Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, you're right - it's a shame.  I don't really see Sandra and Margaret as worthy of too much of our energy though.

In terms of "scoffing at people who do see these things as being important for them", I can't resist drawing a parallel with churches.  Clearly, there's no obvious comparison regarding how they and football grounds have been addressed during this, as football has clearly been more harshly treated.

I do think, however, that a similar case could be constructed regarding the social good church attendance does people.  

Now, there's no mystery behind the fact that football gets more attention on a football forum, populated by few church goers.  However, the pretence that we're not all coming at this from essentially biased standpoints, needs abandoned by some of those most keen to point a finger.

Is anyone saying football should be open and places of worship should be closed?  You're simply being an arse again.  Anyone with this position you could say is being biased.  Anyone saying both or none should be open isn't being biased in the slightest.

I don't believe anyone is saying they aren't of benefit to people.  They're saying that places of worship are likely more dangerous than football what with them being indoors and all.  It's a simple point but you seem quite unable to grasp it and instead keep trying to give it the holier than thou message and claim it's reasonable to prevent people attending sporting events.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Is anyone saying football should be open and places of worship should be closed?  You're simply being an arse again.  Anyone with this position you could say is being biased.  Anyone saying both or none should be open isn't being biased in the slightest.

I don't believe anyone is saying they aren't of benefit to people.  They're saying that places of worship are likely more dangerous than football what with them being indoors and all.  It's a simple point but you seem quite unable to grasp it and instead keep trying to give it the holier than thou message and claim it's reasonable to prevent people attending sporting events.

I'm not claiming that at all.  In fact, in several posts I've said the current  football restrictions are daft.

What I am doing, is saying that this willingness to disregard and dismiss things we don't value ourselves, is not confined to those who don't represent main players on here.

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Obviously, I might well be wrong, but I think they will end this time in the face of overwhelming evidence that they should.

They should end.

But... to do so requires a complete mentality shift from the SG.

They'd need to:

- Drop the "keep people safe" schtick.

- Accept that Omicron is milder

- Accept people are going to catch it

• And some people may get die

- Stop treating "cases" as a key metric

- Allow people who aren't sick to go about life as they did pre-March 2020

- Essentially admit that they caused unnecessary damage to business over the Christmas / New Year period.

That's a lot to happen in under two weeks.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They should end.

But... to do so requires a complete mentality shift from the SG.

They'd need to:

- Drop the "keep people safe" schtick.

- Accept that Omicron is milder

- Accept people are going to catch it

• And some people may get die

- Stop treating "cases" as a key metric

- Allow people who aren't sick to go about life as they did pre-March 2020

- Essentially admit that they caused unnecessary damage to business over the Christmas / New Year period.

That's a lot to happen in under two weeks.

I don't see it as that tricky.

It need only involve saying that any link between case numbers and hospitalisations is very small, as they've been able to establish over the festive period.  It's very easy to say then that the time is right to ease restrictions.

I don't see such a decision necessitating a huge climb down.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, all of which I acknowledge and accept.

I think football has immense power to be a social good.

I'll admit, however, to finding the line offered by that Tory MSP yesterday, a bit overblown.

Of course, football can do people good, but curtailing it for a couple of weeks is unlikely to do huge damage of the type outlined.

Yes, if this extends months into 2022 with such scant evidence behind it, such considerations deserve a profile.  Right now though, noises of this type do actually invite a little ridicule.  Inevitability, some of that ridicule is laced with ignorant prejudice.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not claiming that at all.  In fact, in several posts I've said the current  football restrictions are daft.

What I am doing, is saying that this willingness to disregard and dismiss things we don't value ourselves, is not confined to those who don't represent main players on here.

Do you see the contradiction here?  You’re claiming that stopping people attending football will do very little harm.  Only if it carries on for months does it become unreasonable based on the evidence.

You’re all over the place.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't see it as that tricky.

It need only involve saying that any link between case numbers and hospitalisations is very small, as they've been able to establish over the festive period.  It's very easy to say then that the time is right to ease restrictions.

I don't see such a decision necessitating a huge climb down.

They've been playing the "small percentage of a big number can still be a big number" card a lot recently.

They, quite simply, can't lift restrictions with cases still around 5 figures a day without climbing down.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Do you see the contradiction here?  You’re claiming that stopping people attending football will do very little harm.  Only if it carries on for months does it become unreasonable based on the evidence.

You’re all over the place.

Actually no.

Where is the contradiction?  It appears unreasonable, based on the evidence, even now.  However, it'll become more of a problem in terms of social damage, if it lasts a while.

Let's be honest.  90% of attending football fans in this country were preparing for a winter shutdown anyway.  

I've always argued against summer football on the basis that we need our football during the depressing months of January and February.  Nobody has been moaning about the mental health impact of a winter break.

12 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

If you can watch the football in the house then you can pray at home also 

It’s not like God won’t hear you at home 

One of the great contradictions of religion, God is everywhere, but you need to go to his house on [insert specific day based on religion] or he'll be fucking raging.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Actually no.

Where is the contradiction?  It appears unreasonable, based on the evidence, even now.  However, it'll become more of a problem in terms of social damage, if it lasts a while.

Let's be honest.  90% of attending football fans in this country were preparing for a winter shutdown anyway.  

I've always argued against summer football on the basis that we need our football during the depressing months of January and February.  Nobody has been moaning about the mental health impact of a winter break.

And still you’re trying to justify it.  This is like conversing with a 2 year old, or a politician.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He could have said absolutely nothing whatsoever.

That would have been less patronising.

The overwhelming majority of people didn't ask for and simply do not need John Swinney's advice on anything.

We pay these people very handsomely indeed to look after our NHS and in 14 years they've run it into the ground.

But apparently it's OUR fault that the NHS is struggling?
It's US who have to change what we do?

The only thing we need from John Swinney is his resignation letter.

He was asked a specific question about folk crossing the border. Given the context of everything we’ve heard over the past few weeks he gave a fairly unremarkable answer. 

He’s obviously useless, this was just a fairly mundane comment imo. 

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

And still you’re trying to justify it.  This is like conversing with a 2 year old, or a politician.

I'm not justifying it.

I am saying that the "what about the mental health of fans?" case, is a bit flimsy.

Your inability to recognise subtle distinctions does not, I'm afraid, render me infantile or evasive.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

He was asked a specific question about folk crossing the border. Given the context of everything we’ve heard over the past few weeks he gave a fairly unremarkable answer. 
He’s obviously useless, this was just a fairly mundane comment imo. 
And let's face it, at the relative short notice they know there will be precious few doing it that were not already pre booked. Cost of accommodation and the disruption to public transport alone will put it out of the reach of most who might even consider it.

I saw just today the leader of the main publicans group in England bemoaning the messaging there has resulted in a near 50% reduction in trade over the festive period. The notion that it's pack outs business as usual down there just isn't the case. They might be less restricted but it hasn't stopped the public taking government advice and staying away.