Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

We are never going to agree here, but I find the UK briefings backed up by data and the graphs etc far clearer than the Scottish ones where the FM gives a statement that we are just to take at face value then answers inane questions in a huff for an hour. 

No, we do agree. Or at least we don't totally disagree.  I'm awaiting today's briefing with interest. 

I was simply talking about the confusion that the UK government have obviously caused since making their 'freedom day' pronouncement. I don't necessarily disagree with the gamble that they're taking, but the communication and messaging has been awful. 

Just now, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I genuinely don't understand why the SG do not present the data. NS will often reference it in relation to easing / tightening restrictions, but never gives the detail.

Because everything she says wouldn't match up with what the data says, hence no detail.

I'm not convinced that is 100% true, plus it's absolutely possible to present data in such a way that it supports whatever you want it to.

It just looks a bit amatuer to not present any.

Is it not in parliament today rather than a media briefing? I thought they'd recalled parliament for today which means we're unlikely to get much in the way of decent questions.
It's a virtual parliamentary session, I assume that means the equivalent of a zoom call. So should be questions from MSPs and not the media.

I'm not convinced that is 100% true, plus it's absolutely possible to present data in such a way that it supports whatever you want it to.
It just looks a bit amatuer to not present any.
How many times does the FM resort to "I dont have that information to hand". For someone with a poor memory she should really make use of some nice graphs and tables.

Not sure if anyone will know more detail about this but I’ve obviously got covid just now and my first dose was meant to be today so I’ve had to postpone.
My vaccine now will need to wait and I’m told I need to wait 4 weeks from a positive test for it to work properly which takes me to the 6th of August which would mean a 2nd dose on the 1st of October at the earliest.
Anyone know anything about how strictly this is followed and how closely they monitor this/how important it is? I’m due to be going to Italy on the 11th of October and I’m totally paranoid that I’ll end up missing it because I’ll need double jagged minus 3 weeks or something when the time comes. I’m not gonna come out of isolation and go straight for my jag but even moving it a week to 10 days forward would give me a bit more leeway. 

Anyone knowledgeable at all with that regard?
It's 8 weeks minimum between the 2 doses and you need to be 2nd + 14 days to be exempt from quarantine as it stands.

I know of people who were turned away from walk-in clinics when trying to get their second dose prior to 8 weeks. 
It's the same here. People were trying for the very reason LC mentioned ie to avoid travel restrictions but they were being hunted even at drop ins

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Not sure if anyone will know more detail about this but I’ve obviously got covid just now and my first dose was meant to be today so I’ve had to postpone.

My vaccine now will need to wait and I’m told I need to wait 4 weeks from a positive test for it to work properly which takes me to the 6th of August which would mean a 2nd dose on the 1st of October at the earliest.

Anyone know anything about how strictly this is followed and how closely they monitor this/how important it is? I’m due to be going to Italy on the 11th of October and I’m totally paranoid that I’ll end up missing it because I’ll need double jagged minus 3 weeks or something when the time comes. I’m not gonna come out of isolation and go straight for my jag but even moving it a week to 10 days forward would give me a bit more leeway. 

Anyone knowledgeable at all with that regard?

Don't UK residents currently have to self isolate on entry to Italy at the moment anyway regardless of vaccination status?  Of course that might change by October.

44 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'll give you mine, for what it's worth. Yesterday's statement from Johnson was the clearest one yet. Run it through the bullshít/Latin/waffle filter, and it reads:

"Right, peasants, here's how it is. This pandemic is far from over. You lot are obviously fed up with adhering to mandatory restrictions and requirements. Fair enough, I've never really bothered with them myself, and neither have most of my cronies. 

I'm reliably informed that the amount of cash funnelled directly from the taxpayer (i.e. you) to Tory Donors is getting to such a level that even the MSM are starting to sniff around, so it's probably time to stop harvesting that particular Money Tree - so here's what we're going to do: Freedom Day is going ahead! (hopefully I said that loudly enough that the plebs don't notice the Police Bill passing). However, I don't want you to think this is over. The virus is still out there - cunning, sly and undeniably foreign.

Bottom line - I've spent fifteen months playing soundbite politics with your lives, and letting bodies pile up where they fall. Common people's bodies, though, and some of them would be getting kicked out of Glorious Albion soon, anyway. I'm fucking bored with it now. We are still seeing hospitalisation and deaths are increasing again, and no cúnt appears to have tried to plan for the Winter ahead. So, bin your masks, hug your neighbours, and pack out the clubs. Just remember, when the bodies pile up, It's your fault. Nothing to do with me. Got that? Good. I'm off to check out Tinder. It's boring being married. 

