to want it to happen just shows how fcked up peoples mindset has became. 

On 11/03/2021 at 14:44, superbigal said:

Daily Cases Update:   Sorry been a bit busy so this is a 72 hour update.  So the Level roadmap should be in the planning for Tuesday. We all hate infection numbers but we know they will take notice.  They do not make great reading compared to the rest of the UK.  Also the Key Positivity rate is on the rise again. I wonder if there is a Rangers effect ? Certainly easy looking at Renfrewshire and others to make up whatever facts you want. The good news are that Forth Valley overall has dropped. Angus, Perth & Kinross had good few days. Whitletts in South Ayrshire (Rangers supporter club ?) now has the title of the No Go Zone.

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan,    Cases that day were 16,496 and test rate was 11.9%

Total Cases 7 days from 5th March to 11th March were 3,524 to 3,872 up 9.88%. Positivity was  3.1% but now up to 3.3%  Cases per 100k were 64.5 and now 70.9

Home Nations Daily update: England 61.0 to 59.3 down 2.79% .  Wales 43.3 to 42.8 down 1.15%  , Northern Ireland 64.7 to 67.3 up 4.17%    UK Average  60.4 to 59.2 down 1.99%

NHS Progress  Forth Valley 123.3 to 115.1 ,Greater Glasgow 87.5 to 101.7 , Lanarkshire  93.7 to 99.3 ,  North Ayrshire & Arran 65.8 to 84.2,  the rest all under Scottish average.

European (Above 2 Million Population) Shockers: Czech 761, Hungary 440, Serbia 409, Slovakia 264, Sweden 262, Poland 257, Italy 249, France 231 showing how much worse it is in Europe.  The UK only has below it Portugal (Who were top recently !!!) and Russia.   This does seem to support the patterns where new variants hit earlier than in other places.

Council progress in last 72 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

The Bad boys club Over 100 Cartel

Stirling  136.9 to 141.2  Fallin at 877,  Braehead at 806 !!!

Glasgow City 114.8 to 125.6

North Lanarkshire  112.5 to 121.0

East Renfrewshire 99.4 to 106.8 

Renfrewshire  72.0 to 106.1  Oh dear up over 50% in 4 days Rangers ?      

Falkirk  111.9 to 105.0     

Under 100 Club

West Lothian 104.3 to 99.4

South Ayrshire 47.1 to 98.6   Trebled in 4 days and  Whitletts now Scotland's most dangerous neighbourhood at 901  

Clackmannanshire 133.9 to 95.1    Turned the table down near 29%

North Ayrshire  80.9 to 93.5

South Lanarkshire   73.6 to 75.8

Under Scottish Average club 70.9

Dundee City  65.6 to 64.3

Fife   49.5 to 62.1

East Ayrshire 64.7 to 59.0

Midlothian  45.4 to 58.4  

East Lothian  50.4 to 56.0

East Dunbartonshire 36.8 to 51.5  

Hamlet & a Beer club Sub 50.0

Western Isles   67.4 to 48.7

City Of Edinburgh 40.4 to 46.3

West Dunbartonshire  30.4 to 46.1  Too many Cigars

Highlands  40.3 to 44.1 

Aberdeen City  35.9 to 42.0     

Perth & Kinross 42.8 to 36.2 Excellent drop

Aberdeenshire  27.2 to 33.7

Angus 42.2 to 31.8  Fantastic huge drop.

Havana & Malt Whisky club Sub 30.0

Moray 31.3 to 25.0  

Inverclyde  20.6 to 20.6  

Dumfries & Galloway 16.1 to 19.5

Scottish  Borders 20.8 to 17.3       

Argyll & Bute 5.8  to 9.3

Shetland Islands 4.4 to 4.4

Orkney Island  0.0 to 0.0 

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This last year has shown how accustomed to power the government and police have became. It's actually scary. Branding all men as potential rapists or murderers therefore wanting them to stay indoors after 6pm? That would have been laughed at as preposterous this time a year ago but the fact so many seem to want it to happen just shows how fcked up peoples mindset has became. 

Is it not better than sticking a target round the neck of all the opposite gender? 

Again it's a terrible policy playing on the fears of people and hopefully it will be looked at in the review that will no doubt be well on its way.

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

So you would be happy for men to be advised to stay at home following a kidnapping where a man was the presumed suspect? 

That wouldn't happen, though, despite males being much more likely to be the victim of a serious assault or murder.

The isolated incident of one woman disappearing / being murdered should not result in women being told to do anything different at all. Why increase the fear level for no reason?

Until we stop collectively viewing women as weak, fragile, delicate and always in need of protecting, then we will continue to have over reactions to things.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/anger-after-police-tell-women-20047944

Most recent example, going door to door telling women not to go out at night/ in the dark. Mental behaviour, help them feel safe that's the police's job.

I agree the term curfew isn't helpful but I think headlines are important for drilling into the detail of why things happen and exposing it beyond just a female safety issue. If someone goes missing why do you then tell 50% of the population to excersize extra care? It was too soon to identify cause of her disappearance so surely you step up patrols around London to make people feel safe rather than encourage people to stay at home, obviously just now most people will be at home but it seems fairly standard practice in normal times.

I can't really reconcile myself with this line of argument to be honest. If the police came to your door and told you there had been a number of car break ins in your area recently, take extra care, lock your door and don't leave valuables in your car you wouldn't say why don't you just lock up all the criminals?

I get that's a relatively crass parallel and you could argue that police are increasing fear and anxiety by doing this, but women aren't being locked in their homes. No one is banning them, it's just advice to take care. 

Men do need to do more to help women feel safe but taking any sort of literal arguments from this male curfew thing is silly.

We live in such a snowflake and PC society where offending people is scorned upon. Yet we seem to want to demonise men based on a few bad apples. Women can also be abusive. I speak from experience of it for 3 years. Humans can be horrible people, it doesnt just conform to a gender ie - men = bad, women = good