Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

How are these travel tests policed, say you don't get your day 2 tests, how would they know??

You have to show you've booked one on the passenger locator form you need to fill in before flying home.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There's the exact quote which I must admit I paraphrased a bit as I'd only heard her say it on the radio once.

image.png.37fb9e161186234e6ef42081101b849f.png

I'm interested in what UK intelligence PCR tests are going to actually contribute to in future given the rest of the UK has now decided that they are not needed.

If you have a positive LFT you have to take a PCR test anyway, so they'd have plenty samples for sequencing. I don't get what she's on about.

11 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

We booked Portugal for beginning of October back in March, as far as I'm aware we haven't booked tests, I'll have to do some further investigations!!!

I'm going at the end of October and the rules keep changing for Portugal, so I wouldn't book anything yet. At the moment they're not accepting our proof of vaccine so you have to take a test before flying out there, but hopefully that will change before you go.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The UK government was still arguing about it today, after a cabinet reshuffle. The red list countries would be impossible for Scotland to go their own way with, and the recommendations come from something similar to the JCVI which they go by anyway. A few days for the Scottish Government to come to their own conclusions is not unreasonable.

You speak a lot of sense.  And by that I mean nonsense.

5 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Linda Bauld (chair of the oldest and most prestigious public health professorship in the UK): "it is too early to ditch pcr screening tests for people entering the UK and from a public health perspective poses a significant risk"

Thank goodness we've got some travel agents and an airport manager to tell her she's wrong because reasons. 

Maybe Linda could therefore tell us how we monitor and have always monitored the evolution of every pathogen - and let me tell you it has never been by extorting travellers you fucking massive bellend.

It doesn't stop 'variants' and it won't matter anyway as people travel north from Newcastle and Manchester. So, what are we doing here?

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

Maybe Bauld can explain why PCR tests are needed since just about the whole of the EU aren't bothering with them for travel. 

Is the rest of the EU reckless and ignoring health advice, or is there some particular reason that this seems to be an intolerable risk only for Britain/Scotland? 

Of course, you can bet your bottom dollar that wee Linda is as staunchly pro-EU as nearly every higher education academic. Except when it comes to actually endorsing the fundamental principle of easy free movement across the continent! Something that was advocated for years prior to the referendum, but has since been abandoned by these massive hypocrites 'because public health'!

Edited by Elixir

17 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

We booked Portugal for beginning of October back in March, as far as I'm aware we haven't booked tests, I'll have to do some further investigations!!!

17 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

We booked through a company CMT, £68 a pop, and you need to put their reference number on the Locator form you complete before leaving you holiday destination.. The tests arrived a day after arrival home and then we sent them off by prepaid Royal Mail. Results came back within a day.

41 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

In matters of public health? Not really. I'll keep "making an arse of myself" by taking my information from folk who know what their talking about and who are recognised experts in their field. Ta.

The rabbit hole dwellers on here don’t want to hear that.  They don’t want to hear anything that is at odds with their absolute certainty that they’re right and the experts are wrong.  It’s very Trumpian.

The really funny thing is that they seem to genuinely believe that they represent the views of the wider Scottish public when every indicator shows that’s not the case.  I’m surprised they’ve not yet accused Sturgeon of running a peadophile ring from the basement of a pizza restaurant.

10 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

We booked through a company CMT, £68 a pop, and you need to put their reference number on the Locator form you complete before leaving you holiday destination.. The tests arrived a day after arrival home and then we sent them off by prepaid Royal Mail. Results came back within a day.

You can get it cheaper now that we don't have to use that firm.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The rabbit hole dwellers on here don’t want to hear that.  They don’t want to hear anything that is at odds with their absolute certainty that they’re right and the experts are wrong.  It’s very Trumpian.

The really funny thing is that they seem to genuinely believe that they represent the views of the wider Scottish public when every indicator shows that’s not the case.  I’m surprised they’ve not yet accused Sturgeon of running a peadophile ring from the basement of a pizza restaurant.

MAGA hats slipping all over the place here. 

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m surprised they’ve not yet accused Sturgeon of running a peadophile ring from the basement of a pizza restaurant.

Only because that tory boy twitterer Politics for All hasn't posted it yet.

Simple facts and data to back up Scotland keeping tests when UK and the whole EU arent and how long they plan to keep it? To me seems a fair question

If thats not a fair question, then some snp supporters who think you cant question the SG need to have a word with themselves

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 minute ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Simple facts and data to back up Scotland keeping tests when UK and the whole EU arent? To me seems a fair question

If thats not a fair question, then some snp supporters who think you cant question the SG need to have a word with themselves

The U.K.  Surely you mean England.  Not Wales though.

3 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Simple facts and data to back up Scotland keeping tests when UK and the whole EU arent? To me seems a fair question

It will indeed be a fair question if that's what they decide to do, but the decision hasn't been made yet.

Edited by welshbairn

14 hours ago, Elixir said:

I think it would be best if you just take your simping elsewhere if you think 150 people over the course of a week going into hospital is something society should be concerned with.

I've never mentioned the word burden or that I'm concerned, just that 150 people aged under 30 have been admitted in the past week, so like every other Covid patient, contribute to stretching the service the NHS can provide. And the only reason I commented because you insist the under 30's are in no danger from Covid whatsoever and don't put any burden on the NHS.

But please, carry on blundering away the same old nonsense in response. I'll go back to just laughing at some of it and leaving you to it again. 👍

Edited by s_dog

The question to be answered here that folk appear to be missing isnt whether genome sequencing of the virus is useful which it clearly is, but whether or not Scotland can/should meet the full burden of it, and whether the Scottish people be they involved in the aviation indistry or just holidaymakers, should be forced to meet this burden. Especially when any secondary benefit of avoiding incoming variants is totally negated by the open border to the South. 

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

16 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

MAGA hats slipping all over the place here. 

Alanis Morissette wants her irony meter back.

Either of you fancy answering this?

59 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So is there no-one else in the UK or EU who know what they are talking about?

As evidently, their differing opinion on the benefit of keeping PCR testing as an ongoing step, outstrips that of Bauld and the SG quite overwhelmingly.

As was pointed out, returning a positive LFT test leads to a PCR that will go through sequencing and pick up these variants of concern anyway. 

So with that in mind, please tell me what the actual benefits of this are other than financial gain?

Other than financial gain, there is literally no need whatsoever at this point to be extorting people en-masse for expensive PCR tests upon return to the country when the rest of Europe aren't doing so.