Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah, my daughter is trying to move there too.

Ancoats is the place to be if they can afford it.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That's shite, they started it with Brexit and refused to put India on the red list even when Delta was exploding.

Again, I don't know if you're deliberately misinterpreting what I'm saying but nobody said they didn't start it. Try reading what is said. 

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Ancoats is the place to be if they can afford it.

Again, I don't know if you're deliberately misinterpreting what I'm saying but nobody said they didn't start it. Try reading what is said. 

Whether you like it or not the Tories immediately coopted the progressive pleas to close the border to suit their nativist agenda, that's pretty apparent. 

They refused to slightly constrain the border until after just about every other major country had closed theirs, to prove that post Brexit Britain was open for business, and didn't do so until the ICUs started overflowing and we ran out of ventilators, with Johnson as a patient. How that was following progressive pleas to follow a nativist agenda is beyond me.

Edited by welshbairn

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't think importing Delta was a public health risk then? 

It was coming in anyway and was only a matter of time before it became dominant.

If “progressives” saw closing the border as a reluctant but necessary public health measure then you’d think they’d have been the first to call for it to be removed when it became unnecessary, but they weren’t at all. They just scoffed at anybody who shouted/begged for it to be removed or for any red list restrictions being removed and called them selfish, there were lengthy diatribes on here about how “rules are rules” even when it came to people rushing to their loved ones deathbeds.

Seemed to boil down to “I’m a good guy, I can’t possibly be racist” type thinking.

4 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

It was coming in anyway and was only a matter of time before it became dominant.

If “progressives” saw closing the border as a reluctant but necessary public health measure then you’d think they’d have been the first to call for it to be removed when it became unnecessary, but they weren’t at all. They just scoffed at anybody who shouted/begged for it to be removed or for any red list restrictions being removed and called them selfish, there were lengthy diatribes on here about how “rules are rules” even when it came to people rushing to their loved ones deathbeds.

Seemed to boil down to “I’m a good guy, I can’t possibly be racist” type thinking.

I've no idea where this collective voice from the progressives was coming from. I consider myself as a progressive and thought the blanket red listing of African and South American countries was appalling, especially when the threat of new variants diminished with the all conquering Delta, and the UK became the most infected country on the planet.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Manchester. I don't know if it's an extreme example here given the rapid gentrification but there's also a ton of building going on. I don't ever remember not facing a protracted search for a flat in Glasgow either though.

My son's now in his second year at Manchester Uni and is 'living out' and finding somewhere affordable was tough.

He's in a flat in Withington.  Which is like Motherwell without the charm.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

She's been looking there she said. That location would be ideal for her new job.

To be honest at this stage I think she's just about prepared to accept anything as she starts work in 3 weeks. Might need to put her up in a hotel for a week or 2 to get her started. Stressful doesn't even begin to describe it.

In a few months this will all be a distant memory. Not pleasant going through it though.

But she was willing to turn down a “really lovely house” because the landlord asked if she was double-jagged (which she is)?

Like all of your Covid stories, it lacks the ring of verisimilitude. 

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

She's been looking there she said. That location would be ideal for her new job.

To be honest at this stage I think she's just about prepared to accept anything as she starts work in 3 weeks. Might need to put her up in a hotel for a week or 2 to get her started. Stressful doesn't even begin to describe it.

In a few months this will all be a distant memory. Not pleasant going through it though.

Someone slagged off the transport links to me before I moved but as long as you're on a tram line I think there's lots of options. Places like Bury or Prestwich up in the north of the city are a bit further out but have great transport links and are more affordable. Feel free to give us a shout though, I've got a few folk here who were very helpful in giving us ideas on places to live. I'm in the centre myself through pure luck (and charm).

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

My son's now in his second year at Manchester Uni and is 'living out' and finding somewhere affordable was tough.

He's in a flat in Withington.  Which is like Motherwell without the charm.

One of the least royalist places in the country Kincy last I read! You'll have to keep an eye on that.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've no idea where this collective voice from the progressives was coming from. I consider myself as a progressive and thought the blanket red listing of African and South American countries was appalling, especially when the threat of new variants diminished with the all conquering Delta, and the UK became the most infected country on the planet.

