Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It really won't. The demographic I referred to think the world of her for caring so much more and saving lives.

This does not counter the point above. People now have it ingrained that it is people going to football matches, going to concerts, and standing up in pubs that are the problem. These people are "selfish," "Rangers fans," "Tories" or "bitter Unionists."

People that don't do those things will happily pack shops and sit at their pre-booked table in a bar or restaurant (wear their mask as soon as they leave their seat) fully believing that they are different and being safe, responsible, and "saving the NHS."

They view these things as such because NS, JL etc have told them that this is the case.

It has definitely become more polarised and the mask- theatre is a classic example (and why it’s probably been used as a free- cost to government and highly visible method of compliance). We were out for a few drinks last night and there was zero table service, young folk hugging and dancing around etc but then you’d get the rare person pop on a filthy cloth rag to walk literally a few paces to the toilet.
Great to see folk ignoring Sturgeon’s “heads gone” egotistical rules  tbh and hopefully replicated throughout Scotland.
Is it @pozbairdwho goes to the gym and has a bunch of middle aged women who gaggle and cackle like hyenas  after their water aerobics, yet scream at each other to mask up, when they wander a few steps away from their table? 😂

Edited by deegee

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Covid isn't a rhinovirus. There are lots of factors, some not yet understood, but it's silly to think that mitigations against covid have had no effect in minimising flu infections.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03519-3

43 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'm fully aware of the difference.

Try drinking on a Scotrail train - it's not the staff who police it but the other passengers!!

It's a bizarre one because you can drink on Transpennine Express, LNER etc throughout the journey in Scotland.

they're resolving it on those services by switching to a shitey trolley with bad booze options so forgetful dafties like me have nothing good to drink

Walked down Dumbarton Road through Partick last night and there was no table service in the pubs I passed. You wouldn't have known they were under restrictions. Great to see and I hope everywhere else is the same. 

Totally over this now, hopefully Jason Leitch can f**k off back to his scale and polish job soon. 

The DUP want to open things up a bit (or, at least not impose more restrictions protection) but the other parties are agin it.
Certification is the first real thing they've been against.

Up till this point they've pretty much gone with everything. Givan himself used the phrase "the storm is coming" when describing Covid and the other restrictions that the Executive were bringing in.

2 minutes ago, deegee said:

It has definitely become more polarised and the mask- theatre is a classic example (and why it’s probably been used as a free- cost to government and highly visible method of compliance). We were out for a few drinks last night and there was zero table service, young folk hugging and dancing around etc but then you’d get the rare person pop on a filthy cloth rag to walk literally a few paces to the toilet. Great to see tbh and hopefully replicated throughout Scotland.
Is it @pozbairdwho goes to the gym and has a bunch of middle aged women who gaggle and cackle like hyenas  after their water aerobics, yet scream at each other to mask up, when they wander a few steps away from their table? 😂

One of the most ridiculous sights of the restrictions era has been people masking up to order at the bar, inches away from unmasked drinkers on bar stools.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Certification is the first real thing they've been against.

Up till this point they've pretty much gone with everything. Givan himself used the phrase "the storm is coming" when describing Covid and the other restrictions that the Executive were bringing in.

Still waiting on Michelle O'Neill's 30,000 cases per day...

Just now, gav-ffc said:

What time is todays doom day message about a cold?

It's tomorrow.

There really should be an onus placed on the SG now to provide hard data to support their view that, not only are these restrictions necessary, they are quite prepared to extend them given that they believe the peak will occur after they are due to be lifted.

We're now well into Omicron being here.

How many people has it brought into hospital acutely ill from it?

And, by extension, What numbers can the NHS deal with before being "overwhelmed"?

How many people have died where it was the primary cause?

You keep saying you need more data to determine if it is, as suggested, milder. What data do you need, and when do you expect to have it?

These, to me, are the questions I would expect opposition parties to ask. I don't feel they undermine the public health message or play down what has happened over the last 21 months, but it's absolutely vital IMO that a government happy to be putting restrictions on people's lives at the drop of a hat should be prepared to answer these questions.

"We don't know so will need to wait another couple of weeks" really shouldn't be acceptable anymore, regardless of what countries elsewhere are doing.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Covid isn't a rhinovirus. There are lots of factors, some not yet understood, but it's silly to think that mitigations against covid have had no effect in minimising flu infections...

You are not seeing the wood for the trees on the first part because the point being made was that viruses are known to actively compete with each other on infection. At no point have I claimed the latter part and all I initially responded to was the notion of "no flu for 2 years". I actually specifically mentioned the possibility of restrictions being a potential factor along with being outcompeted by COVID's much higher R0 only two posts back. You are not responding to what I am actually writing so there is little point in pursuing this any further.

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Or it could be that mitigations have been more effective against flu than covid, aided by our higher immunity. Covid doesn't stop people getting the flu.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-the-flu-season-basically-disappeared-this-year

Viral interference, however...

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Covid isn't a rhinovirus. There are lots of factors, some not yet understood, but it's silly to think that mitigations against covid have had no effect in minimising flu infections.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03519-3

Yeah, there's no way influenza could have spread somewhere like England over the past six months, or across red state America!

Social distancing will drive down the circulation of influenza, but let's not kid on that it's on a two-year vacation for such extreme measures that no longer exist.

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It really won't. The demographic I referred to think the world of her for caring so much more and saving lives.

This does not counter the point above. People now have it ingrained that it is people going to football matches, going to concerts, and standing up in pubs that are the problem. These people are "selfish," "Rangers fans," "Tories" or "bitter Unionists."

People that don't do those things will happily pack shops and sit at their pre-booked table in a bar or restaurant (wear their mask as soon as they leave their seat) fully believing that they are different and being safe, responsible, and "saving the NHS."

They view these things as such because NS, JL etc have told them that this is the case.

I’ve been seeing people using the argument “it’s only a football game” for a while now 

As if they’re purposely missing the point because they know when it comes down to it, they don’t really have an argument 

Easier to dismiss than discuss 

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
Still waiting on Michelle O'Neill's 30,000 cases per day...

Sinn Fein have always been conservative (with a small c) - not surprised they've continually backed restrictions.

Really? They've come out of their shell re gay marriage and abortion. Probably saw the way the wind was blowing and jumped on the bandwagon reacted according to the electorate.