Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, virginton said:

It's not independent academic expertise though, because almost all academics are in fact experts only in a very narrowly defined field. Jason Leitch is no more qualified to talk about the spread of an airborne virus as an expert than Sir Tom Devine (second best academic of modern Scottish history) is to talk about the events of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. A fact that Leitch's roll call of spectacularly wrong calls in the spring of 2020 demonstrated. 

The best that you can realistically expect is that academics will be capable of effectively processing evidence and best practice from other fields, but not all of them are actually capable of doing so.

And they are not uniquely qualified to do that job. The onus is on them to set out the case with evidence in the public domain; not least when their policy massively diverges from the EU with a much larger cohort of galaxy-brained public health academics. 

They’re more qualified than you.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

They’re a means to an end for me.  Once Scotland has gained its Independence then we will have the opportunity to vote for whatever ‘flavour’ of government we want.

I think a post-Independence SG will be left of centre and inclusive.

It will be some of the time, that's for sure. But there will be centre right government's too, especially when parties have to justify tax rises to the electorate. Devolution is the only way to ensure perpetual left wing governance in Scotland. 

3 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

There's no chance that post independence Mhairi Black and John Mason would be in the same party. It will disintegrate.

It's very difficult to get your head round but the SNP will split up soon after a yes vote. Parts of it will even form the basis of a centre right party too. 

Yip, this is what will happen, but there’s a few folk who seem to be looking for excuses to support the status quo (no not the band).

Fortunately they are not representative of the wider Scottish public.

Good questioning gets good answers, not questioning can lead to some basic errors

there no disrespect in questioning something announced by any political party let alone a government if the facts and data either are missing or seem flawed

then its up to them to provide the answers 

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

It will be some of the time, that's for sure. But there will be centre right government's too, especially when parties have to justify tax rises to the electorate. Devolution is the only way to ensure perpetual left wing governance in Scotland. 

I want the people of Scotland to have the right to choose.  I do not think there be a centre right SG, but if there is it will be because that’s what folk voted for.

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Probably.  Doesn’t detract from my point.

What I was getting at is that they would likely attempt to carry on after Indy as that type of party, albeit minus a good few MSPs who move on having achieved their goal.

I don’t think they will be going anywhere fast in an independent Scotland.

Yet again the number of tests (over 73k, the highest ever) makes the headline case numbers look very bad (6,116) but the positive  percentage is falling (9% compared to 9.9% in yesterday's dodgy figures)

What gets reported and will be uppermost  in people's thoughts and fears will be the rising case numbers. Fucking annoying.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Yet again the number of tests (over 73k, the highest ever) makes the headline case numbers look very bad (6,116) but the positive  percentage is falling (9% compared to 9.9% in yesterday's dodgy figures)

What gets reported and will be uppermost  in people's thoughts and fears will be the rising case numbers. Fucking annoying.

Purely anecdotal but people I speak to are mainly looking at deaths and hospitalisation as the key indicators.

49 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Good point. Its up to the SG to present the facts in a way that the media report it so to explain the whats, whys, ifs etc

its been said this SG only cares about seeming to care more than westminister but with the figures we have seen in Scotland since covid started Do they really care or is it just all about england and looking better? Whats Scotlands covid figures compare to other european countries of size are we any better?

Edited by BigDoddyKane

5 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Good point. Its up to the SG to present the facts in a way that the media report it so to explain the whats, whys, ifs etc

its been said this SG only cares about seeming to care more than westminister but with the figures we have seen in Scotland since covid started Do they really care or is it just all about england and looking better? Whats Scotlands covid figures compare to other european countries of size ate we any better?

Travellingtabby has good comparison. Click on the UK site then scroll down.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

Edited by Suspect Device

I've really enjoyed the last 2 days at Ayr Races despite not being a fan of racing at all (free tickets). Anyway it felt like pre covid times, no masks at all, stewards not enforcing it or even wearing one themselves, dance floor mobbed, queues a mile long for booze, the usual arses smoking next to you and fag reek getting in your face, skanky fckers going to the toilet and not washing their hands or folk not santaising them at every door they pass. People have a good time was so nice to see. Good luck trying to enforce vaccine passports at these kind of events, folk have had the taste for them again and have binned stupid restrictions in favour of having a great day out. The simps would be having kittens at the sights today 😂

12 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Went to Ayr races yesterday and that's the strictest enforcement of rules I've seen at ANY venue never mind sport. Zones round every indoor bar, no mask no service each zone being stringently policed by two stewards then Ayr station no mask no train with about a dozen Police with dogs patrolling and BTP on the actual train enforcing mask and drink rules. Very surprised given how much more relaxed things have been elsewhere recently.

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I've really enjoyed the last 2 days at Ayr Races despite not being a fan of racing at all (free tickets). Anyway it felt like pre covid times, no masks at all, stewards not enforcing it or even wearing one themselves, dance floor mobbed, queues a mile long for booze, the usual arses smoking next to you and fag reek getting in your face, skanky fckers going to the toilet and not washing their hands or folk not santaising them at every door they pass. People have a good time was so nice to see. Good luck trying to enforce vaccine passports at these kind of events, folk have had the taste for them again and have binned stupid restrictions in favour of having a great day out. The simps would be having kittens at the sights today 😂

🤔

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Why does Scotland want to be an independent nation if it can't even be a grown up country where it does have autonomy? Do the Simps actually have an opinion on this matter?

So let's get this right. You've moved on from posting unsubstantiated, fanatical shite, via twitter,  in an echo chamber, to trying desperately to make ridiculous, petty, childish points about independence ?

Are you patting yourself on the back because there are around a dozen similar extremists on here agreeing with you ? 

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Why does Scotland want to be an independent nation if it can't even be a grown up country where it does have autonomy? Do the Simps actually have an opinion on this matter?

A difference might be that Denmark for example now has an infection rate of 42 per 100,000, we are still at 563.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Bob’s been to the offie.  Strap yourself in for the ride.

I don't drink, rarely have in all my days. 

What I have, is an opinion on the absolute fucking hysterical nonsense that the likes of Elixir, Todd is God, and the rest of the fanatics who have jumped the shark, post on this thread. 

It's gone far beyond a discussion on covid. It's the realm of batshit crazy nutcases who increasingly have other agendas other than that regarding coronavirus.

This thread is no longer an exchange of views and information. It's all about a dozen people constantly screaming.

No doubt, you're one of them. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't drink, rarely have in all my days. 

What I have, is an opinion on the absolute fucking hysterical nonsense that the likes of Elixir, Todd is God, and the rest of the fanatics who have jumped the shark, post on this thread. 

It's gone far beyond a discussion on covid. It's the realm of batshit crazy nutcases who increasingly have other agendas other than that regarding coronavirus.

No doubt, you're one of them. 

Slow down mate.  Doesn’t open again until tomorrow morning.  You wouldn’t want to run out.