Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The study was done on mice in 1923. so did involve animals.  Let's hope the rather vague inputs hold true then!

The measure for herd immunity is adjusted for the transmissibility of a virus and seems to work quite well.

Sure flu is around the 60% mark, the delta variant increased Covids benchmark to around 80% and measles is around 90%.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The study was done on mice in 1923. so did involve animals.  Let's hope the rather vague inputs hold true then!

No. The study to establish the concept of herd immunity was done on mice. 80% is not a  "magic number".  The modelling to indicate the level of vaccination to achieve herd immunity against the Delta variant of COVID-19 incorporates what we know about the transmissibility of the virus, the effectiveness of the vaccines and the impact of public health interventions. 

The UK isn't even in the top 15 countries in terms of "deaths per million" of the population.

Folk look at the headline figure and screech, then refuse to look at things relatively. The bigger countries are generally the ones with the most deaths for a reason, M8s. 

From what I can gather arent most Asian/Oceanic countries only registering deaths if Covid was the direct cause anyway, while the UK is registering any death where the patient registers positive with the virus? 

8 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

No. The study to establish the concept of herd immunity was done on mice. 80% is not a  "magic number".  The modelling to indicate the level of vaccination to achieve herd immunity against the Delta variant of COVID-19 incorporates what we know about the transmissibility of the virus, the effectiveness of the vaccines and the impact of public health interventions. 

It's the final part I'm taking issue with - "...the impact of public health interventions".

What are the specific measures/ impacts being taken into account to arrive at the 80%?

19 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

It also factors in people who have been infected but haven't been vaccinated.

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

I wouldn't object if this was presented in a rational way. As in, we project X number of cases, which we project will lead to X number of hospitalisations and X number of deaths.

Oh I'm sure they have the figures, they would as most governments all over the world would not present.

What I find strange from a few posters (main players) on this thread, is the mocking of other nations, and high fiving the Tories c***s, forgetting the absolute disaster this has been for deaths in the UK. It has highlighted for myself personally, that the UK, they really is no society, every c**t fighting amoungst themselves, cheering on a 99 yo man and clapping the NHS, really, WTF were they doing.   

Ok, I'm sure 100% it's going to get worse here, but I can't see it hitting the 100,000 odd deaths that happened, but maybe I'm getting old and caring or is it Lovejoy.

Ps went to the shop today with my mask on, "pure theatre",  Lionel Blair would have been chuffed to bits, someone took a video of me. c***s. Whipped it off when I seen them on the phone.

Edited by SlipperyP

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The UK isn't even in the top 15 countries in terms of "deaths per million" of the population.

Folk look at the headline figure and screech, then refuse to look at things relatively. The bigger countries are generally the ones with the most deaths for a reason, M8s. 

From what I can gather arent most Asian/Oceanic countries only registering deaths if Covid was the direct cause anyway, while the UK is registering any death where the patient registers positive with the virus? 

It doesn't really matter how the facts are presented, there are those who will follow the "public health first" approach and others the "economy first" approach and then most in the hybrid group (balance public health/economy) regardless.  I think the majority of the UK population are in the hybrid group.  

My girlfriends gran died last April. She was terminally ill with Cancer and had less than 6 months. Her death certificate had Cancer / Covid complications. She tested positive 3 days before and the doctors admitted the Covid just wrecked havoc on her already wrecked lungs.

So from my experience they are putting Covid down where they know it’s had a direct impact. I’d imagine if it was someone who was asymptotic but had a heart attack due to poor diet the cause of death would be heart attack, unless they had evidence to prove Covid had an impact, if that makes sense?

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Oh I'm sure they have the figures, they would as most governments all over the world would not present.

What I find strange from a few posters (main players) on this thread, is the mocking of other nations, and high fiving the Tories c***s, forgetting the absolute disaster this has been for deaths in the UK. It has highlighted for myself personally, that the UK, they really is no society, every c**t fighting amoungst themselves, cheering on a 99 yo man and clapping the NHS, really, WTF were they doing.   

Ok, I'm sure 100% it's going to get worse here, but I can't see it hitting the 100,000 odd deaths that happened, but maybe I'm getting old and caring or is it Lovejoy.

Ps went to the shop today with my mark on, "pure theatre",  Lionel Blair would have been chuffed to bits, someone took a video of me. c***s. Whipped it off when I scene them on the phone.

Greenie for the use of the Easy Lionel clip alone. An early You Tube classic. 

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think a time to remove the restrictions would be when you know what the consequence of removing them will be.

It's remarkable seeing the statements coming out of the government at the moment about how ill-prepared they are. They're really just taking a punt at this, with casual indifference to the consequences.

I wouldn't object if this was presented in a rational way. As in, we project X number of cases, which we project will lead to X number of hospitalisations and X number of deaths. Even if I disagreed, I'd accept that the government had a rationale and they'd made their case to the public.

This is just crass populism.

Using your argument, you would only put restrictions in place if you knew what the consequences would be.  As has been proven time and time again the scientific community's modeling is useless.

Were you asking for the same transparency when the government announced each restriction because I certainly didn't see it, neither you requesting it or the government providing it.

Covid deaths are not even reported correctly and every measure used in this pandemic has been intended to highten people's fears.  "With Covid" being a prime example.

I think personally that the number of people that will die from Covid going forward would be small compared to the number that will die because of Covid.  We hear of cases every single day of people not being able to get face to face with GPs, cancer treatment being delayed, diagnosis being missed etc. etc.

When the vast majority of the population have now at least some immunity to the virus then we should be trying to start addressing the damage done, not only by government but also by individuals, businesses and councils using covid as a reason for withdrawing from doing work that they couldn't be bothered doing rather than couldn't be done.

Let's get life back to normal and deal with Covid as we deal with other causes of death - proportionately. 

Guest TheJTS98
40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Firstly, the UK isn't a big country.

Indonesia has more than four times the UK's population. Fewer than half as many deaths. Thailand is bigger than the UK. Less than 3,000 deaths. Vietnam is about 1.5 x the population of the UK. 97 deaths.

Secondly, look at the countries with a worse kill per person record. Not many rich countries in there. Not many island nations either. Quite a few with populist governments, mind you... Almost like there's an effect.

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, strichener said:

Let's get life back to normal and deal with Covid as we deal with other causes of death - proportionately. 

And at the end we get to the crux of it. Casual acceptance of the preventable deaths of a not-even-estimated number of people in your country.

All that went before that is just this thread on repeat.

Edited by TheJTS98

And at the end we get to the crux of it. Casual acceptance of the preventable deaths of a not-even-estimated number of people in your country.
Death is a fact of life. Spin it how you like and get on as high a horse as you want but Covid isn't going anywhere and at some point we need to accept that people *might* die from Covid. Whether certain people like it or not, the government in the UK appear to have decided that time is now.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
7 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Death is a fact of life.

image.jpeg.7581a0613527bebabe8eda740e84b732.jpeg

So JTS was a Deepti or Devi alias all along, hopefully this current version also has a pathetic meltdown and public resignation from the forum soon.

Ideally this time it’ll last longer than a month before humiliatingly crawling back onto the forum with a new account.

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

So JTS was a Deepti or Devi alias all along, hopefully this current version also has a pathetic meltdown and public resignation from the forum soon.

Ideally this time it’ll last longer than a month before humiliatingly crawling back onto the forum with a new account.

TheTheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The biggest contributing factor which determines Covid deaths is the pre pandemic health of the population.

You can't compare Asia to the UK. 

Why not? The UK has a significantly better life expectancy than Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia.