Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As I said, I think it’s a pretty disgraceful viewpoint (and the most Tory one possible) to be happy for people to lose their jobs, houses and lives in some cases due to delayed treatments etc so that you can work from home, when you’d likely be able to do that anyway without restrictions. However, got to commend you for at least having the balls to admit it, because like you say there’s a lot of people who think the exact same but want to pretend they want restrictions for selfless reasons, when in reality it’s the opposite.

I'm treating it very superficially when discussing it on here, particularly my own circumstances. Funding for NHS is connected to this in the short term, it's a bigger issue that needs addressed, maybe the public will pressurise politicians but I doubt it.

The employment position is difficult and I do care, just not enough it seems, but that could be said of many issues. Refugees, mental health, homelessness, addiction, but how many of us really do anything?

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As I said, I think it’s a pretty disgraceful viewpoint (and the most Tory one possible) to be happy for people to lose their jobs, houses and lives in some cases due to delayed treatments etc so that you can work from home, when you’d likely be able to do that anyway without restrictions. However, got to commend you for at least having the balls to admit it, because like you say there’s a lot of people who think the exact same but want to pretend they want restrictions for selfless reasons, when in reality it’s the opposite.

There will also be a pretty large group, you know, who are sick fed up of restrictions because of how they impact on themselves and loved ones.  Many in this group will have immense sympathy for those most directly impacted, such as those in hospitality for whom this must be a scary, recurring bloody nightmare.  Many group members will also be acutely aware and even critical of the contradictions and inconsistencies in how and who restrictions hit.

They probably have tellies and radios too, though, which highlight that there is much more uncertainty around where this may head, than is generally acknowledged on here.  That makes them far less strident than is fashionable on this thread.

This really isn't the black and white issue a visitor to here might gather.  

I desperately hope that hospital numbers don't soar.  If I was placing a bet, I'd say that's the likelier outcome.  If so, things should recover quickly.  If so, it doesn't render those who exercised excessive caution wicked either.  I say that while fully aware that the excessive caution will have done some damage.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm treating it very superficially when discussing it on here, particularly my own circumstances. Funding for NHS is connected to this in the short term, it's a bigger issue that needs addressed, maybe the public will pressurise politicians but I doubt it.

The employment position is difficult and I do care, just not enough it seems, but that could be said of many issues. Refugees, mental health, homelessness, addiction, but how many of us really do anything?

In this particular instance, doing nothing is an infinitely better look than openly admitting you are happy for things to get worse for them so long as it doesn't inconvenience you.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nobody, not even Clownshoes is disagreeing with this.  I'm certainly not agreeing with the SG / Leitch's approach to the whole thing, but I would have thought that their actual reasoning (football-related pub traffic etc) might have got across by now.  

The plucking of a maximum attendance figure out of thin air is infuriating though.  At the very least they could have at least considered matchday overheads and the rough number of fans it would take to cover those costs 

No i get what their ‘reasoning’ was, point is simply if they get to apply the notion that me travelling to a football game with my dad in the car and standing at an open air terrace is more dangerous than people coughing and breathing and licking each other to get 20% off the next sale (shudder) at 5am in braehead using the exact same transport methods they are concerned about for smaller crowds, then they absolutely deserve to be treated with no respect. 

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

image.png.3e1f14e6a27ec6d696b2cd7c2aa9582b.png

image.png.36bdef770bad2fad6e683144bb49d181.png

I dare say that the childish banning of politicians will impress some, but it would be interesting to see if the bloke in charge is quite so smug if some folk decide to boycott his pubs as a result.  (I thought pubs were desperate for every penny they can take?) 

As I understand it, they operate in Wales and Northern England so as far as Nicola Sturgeon is concerned l, I doubt if it will worry her much.  Not that I'd be calling for such a boycott of the premises run by JW Lees in Wales or Northern England which could probably be easily identified on their website.  No, not me. 

Pubs in places like that not 'allowing' Sturgeon to be served is a bit like me announcing that I was boycotting Trump Tower in New York this weekend or refusing to buy a 55 million dollar watch. 

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I dare say that the childish banning of politicians will impress some, but it would be interesting to see if the bloke in charge is quite so smug if some folk decide to boycott his pubs as a result.  (I thought pubs were desperate for every penny they can take?) 

As I understand it, they operate in Wales and Northern England so as far as Nicola Sturgeon is concerned l, I doubt if it will worry her much.  Not that I'd be calling for such a boycott of the premises run by JW Lees in Wales or Northern England which could probably be easily identified on their website.  No, not me. 

Pubs in places like that not 'allowing' Sturgeon to be served is a bit like me announcing that I was boycotting Trump Tower in New York this weekend or refusing to buy a 55 million dollar watch. 

You say its childish, i see it as a mark of solidarity with pub owners in Scotland and Wales against the senseless restriction of trade and destruction of lives and livelihoods. I feel a wee bit Deakebone Roundabout here as Im not a pub goer but I have several friends in the hospitality industry and watching them worry if they can pay the mortgage or not is distressing. I think its fair enough of the guy to bring attention in UK wide news of the destructive and unreasonable measures that are being forced upon industry. 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It was crystal clear from the start that this was an airborne virus.

Nothing has properly worked to any significant effect outside of vaccines and I do mean absolutely nothing else.

Didn't the initial lockdown in spring 2020 slow the spread?

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You say its childish, i see it as a mark of solidarity with pub owners in Scotland and Wales against the senseless restriction of trade and destruction of lives and livelihoods. I feel a wee bit Deakebone Roundabout here as Im not a pub goer but I have several friends in the hospitality industry and watching them worry if they can pay the mortgage or not is distressing. I think its fair enough of the guy to bring attention in UK wide news of the destructive and unreasonable measures that are being forced upon industry. 

That's a fair enough point of view but it would then also be the case that customer boycotting is fair as well.  I'm pretty sure there's folk on this site who boycott Wetherspoons because of Brexit. 

Certainly, if Lees had a pub in Edinburgh I wouldn't touch it with Boris Johnson's. 

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That's a fair enough point of view but it would then also be the case that customer boycotting is fair as well.  I'm pretty sure there's folk on this site who boycott Wetherspoons because of Brexit. 

Certainly, if Lees had a pub in Edinburgh I wouldn't touch it with Boris Johnson's. 

I wouldnt use any company who were run by people who I really disliked, a few I try to stay away from are Dyson, Wetherspoons, Asda, Barrhead Travel and Facebook. 

Went out on Christmas Day for our annual family Lunch for which we had made reservations two months ago. We were uncertain up to the last that the whole event might be cancelled again, just like the 2020 Christmas and Hogmanay parties. The restaurant owner told us he had prepared catering, tables, staffing and decor in anticipation of  a fair number of cancellations or restrictions. He had been surprised when every last guest who had booked turned up.

We really did have a superb meal and a perfect Christmas despite the best efforts of Leitch, Bauld and the SG.

43 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah, you see you're making the @welshbairn mistake of trying to transfer your own intellectual limitations and ignorance onto others.

Don't assume we're all as ignorant as you.

I wouldn't assume everyone is as ignorant as me.

I'd happily assume you are though.

Don't confuse bombast with insight.  It's a terribly foolish look.