Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

We live in such a snowflake and PC society where offending people is scorned upon. Yet we seem to want to demonise men based on a few bad apples. Women can also be abusive. I speak from experience of it for 3 years. Humans can be horrible people, it doesnt just conform to a gender ie - men = bad, women = good 

Using the term snowflake in the context of a woman literally being kidnapped and murdered is remarkably stupid.

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/anger-after-police-tell-women-20047944

Most recent example, going door to door telling women not to go out at night/ in the dark. Mental behaviour, help them feel safe that's the police's job.

I agree the term curfew isn't helpful but I think headlines are important for drilling into the detail of why things happen and exposing it beyond just a female safety issue. If someone goes missing why do you then tell 50% of the population to excersize extra care? It was too soon to identify cause of her disappearance so surely you step up patrols around London to make people feel safe rather than encourage people to stay at home, obviously just now most people will be at home but it seems fairly standard practice in normal times.

A case of world we have =/= world we would like.

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

So you would be happy for men to be advised to stay at home following a kidnapping where a man was the presumed suspect? 

It's also not just serial killings, this was triggered by one disappearance. 

In my opinion it's the police tactics that are wrong if you have to ask people to stay at home then the police have failed in their duty.

Any advice is always discretionary. If a local killer was thought by local Police to be targeting men in their 30s out at night, id want to know. Id then make my own decision whether I went out or not., but their advice would be taken into account. The Police in this sitaution are basically saying there's potentially a killer out there and we don't have them yet. If they think the killer is targeting based on gender what else are they to do? Say nothing? Curfewing folk is a ridiculous response and no right thinking person should be advocating it

53 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Just when we thought some restrictions were going to get lifted, along comes the SNP’s finest.

35821829-664A-415B-A98B-C995BF8C9EFC.jpeg

That's what happens when authoritarian measures have been normalised. Other authoritarian measures then seem less controversial...

43 minutes ago, Paco said:

There’s been a lot said on here about the Scottish Government’s public noises on foreign travel in summer, in comparison to the UK Government. Today’s Sunday Times front page is quoting a senior minister as saying quarantine-free foreign travel by August is ‘remote’.

Nasty Europe getting the blame, naturally.
IMG_0302.jpg.4b5067f3d1339268aa42086f2184cbd5.jpg

What these weirdo 'anonymous ministers' fail to realise is that infection rates, like last summer, will plummet between June and October, in which time the EU vaccination campaign will eventually catch up.

As a side note: how long is this utterly pointless lateral flow testing busted flush going to continue to be touted as some key to unlock society? Besides the obvious contracts handed out from Government, their lack of reliability, and the inconvenience and logical problems it presents, I really hope this is just a short-term show which isn't actually going to be entertained once the whole population is vaccinated.

The initial ‘put a curfew on men’ stuff was a response to women being told not to be out late, was it not? Every time a woman is attacked, raped or murdered at night, there are always comments - from the media, on social media, from yer Da - along the lines of the woman shouldn’t have been out that late on her own.

That’s effectively placing them under curfew. Obviously not by law or anything, but the implication of saying women shouldn’t be out late is that they should be home early. Which is a curfew.

I thought this was just being flippant and turning it around. But any nuance at all will confuse the general public, aided by sections of the media who wilfully misunderstand and misrepresent, in much the same way as saying ‘black lives matter’ or ‘defund the police’ was never actually saying scrap all police forces and black people are more valuable.

15 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This last year has shown how accustomed to power the government and police have became. It's actually scary. Branding all men as potential rapists or murderers therefore wanting them to stay indoors after 6pm? That would have been laughed at as preposterous this time a year ago but the fact so many seem to want it to happen just shows how fcked up peoples mindset has became. 

When did the Government or Police say any of this?

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It does seem like the SNP have taken a tongue in cheek suggestion and put it out there as serious policy. It doesn't do anyone any favours to take it seriously.

i mean im shooting from the hip in all this but why set this from 6pm and not a - significantly - later time (unless you can justify it by being in a work uniform and you're on the nightshift/backshift or something)

I'm out with the doggo late almost every night for his last walk, a blanket ban on me being allowed to take him out past 6pm (if that's how strict some people are considering being on this; as above, I'm erring on the side of caution and treating this as a fringe idea tbh) would be i) pretty fucking inconvenient and punitive and ii) not stop me doing anything wrong for the simple reason that I'm not a deviant.

There's too many exceptions for a curfew to be remotely considered anywhere, surely?

edit: Looking further through the thread I think I get it, was suckered in a little by a clickbaity headline...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

The initial ‘put a curfew on men’ stuff was a response to women being told not to be out late, was it not? Every time a woman is attacked, raped or murdered at night, there are always comments - from the media, on social media, from yer Da - along the lines of the woman shouldn’t have been out that late on her own.

That’s effectively placing them under curfew. Obviously not by law or anything, but the implication of saying women shouldn’t be out late is that they should be home early. Which is a curfew.

I thought this was just being flippant and turning it around. But any nuance at all will confuse the general public, aided by sections of the media who wilfully misunderstand and misrepresent, in much the same way as saying ‘black lives matter’ or ‘defund the police’ was never actually saying scrap all police forces and black people are more valuable.

The suggestion of placing any one category of human being under a curfew, which is what the mp has done, is truly one the most awful and frightening suggestions seen from a politician this side of fascism

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

i mean im shooting from the hip in all this but why set this from 6pm and not a - significantly - later time (unless you can justify it by being in a work uniform and you're on the nightshift/backshift or something)

I'm out with the doggo late almost every night for his last walk, a blanket ban on me being allowed to take him out past 6pm (if that's how strict some people are considering being on this; as above, I'm erring on the side of caution and treating this as a fringe idea tbh) would be i) pretty fucking inconvenient and punitive and ii) not stop me doing anything wrong for the simple reason that I'm not a deviant.

There's too many exceptions for a curfew to be remotely considered anywhere, surely?

There's not going to be a curfew. I wouldn't spend any time worrying about the practicalities of one.

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

The suggestion of placing any one category of human being under a curfew, which is what the mp has done, is truly one the most awful and frightening suggestions seen from a politician this side of fascism

She didn't need to say it as the point had already been made in The Lords. She's making a point, not suggesting implementation of a curfew.

As has been pointed out. Maybe politicians should be more literal to avoid confusing the thick.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I refuse to believe that about 1 in 2 people is classed as either elderly or vulnerable in Scotland. Yes we have a lot of oldies and yes we have a lot of obese people but should they be defined as "vulnerable"

"vulnerable" to become very ill and thus overwhelm the health service?

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig