Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Don’t think it will be needed but an interesting story in the FT saying that England are considering opening up Nightingale type or field hospitals in case they are required for Omicron patients which will keep them away from mainstream hospitals. A bit like the old ID or scarlet fever hospitals.

At last, some common sense is starting to percolate through.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hes suggesting that the public story from Westminster, "The data does not support restrictions is a lie". I think to back that up, you have to be able to show that the data DOES support restrictions, but is being ignored and it follows on from there that the data would tell you which restrictions were required.

I dont think im being unreasonable there?

They are not mutually exclusive arguments - you can use the data but still have political considerations.

And that's not exclusively a Westminster thing either - I've no doubt that a lot of what the Scottish and Welsh Executives are doing has political considerations as well as @Todd_is_God has alluded to on several occasion.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/30/lateral-flow-tests-to-be-constrained-over-next-two-weeks-warns-sajid-javid

Hopefully someone in authority will smack down the world's shittest dentist then, for shrieking at perfectly healthy people to get tested before ever leaving their house and massively squandering scarce public health resources in the process. 

Here's how a logical system should work:

1) If you are a household/close contact, you must take a negative LFT to release before the end of isolation. 

2) If you have generic cold-like symptoms, you should consider taking a LFT to check if it's the shan variant or not.

3) If you're perfectly well, you should take no LFTs at all and reserve them for cases of genuine need.

Chasing asymptomatic infection across the entire population is utter folly. 

I've had 3 jags already, LFT's can GTF. 

Stop mass testing, which evidently does nothing to prevent spread anyway. Healthcare workers with no or minimal symptoms should be free to work.
I still think there is a role for testing - particularly in the Health and Care sectors - where staff are dealing with patients with serious underlying health issues.  I think there is also a personal choice regards testing for those with responsibilities - those with perhaps elderly relatives or relatives with underlying health conditions.

Where I think testing is a waste of time is in sectors such as Education - the pantomime of some pupils and some staff taking LFTs twice weekly hasn't made schools any safer.

In terms of NHS staff I think there does need changes made to self-isolation - there needs to be a better mechanism to get staff back to work if they have tested positive but are no longer infectious. 

They are not mutually exclusive arguments - you can use the data but still have political considerations.
And that's not exclusively a Westminster thing either - I've no doubt that a lot of what the Scottish and Welsh Executives are doing has political considerations as well as [mention=2588]Todd_is_God[/mention] has alluded to on several occasion.
Well yeah.... But the default position for any democratic society is not to have these types of restrictions on peoples lives. So its more incumbent on those applying them to justify them than those not applying to justify not applying them.

Folk who assert that Westminster are lying can prove this by sinply showing us that the data shows a need for restrictions.

I know there is a few medical people on this thread so thought I’d ask here instead of the futility of getting a doctor. Last night for the second time since Aug, I took a turn. Ears started to ring so loud, I got really warm, struggled to breath, felt so lightheaded that I lay on the floor so I wouldn’t faint. Thankfully it passed after about 10 mins, but I don’t feel my heart rate is 100% today. Any ideas? 

1 minute ago, GTee said:

Clearly one isn't enough, so we are now in the midst of TWO pandemics in the North East now. 😟

Screenshot_2021-12-30-12-48-14-441_com.android.chrome.jpg

As I’ve said before, anything said by Jillian Evans should be chucked in the bin immediately. So risk averse and terrified, I don’t know how she leaves the house.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I know there is a few medical people on this thread so thought I’d ask here instead of the futility of getting a doctor. Last night for the second time since Aug, I took a turn. Ears started to ring so loud, I got really warm, struggled to breath, felt so lightheaded that I lay on the floor so I wouldn’t faint. Thankfully it passed after about 10 mins, but I don’t feel my heart rate is 100% today. Any ideas? 

Open the windows and turn the heating up full blast.

Seriously though, persist in trying to get a Doctor, or NHS24 possible. That doesn't sound like the sort of issue you'll get solid advice on from the various doyens of this fine website. 

8 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If you can't get hold of your doctor phone 111 pronto.

I am so frustrated with this shite.

More chance of me catching the shan cold at Tesco than sitting next to my 2 sons at the football.

Can't wait till all the asymptomatic/slightly snotty kids go back to school in January for the case numbers to rise again to let the Scottish Government shite itself, twist the numbers and keep the restrictions on. c***s.

Well yeah.... But the default position for any democratic society is not to have these types of restrictions on peoples lives. So its more incumbent on those applying them to justify them than those not applying to justify not applying them.

Folk who assert that Westminster are lying can prove this by sinply showing us that the data shows a need for restrictions.
I don't think anyone is saying they are lying but more that they don't trust Johnson's motives.

For what it's worth, I think there are members of the UK cabinet who have been fully focused on keeping restrictions to a minimum - not because of the direct impact on people's lives but the indirect economic impact.

14 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Anyone else catch some Scottish pro-restriction rocket on Jeremy Vine.

Totally uneducated, yet able to speak to a massive audience and spout absolute rubbish as if it were fact. "The league cup final caused the Omicron explosion in Scotland" a particular favourite.

Was it John Swinney?

20 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yes I have an idea. Phone the fucking doctor instead of asking strangers on the internet for advice on what could potentially be a serious issue. 

10 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Yes I have an idea. Phone the fucking doctor instead of asking strangers on the internet for advice on what could potentially be a serious issue. 

As I said Im not asking randoms on here, I know there is a few who work in the medical field who post on this thread. Thought I’d ask for advice before the ball ache that is trying to get in touch with your own GP or 111

55 minutes ago, GTee said:

Clearly one isn't enough, so we are now in the midst of TWO pandemics in the North East now. 😟

Screenshot_2021-12-30-12-48-14-441_com.android.chrome.jpg

Why do they lie? This very quickly won't be the case for much longer. There is literally indisputable evidence now that Omicron exposure neutralises Delta, and Omicron is far more transmissable.

Utter fantasists, honestly.

32 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I still think there is a role for testing - particularly in the Health and Care sectors - where staff are dealing with patients with serious underlying health issues.  I think there is also a personal choice regards testing for those with responsibilities - those with perhaps elderly relatives or relatives with underlying health conditions.

Where I think testing is a waste of time is in sectors such as Education - the pantomime of some pupils and some staff taking LFTs twice weekly hasn't made schools any safer.

In terms of NHS staff I think there does need changes made to self-isolation - there needs to be a better mechanism to get staff back to work if they have tested positive but are no longer infectious.

It should simply start to be treated the same as any other respiratory infection once we're through this winter.

As an aside, I see top boi Francois Balloux was also back on The Nine again the other night: