Scottish numbers: 30 December 2021

Summary
16,857 new cases of COVID-19 reported*
71,612 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results*
27.1% of these were positive
9 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
34 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
810 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
4,381,226 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 4,012,490 have received their second dose, and 2,944,977 have received a third dose or booster.

Seems like a fair leap in hospitalisations? Like, was it not just over 400 a week ago?

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Summary
4,381,226 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 4,012,490 have received their second dose, and 2,944,977 have received a third dose or booster.

Seems like a fair leap in hospitalisations? Like, was it not just over 400 a week ago?

494 on the 18th December but icu numbers are the exact same at 34.

8 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Summary

That's a huge leap in hospital numbers. But a further decrease in ICU numbers.

I reckon they'll let hospital numbers continue to rise until NY is out the road. Then refine them into with/because of, and use that lower number as the reason for loosening restrictions. It's the tactic they used back in September last year when anyone in hospital who had ever tested positive counted as a Covid hospitalisation, before they changed it to anyone testing positive on admission/within 28 days.

78,984 positive cases in a week was always going to result in a rise in incidental admissions. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

This is exactly why we need the because of / with stats.

There can be no excuse now for deceiving the public.

Hopefully Geissler pressing Humza Youdaf last night is the start of BBC Scotland asking them some testing questions.

11 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

It's why we need to know the breakdown of why people are in hospital.

It really isn't helpful to know how many people are in hospital if we just bundle those with mild or no symptoms in with people who may have a serious bout of covid.

This should have been the case all along, though, not suddenly become a concern because the SG face the prospect of needing to either lift restrictions with hospital numbers much higher than when they put them in place, or keep them in place and fund them with money they don't have.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Even though there's a lag between hospitalisations filtering through to ICU admissions, the fact remains the stable figures there show how much incidental admissions are inflating the overall numbers. People who are in 'for' covid also require oxygen etc a lot less than before and are discharged more quickly - so a hospitalisation now isn't the same as what it used to be and so even more can be soaked up as a result. This latter point was also highlighted in recent SAGE documents.

The people who hold the view that football is un-important, and dismiss the notion that it is of benefit to people, mentally, socially, or even physically, should be lined up in front of a camera. Asked what their hobbies are. I would wager, that we could, if we chose to, rip the shit out of them on the spot. Bet some of you some play golf, like I do. It gives me immense social, mental, and physical benefit. Walking around hitting a wee white ball into a hole? That’s just stupid and un-important though. No it isn’t. Maybe some of the football haters go to a gym. For physical, mental, and social benefit. Maybe some of the football haters just enjoy getting out the house to walk. For no reason other than to go for a walk to no-where in particular… the dafties, eh? Joggers? Lunatics.

This last paragraph is a long winded way to say the people dismissing football and the love lots of us have for it, are deserving of a swift slap across the ashet, followed by a comprehensive analysis of their hobby of choice, straight to their recently slapped faces.

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

612386135_Screenshot_20211230-141659_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.69d5a9d994e5fed7833b42e720277efa.jpg

Well thanks for clearing that up First Minister, at least you showed your working.

"Major events put a strain on emergency services."

Thank f**k we have all those police free on a Saturday afternoon to assist with this Omicron apocalypse.

I mean sickness in the police due to self isolation is massive just now, most are absolutely asymptomatic but cant come to work. In terms of football however the very easy solution to that is to re-jig the fixtutes, football matches are graded in terms of their risk a-c(ir), a is low risk no police needed which covers just about every match out-with the premier league. Even a Cat b game doesnt need that many resources. It absolutely could be done if they were honest and said we can play football matches but we cant have the old firm at home for 3 weeks. 

It really isn't helpful to know how many people are in hospital if we just bundle those with mild or no symptoms in with people who may have a serious bout of covid.
This should have been the case all along, though, not suddenly become a concern because the SG face the prospect of needing to either lift restrictions with hospital numbers much higher than when they put them in place, or keep them in place and fund them with money they don't have.
Was just about to post similar.

The fact that ICU numbers remain relatively stable despite an increase in hospital numbers would tend to suggest that a large number are in hospital with Covid rather than because of it.

I understand why NS might be reluctant to go into the data, but by routinely failing to acknowledge it's a thing, it just makes her look a bit incompetent. The replies on twitter are full of comments about the distinction, and I feel that they are only going to get away with not divulging it sooner than the 5th because parliament isn't sitting.

You can bet your house that if the data supported the SG's decisions it would be sung from the rooftops, which makes me think it's not as bad as they are (currently) making it out to be.

… and as for the Baldy Speccy Tube telling folk not to travel to England for Hogmanay and a relatively normal city centre party experience… the man is even more idiotic than I thought. Hard to believe I know, because I already thought he was a Grade A fcukwit. Of course some people will head to England, you utter buffoon. Young folk maybe, who only have one shot at being aged 18-21ish, and after nearly two years, your government is STILL hell bent on hammering and closing the places young folk go to. I’m 60, so my days of clubbing are long gone, but by Christ, I loved my holiday in England earlier this year where things felt completely normal and facemasks were advisory. Guaranteed, if I was 18-21, I wouldn’t be on a fitba’ forum, I’d be in Newcastle or Liverpool for a few days break… Swinney, you are an utter fanny.

This is one thing you and I both agree on.

The people who hold the view that football is un-important, and dismiss the notion that it is of benefit to people, mentally, socially, or even physically, should be lined up in front of a camera. Asked what their hobbies are. I would wager, that we could, if we chose to, rip the shit out of them on the spot. Bet you some play golf, like I do. It gives me immense social, mental, and physical benefit. Walking around hitting a wee white ball into a hole? That’s just stupid and un-important though. No it isn’t. Maybe some of the football haters go to a gym. For physical, mental, and social benefit. Maybe some of the football haters just enjoy getting out the house to walk. For no reason other than to go for a walk to no-where in particular… the dafties, eh? Joggers? Lunatics.
This last paragraph is a long winded way to say the people dismissing football and the love lots of us have for it, are deserving of a swift slap across the ashet, followed by a comprehensive analysis of their hobby of choice, straight to their recently slapped faces.
Golf is a good walk spoiled.

[emoji6]

I understand why NS might be reluctant to go into the data, but by routinely failing to acknowledge it's a thing, it just makes her look a bit incompetent. The replies on twitter are full of comments about the distinction, and I feel that they are only going to get away with not divulging it sooner than the 5th because parliament isn't sitting.
You can bet your house that if the data supported the SG's decisions it would be sung from the rooftops, which makes me think it's not as bad as they are (currently) making it out to be.
Yesterday's briefing felt very much like paving the way for a retreat.

39 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

On the face of it, it is a big increase. However, how many of the 810 are actually primarily being treated for something else and have tested positive?

There is a distinction here, I'm not sure where the figures are for NHS Scotland. I can find the English equivalents but nothing for up here.

Moreover, a positive hospital admission of Omicron is very different to Delta (significantly less severe).

I'm not sure hospital admissions is the indicator it was for Delta. It would also be good to see how much is Delta and how much is Omicron. Do we know that?