Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

In this particular instance, doing nothing is an infinitely better look than openly admitting you are happy for things to get worse for them so long as it doesn't inconvenience you.

It amounts to the same though. I don't think I said I wanted things to get worse for anyone. As @oaksoftcorrectly pointed out, I'm not greatly affected by it so can't get myself worked up about it.

In terms of practical help I'll be in the pub tomorrow, keeping a couple of people in work. I'm not ready to man the barricades unfortunately.

Given how many people are returning positive tests recently, token measures are akin to trying to stop the tide coming in.

I suspect (although he would be hounded if they came out and said it) that BJ recognises this and therefore sees absolutely no point in restricting anything.

As it becomes apparant it is now at worst a bad cold for an overwhelming majority, the cost/benefit to individuals, businesses and the government as a whole is shifting massively towards "cost" to the point we will soon be better off accepting that most people are going to get it and be fine and bin off mass testing and mandatory isolation.

The main reason we aren't there yet IMO is the lingering belief that dying within 28 days of a positive Covid test it is still seen by too many as unacceptable and somehow completely avoidable.

34 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sigh.

What happened the second we opened back up again?

Er, things bumped along for a bit, before worsening as winter approached, then getting really bad with a new variant.   This again necessitated a lockdown to limit the spread and the devastating consequences that would ensue for a largely unvaccinated population.

I look forward to learning what I've got wrong from someone not lumbered with my intellectual limitations.

7 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Football have brought forward the winter break so she can now happily remove restrictions on outdoor events whilst still strangling the hospitality industry.

Not a chance NS relaxes anything. She can't afford the restrictions she's already put in place, and BJ (whether deliberately or not) has made her look like a panic merchant. She needs WM money.

Backing down will make her look silly so she'll go harder again to try and force the Treasury to provide it.

That said, that headline and article is a disgrace.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Latest Scottish Government revealed that 8,252 cases were reported on Christmas Day, 11,030 on Boxing Day and 10,562 today

https://twitter.com/Record_Politics/status/1475485481412571137?s=19

Think we just need to accept that basically every c**t has got it tbh. 

“Full catch up reporting will take place on 29 December and 5 January. This will provide the latest daily data for those days and the previous 4 days, and allow time to fully quality assure the data and ensure appropriate messaging and caveats are added if needed“

So it’s fine to lob out the case numbers to try and scare people but it’s everything else that needs caveated with proper messaging.

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

People were getting tested on Christmas day ???

LFT kits being handed out all over Glasgow today. Stunned they were actually queuing in Buchanan Galleries for them !

No idea if the testing was open tbh, though no reason to suspect it wouldn't be. I got my positive PCR on Christmas Day. I did get several automated emails RE contact tracing and a missed call on Boxing Day as I didn't do it immediately. 

We weren't seeing family or anything so just got on with the day as planned. Still feeling absolutely fine. 

Edited by Michael W

"Worth remembering tho that numbers would be higher still but for compliance with guidance issued in run up to Xmas"

That is a ludicrous statement to make tbh.

Complete conjecture.

The First Minister should stick purely to facts rather than trying to convince people that the restrictions she brought in to slow the spread of Covid have worked when they appear to be absolutely futile.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
BTP?

No Purple hi viz Scotrail team of four with body cams taking absolutely no shit.

I'm not convinced that Scotrail staff have any right to confiscate property.