Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If we’re quite happy to let  England do our testing why aren’t we accepting the outcomes from Israel and the USA?

The only foreign outcomes the SG appear to accept are negative ones.

You'd need to ask them why that is.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Watching the darts there and this:

Makes some of the SG advice last autumn around the dangers of background music and TV volume in hospitality venues look even more obscene in retrospect.

Also makes Clownshoes' recent comments about needing to make car parks safe and have outdoor one way systems in September look completely daft.

It's been obvious for a while, but, given the SG have access to the same scientific advice and evidence that points to this being OK, the decision to keep much tighter restrictions in place is clearly purely political.

I just don't understand why.

Edited by Todd_is_God

it looks like England is preparing for scaling up by these small events , the way they are set up. It could end up a bit of a problem for SG if they arent doing same and Scotland ends up being behind the curve of opening up. 

Times flies as they always say and if any country isnt doing this and preparing well it most likely will cause delays that could be avoided, and be quite easy for any government to find itself on the wrong side quite quickly

it looks like England is preparing for scaling up by these small events , the way they are set up. It could end up a bit of a problem for SG if they arent doing same and Scotland ends up being behind the curve of opening up. 

Times flies as they always say and if any country isnt doing this and preparing well it most likely will cause delays that could be avoided, and be quite easy for any government to find itself on the wrong side quite quickly
Why given all measures are scheduled to be removed in just over 3 weeks ? It should be 100% capacity come 22 June.

That decision to be taken in just over 2 weeks, June 14

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why given all measures are scheduled to be removed in just over 3 weeks ? It should be 100% capacity come 22 June.

That decision to be taken in just over 2 weeks, June 14

Id be surprised if SG do that, but good if they do, is there any signs they are going to do that? Full capacity at any events?

Edited by BigDoddyKane

8 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Watching the darts there and this:

Makes some of the SG advice last autumn around the dangers of background music and TV volume in hospitality venues look even more obscene in retrospect.

Also makes Clownshoes' recent comments about needing to make car parks safe and have outdoor one way systems in September look completely daft.

It's been obvious for a while, but, given the SG have access to the same scientific advice and evidence that points to this being OK, the decision to keep much tighter restrictions in place is clearly purely political.

I just don't understand why.

“I make no apologies for wanting to keep people safe”

Id be surprised if SG do that, but good if they do, is there any signs they are going to do that? Full capacity at any events?

That wasn't what I was commenting on. You were talking about England ramping up numbers at events, I was saying they won't need to given it's due to be full capacity in 3 weeks or so.

Scotlands "roadmap" details proposed capacity but it's not scheduled for 100% anytime soon however the 21 June will be key in where we go as a lifting of all measures in England will see us following suit not long after as has been the case throughout the pandemic. Most recent example being Foreign travel where we adopted the 4 nation approach literally days after it came into being. The SG know people will not tolerate restrictions here if there are none elsewhere in the UK.

21 June is a huge date for all 4 UK nations.

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That wasn't what I was commenting on. You were talking about England ramping up numbers at events, I was saying they won't need to given it's due to be full capacity in 3 weeks or so.

Scotlands "roadmap" details proposed capacity but it's not scheduled for 100% anytime soon however the 21 June will be key in where we go as a lifting of all measures in England will see us following suit not long after as has been the case throughout the pandemic. Most recent example being Foreign travel where we adopted the 4 nation approach literally days after it came into being. The SG know people will not tolerate restrictions here if there are none elsewhere in the UK.

21 June is a huge date for all 4 UK nations.

Having to put my faith into Boris Johnson and the Tories has me feeling a little queasy, but the decisions up here have been so poor that I’ve been forced into this position. Knowing what they’re like it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if there are restrictions after June 21st, but at least with them there’s the chance they will do it, compared to up here.

And if you think the Tories are going to go ahead with all their plans on the 21st of June I have a bridge to northern Ireland to sell you.
Press leaning that way but as I said when this broke yesterday Johnson is a populist and having spent months building up this date as "freedom day" I suspect things will need to be seriously on the slippery slopes for him to roll back on that.
If that does get pushed back then unfortunately that's bad news for the whole UK. It's a tad ironic that as Sturgeon finally admits to the link between cases and hospitalizations and deaths being broken that we are getting vibes of BJ possibly veering away from that but I suspect he will push his advisors all the way on this no matter how adamant they might be that it shouldn't happen.

BBC just interviewed a publican who said his whole survival / recovery plan is built around normal trading from 21 June and he would simply not be able to trade as is beyond that date.

Having to put my faith into Boris Johnson and the Tories has me feeling a little queasy, but the decisions up here have been so poor that I’ve been forced into this position. Knowing what they’re like it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if there are restrictions after June 21st, but at least with them there’s the chance they will do it, compared to up here.
Yes not ideal but it's how everything else has panned out so all being equal it would force the SGs hand.

Right now I'd take Thatcher riding into Edinburgh on Shergar to declare this over. It really doesn't matter how it comes to an end or who brings it to an end, it simply needs to be brought to an end sometime this summer.

Why wouldn't Johnson lift restrictions on 21st? The media still seem intent on peddling the Indian variant which, shock horror, looks to be a pile of shit. I noticed the Thai variant get mentioned yesterday which will also turn out to be a pile of shit no doubt.

Unless hospital admissions and deaths go through the roof over the next 3 weeks, which there's no sign of them doing, I don't see why things won't be lifted on 21st June as planned.

The Variant previously known as "The Indian" found its way into the Stobbie, Baxter Park, Hilltoon, Law area in Dundee.  Not really a major shock as probably Dundee's most ethnically diverse areas.  Assume the public health teams will be swooping in as we speak. Interesting to see if it is contained.   I hope all those no shows for Vaccine at the Caird Hall that #Aiden was talking about have been reversed.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Why are we picking apart what England might do in 4 weeks time when the Scottish Government is miles behind them in terms of even small crowds, with zero plan or indication to introduce these?

The SG will follow UKG a week or so afterwards, the same way they have done throughout, so worthwhile looking at what they’ll do. There is no chance England remove all restrictions and the SG continue them for any longer than a week or two.

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The SG will follow UKG a week or so afterwards, the same way they have done throughout, so worthwhile looking at what they’ll do. There is no chance England remove all restrictions and the SG continue them for any longer than a week or two.

They've shown no indication of doing this with crowds at sporting events so far.

There were 21,000 at the FA Cup final. We were getting 600 at the Scottish Cup final the following week before they pat their shants and reduced that to 0. Leitch was mouthing off about needing to see plans for one way systems in car parks just to get the 600 in.

Edited by Marshmallo