From the word go the decision making has been utterly ridiculous and completely out of step with both the rest of the world and "the science".

We leave the borders open when the threat is huge but then close the borders once we've already succumbed and when the threat is now irrelevant.

We had countries on the "Red list" and "Amber list" which were 10 times better than ourselves and who had more internal restrictions in place, yet were letting in people from countries which were much much worse than those we weren't permitting travel from. We were also giving "business people" a free run irrespective which again was nothing at all to do with "following the science" or "public health".

We then told people that "going on holiday abroad" was "too dangerous", yet ended most restrictions here and allowed people to congregate in the thousands and come and go as they pleased to the areas with the highest covid rates in Europe without a care.

Honestly, it's been utterly farcical from start to finish and the Scottish Gov are equally as culpable with their idiotic additional restrictions and subtle differences which were introduced for no fathomable reasons at all, other than to make a political statement.

We then had this idiotic testing requirement just in case we let in someone from say Spain (who had a covid rate of 20 in 100,000) to a country which was sitting at 300+ in 100,000, does anyone get that one ???

As I say, all along the rules and regulations have been mental and not making any sort of sense, there's been no consistency and seemingly no plan or end game not to mention the many contradictions and back tracking, so really, is it any wonder that people have completely lost faith in our politicians, scientists and government ???

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

OK I'm going to respond to you once on this.

The problem with landlords like this one is that they end up being a total pain in the arse and a busybody. It's never worth renting from someone who outs themselves as a c**t in the first 2 minutes of chatting to them.

I know you're trying desperately hard to collect greenies and trying even harder to get me to bite but I'm not playing.

What’s the obsession with “greenies”?  I’ve no interest in them (if I did, I wouldn’t post on this thread, where i routinely pick up “reddies”).

I’m just pointing and laughing at someone so tied up in his stance on Covid and so desperate to prove his narrative, he would literally cut off his nose to spite his, and his families, faces.  That is, of course, if it actually happened at all.

36 minutes ago, 101 said:

Shouldn't be surprised with these charlatans but this just re-enforces the point. Do not under any circumstances fly with these arseholes.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/10/repay-amounts-won-by-chargeback-or-you-can-t-board-your-upcoming/

It's no surprise to anyone that Ryanair are being c***s.  I know people that book with them all the time because they're the cheapest option for where they want to go but I always reckon at some point they'll get fucked over.

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's no surprise to anyone that Ryanair are being c***s.  I know people that book with them all the time because they're the cheapest option for where they want to go but I always reckon at some point they'll get fucked over.

The label price is low but I don't think they are good value nor particularly cheap once you pay for all the extras or get fucked over.

Booking family holidays is different, but I've used Ryanair loads of times for ultra cheap flights and rarely had any problem. When I have had a problem and tried to claim money back I rapidly gave up and wrote it off, before booking my next flight. 

NHS Highland say on no account phone your GP to ask for a covid booster and flu jag, wait for a letter. The recorded message on the Surgery phone line says the same. The surgery website says phone them up and book an appointment, which I did, for Friday lunchtime. Wanted it done before going on holiday.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

The label price is low but I don't think they are good value nor particularly cheap once you pay for all the extras or get fucked over.

The only extra I pay for is a aisle seat, usually about a fiver, which entitles you to an extra full sized cabin bag and priority boarding.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The only extra I pay for is a aisle seat, usually about a fiver, which entitles you to an extra full sized cabin bag and priority boarding.

I've never flown with them, but that seems not to expensive. But would worry that if something happened they are going to be useless and that's when you pay.

27 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not only are they the "cheapest" option but quite often they're the "only" option.

I travel with Ryanair at least 10 times per year (in normal circumstances) and I can honestly say that I've never had an issue.

Until such times as our national flag carrier (don't make me laugh) starts flying from airports other than London or the likes of Easyjet start investing in the WOS then I'm afraid it's ALWAYS going to be Ryanair for me as frankly I've no alternative.