Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Again. It literally says in their published statement at 18:17 this evening that they are.

“A UK Government decision to implement proposals to remove the requirement for a pre-departure test in England and to use lateral flow tests on day two have not been adopted at this stage in Scotland due to significant concerns at the impact on public health.

The testing of international travellers, both before and after travel, is an important part of our border health surveillance to minimise the risk of importing variants of concern.”

And again..

While we want to maintain a four nations approach to these matters, we need to consider urgently their implications.”

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That statement does not give any comfort.

They knew this was happening days ago yet haven't decided yet - complete nonsense.

If they can make a decision on the removal of amber lists then surely they should have decided about testing at the same time.

It smacks of tokenism - trying to be different for the sake of it.

It just makes them look stupid when they do the inevitable u-turn.

The UK government was still arguing about it today, after a cabinet reshuffle. The red list countries would be impossible for Scotland to go their own way with, and the recommendations come from something similar to the JCVI which they go by anyway. A few days for the Scottish Government to come to their own conclusions is not unreasonable.

Edited by welshbairn

What vArIaNtS oF cOnCeRn do these fucking gormless losers think are floating around Europe right now? They also know people will be travelling freely from England anyway so absolutely nothing will stop iMpOrTaTiOn - as has been the case since the start anyway.

The list of heads that need flushed down the Holyrood bogs is now several pages long at least.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have to laugh at the brass neck of this.

You then have to laugh at the utter stupidity of introducing tests which people can and absolutely will simply sidestep by flying via Manchester.

Then you realise how many jobs are being put at risk by this rank stupidity and it becomes clear it's really no laughing matter at all.

Not a brain cell amongst them.

Its that callous streak among the "lets score points off the reckless tories" set that bothers me the most tbh. Not a single f**k given about the impact of these things. And very likely, no genuine fucks given about anyone who gets ill. 

The UK government was still arguing about it today, after a cabinet reshuffle. 
The only argument has been over the day 2 PCR testing and particular countries - all the other key changes have been known for days.

If they were not ready to decide about tests then hang fire, make the decision, then announce it all at the same time.

It's fucking amateur hour to do what they have done.

Anyone booking a holiday for October will be steering well clear of a Scottish airport until this is dropped.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And again..

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fool. No decision has been made.

Erm:

10 minutes ago, Elixir said:

But it said: “A UK Government decision to implement proposals to remove the requirement for a pre-departure test in England and to use lateral flow tests on day two have not been adopted at this stage in Scotland due to significant concerns at the impact on public health.

Are you trying to suggest that everything is okay because they will eventually be forced into yet another humiliating climbdown? tim.png

The damage has already been done and there is no indication of when this will be. It's like they are deliberately doing this to 'show they care' when they know it is going to end up embarrassing them very soon. Absolutely pathetic behaviour which is verging on psychotic.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Serious question.

Is there anything SG could say or do that you wouldn’t defend or try and spin?

Well, if people claimed SG had made a decision to reverse the £20 cut in Universal Credit in Scotland, I would deny it, just as I would if someone said they had decided to stick with the current travel testing regime, which they haven't either.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Erm:

Are you trying to suggest that everything is okay because they will eventually be forced into yet another humiliating climbdown? tim.png

The damage has already been done and there is no indication of when this will be. It's like they are deliberately doing this to 'show they care' when they know it is going to end up embarrassing them very soon. Absolutely pathetic behaviour which is verging on psychotic.

God this is boring. They have said they're going to weigh up the public health needs with economic ones and come to a decision in a few days. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Well, if people claimed SG had made a decision to reverse the £20 cut in Universal Credit in Scotland, I would deny it, just as I would if someone said they had decided to stick with the current travel testing regime, which they haven't either.

It was a yes or no answer.

only politicians, c***s or people that know they can’t answer truthfully duck a yes or no answer.  Which are you?

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It was a yes or no answer.

only politicians, c***s or people that know they can’t answer truthfully duck a yes or no answer.  Which are you?

I criticised the compulsory use of a rip-off cowboy firm when they started day 2 and 8 testing, will that do? All I'm saying here is that they haven't made a decision yet on travel testing, which is just the truth, or as close to it as we can get.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Scottish Government twitter is just full of tweets criticising the decision.

Shall we take bets on when they will do a u turn on this ridiculous new policy? I’m going for 2 weeks time. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I criticised the compulsory use of a rip-off cowboy firm when they started day 2 and 8 testing, will that do? All I'm saying here is that they haven't made a decision yet on travel testing, which is just the truth, or as close to it as we can get.

Avoided that question as well.

Just now, Lyle Lanley said:

Shall we take bets on when they will do a u turn on this ridiculous new policy? I’m going for 2 weeks time. 

They haven't got a new policy ffs, they've said they'll make a decision in a few days. Have you lot gone totally bonkers?

See to be honest, I know the apologists will wait the few days till we fall in line with England then steam in here with the "see see see telt ye!!!!" Patter, but just once id really like it if political posturing took a back seat to the wellbeing of the stakeholders who are standing under the decision being made at the time.

The politicisation of this pandemic must be the most tiring, wearying aspect of it and Scotgov who started off speaki g about how it was critical that we didnt politicise it, have become the most transparent culprits of it.