Wow!  That pretty much sums it up. 

7 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

News from the Land of We don't know what we're doing, but Smile.

• Big shift on the vaccines, Sinovac is pishe (what everyone has been saying for 5 months)
  • Folk who have double dosed with Sinovac, will get a third dose (booster) of AZ
  • Folk who have 1 dose of Sinovac will get a second dose of AZ
  • We are jagging about 10,000 (second dose) per day. 4.6% of the population.  It's a sham.
  • Government are still mulling over home isolation if you are positive (everyone must go to hospital quarantine) as numbers rise. It's all about money, as hospitals receive cash for each 'patient', but don't if they stay at home.  Remember,  you don't have to have any symptoms.  You just need 'treatment', whatever the f**k that means.  Anyway, if you have to 'receive treatment' at home, you can get up to ฿1100 per day £25.  Watch the cases explode, once this is approved.  Good little money earner, they are working out.
  • Banning of 'talking' on public transport.  
  • We are officially  in lockdown. But we are not to call it lockdown, as that would mean workers could claim for their deduction on wage loss.  Anyway, it's the same as normal, just the army back out at the checkpoints, rather than the local busybody. 
  • Went very quiet on the tourist news, apart from a couple got married and 2 kids tested positive and have been separated from their parents, for at least 14 days.  What a holiday experience they must be having.

I'm old enough to remember when places like this were held up as a shining light throughout the pandemic by #ZeroCovid cultists!

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

As predicted it's time to start stigmatising people who choose not to be vaccinated.

I mean, people who can get it but choose not to are simply anti-vaxx scum cretins. It's as simple as that.

While opposition to things like domestic vaccine passes are understandable, both yourself and 'Thereisalight..' certainly seem to give off strong anti-vaxx vibes as well...

30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

No, we do agree. Or at least we don't totally disagree.  I'm awaiting today's briefing with interest. 

I was simply talking about the confusion that the UK government have obviously caused since making their 'freedom day' pronouncement. I don't necessarily disagree with the gamble that they're taking, but the communication and messaging has been awful. 

I think the UK government position is correct.

Freedom day means all legal restrictions are lifted but obviously the public need to be quite vigilant and be responsible.

Seems simple - on a crowded bus or train, wear a mask but if it’s quiet then no need.

For me, coming from a love of individual freedom and suspicion of authoritarian government, this is just great.

Just wish the SG would follow suit.

8 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I think the UK government position is correct.

Freedom day means all legal restrictions are lifted but obviously the public need to be quite vigilant and be responsible.

Seems simple - on a crowded bus or train, wear a mask but if it’s quiet then no need.

For me, coming from a love of individual freedom and suspicion of authoritarian government, this is just great.

Just wish the SG would follow suit.

I expect masks to remain mandatory beyond even 9th August. Watched a bit of Javid yesterday and every SNP question I saw was demanding mandatory masks.

I expect masks to remain mandatory beyond even 9th August. Watched a bit of Javid yesterday and every SNP question I saw was demanding mandatory masks.
Let's have mandatory random pieces of cloth with no regards to effectiveness or use.

I could see the point if there was a minimum standard of mask required and data to prove effectiveness.

Given the fact I was the only person wearing a mask in the petrol station (not robbing it) the other day and the number of people in the co-op earlier also sans mask I think this is starting to become a waste of time.

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Let's have mandatory random pieces of cloth with no regards to effectiveness or use.

I could see the point if there was a minimum standard of mask required and data to prove effectiveness.

Given the fact I was the only person wearing a mask in the petrol station (not robbing it) the other day and the number of people in the co-op earlier also sans mask I think this is starting to become a waste of time.

I have been against them being mandatory from day one but the SNP are obsessed with them.

3 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

I have been against them being mandatory from day one but the SNP are obsessed with them.

For me, it’s not even just about masks necessarily, it’s about getting people back to assessing their own risk based upon the scenario they find themselves in - which is what has happened for thousands of years and is going to happen again whether the Lovejoys like it or not.

44 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I'm old enough to remember when places like this were held up as a shining light throughout the pandemic by #ZeroCovid cultists!

It is possible to give credit to countries, especially those with land borders, as to how they managed to keep infections low in the early part of the pandemic and criticising their vaccine rollout as resulting them in effectively having to remain shut whilst other countries can perhaps open up.