Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
Okay, I had a flat in East Lothian which was owned by my wife and myself. We rented it out, claimed 100% rates relief but paid water rates. During the pandemic we lost renters but, rightly or wrongly just thought it was immoral to claim grants on a property on which we had no mortgage and minimal expenses. 
You obviously are knowledgeable on. these matters but we were quite happy to just not bother claiming.

Rates on a flat, a domestic property ?

If the property is a furnished holiday let it is a commercial property and qualifies for rates relief, and you will only pay the water rates, which will be cheaper than staying registered for Council Tax. However, there also was an income restriction, so that if the income from holiday letting was only a small part of total income (if you had another job) you still would not qualify for the LA grant.

If the property is a furnished holiday let it is a commercial property and qualifies for rates relief, and you will only pay the water rates, which will be cheaper than staying registered for Council Tax. However, there also was an income restriction, so that if the income from holiday letting was only a small part of total income (if you had another job) you still would not qualify for the LA grant.
Yes I know all that, basically a short term let AirBnB type property. He didn't make that distinction though. New rules coming for the Ctax v NDR scenario in the new financial year I'm lead to believe following the Barclay commission's report

It would appear that WM are planning on going ahead with this as originally leaked prior to Omicron.

This is great news as it quite literally pulls the rug from under NS's feet and forces her to start thinking about manouvering out of the corner she has painted herself into.

As an aside, Helen Lovejoy just popped up as a pointless answer on Pointless. Clearly no P&Bers were involved in the survey process for that!

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
Okay, I had a flat in East Lothian which was owned by my wife and myself. We rented it out, claimed 100% rates relief but paid water rates. During the pandemic we lost renters but, rightly or wrongly just thought it was immoral to claim grants on a property on which we had no mortgage and minimal expenses. 
You obviously are knowledgeable on. these matters but we were quite happy to just not bother claiming.

Rates on a flat, a domestic property ?

It’s not a domestic  property when you rent it out for around 140 days, I think, per annum.

It then becomes a business asset on which rates are payable, albeit mitigated by 100% if the RV is below around 10000.

The downside is that you have to pay water rates separately.

HMRC accepts this as a trading business which then attracts entrepreneurs relief CGT on the sale (10% rather than 20%)

Look into it.

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
DPB wanting to tell lies about being a landlord now, presulably because he knows landlords are unpopular on here.

What a sad act.

So many holes in that story it's clearly shite, he obviously hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

You are the ones talking ‘shite’.

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Jagsfan said:

At last, someone who knows what they’re talking about.

Thank you very much.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It would appear that WM are planning on going ahead with this as originally leaked prior to Omicron.

This is great news as it quite literally pulls the rug from under NS's feet and forces her to start thinking about manouvering out of the corner she has painted herself into.

As an aside, Helen Lovejoy just popped up as a pointless answer on Pointless. Clearly no P&Bers were involved in the survey process for that!

Hopefully the beginning of the end of this shite. 

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Yes I know all that, basically a short term let AirBnB type property. He didn't make that distinction though. New rules coming for the Ctax v NDR scenario in the new financial year I'm lead to believe following the Barclay commission's report

No, you didn’t know that. I made it clear that we had ‘renters’, plural, I.e. short term lets.

You are supposed to know something about LA finance. If you would just read what I say you might learn something..

It’s not a domestic  property when you rent it out for around 140 days, I think, per annum.
It then becomes a business asset on which rates are payable, albeit mitigated by 100% if the RV is below around 10000.
The downside is that you have to pay water rates separately.
HMRC accepts this as a trading business which then attracts entrepreneurs relief CGT on the sale (10% rather than 20%)
Look into it.
Look 2 posts up and I posted about exactly what you are describing. You didn't say in your opening post it was a short term let Abnb style set up.

Away back to your hotel bar, the calima dust is going to your brain

Is this article right enough, or nonsense?  

I know they moved to including PCR and LFD results in the national figures recently, but I can't see anyone else reporting the stuff below, unless it's tucked away somewhere on the Public Health Scotland website.

HN.png.fbaace7ff7a247241dcf27455cca59f8.png

No, you didn’t know that. I made it clear that we had ‘renters’, plural, I.e. short term lets.
You are supposed to know something about LA finance. If you would just read what I say you might learn something..
Renters plural certainly doesn't restrict a let to being a short term Airbnb set up. An HMO has renters plural as would a student flat but both are let on a longer term basis. You are being pedantic in the extreme if you are actually saying that by saying renters it indicated it was an Airbnb property

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Renters plural certainly doesn't restrict a let to being a short term Airbnb set up. An HMO has renters plural as would a student flat but both are let on a longer term basis. You are being pedantic in the extreme if you are actually saying that by saying renters it indicated it was an Airbnb property

It’s classed as a short term holiday let and you need to prove that you advertise it as such.

Lets shut this down as it’s boring for other posters but I would appreciate it if you would stop your false insinuations about the efficacy of my posts.

Restrictions? Protections, shirley? 
Interesting distinction when they are being lifted as they clearly don't want to say they are removing "protection" as that has connotations of somehow putting folk at risk yet it's the opposite when they are being instated. Pretty disingenuous.

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Reporting Scotland strangely upbeat tonight about data/restrictions being lifted/pressure on the NHS

They’re probably fed up of them too.