Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Nobody knows that for now. We need to see how this plays out. It seems that so far the deaths are mainly old and sick people, but that might change.

My point is that even if this one isn't a global disaster, it doesn't mean that the next one won't be. The problem with these things is that every time we have an event that doesn't kill half the population of the world, like SARS or Ebola, people become more convinced that every outbreak is just media scaremongering. It's not. This is dangerous and China is a danger to us all.

Maybe I should be worried...

53 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

As soon as they knew what they were dealing with - which was weeks ago - they should have done what they are doing now.

There should also have been a public information campaign rather than a public disinformation campaign.

They should also have been open with the international community to allow other countries to start screening arrivals.

This is all too late. The genie is out the bottle and the virus is essentially global. China failed in its duty to its population and failed in its obligations to the international community. One of these times we won't get away with this.

Just need to wait and see what the infection rate is now.

As another poster mentioned above, this is just China trying to give the impression of being in control. They've completely lost the plot here.

If this has been going on for weeks and there's only 20 odd people died then surely it's a case of "there's nothing to see here" ??

I'd imagine that normal flu strains kill many more than that each year in China as even in the UK there were 8 reported deaths from our "standard" flu last year alone.

Having said that, the fact the Chinese appear to be taking such drastic measures would make me wonder if it's not much much worse than is actually being reported ???

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If this has been going on for weeks and there's only 20 odd people died then surely it's a case of "there's nothing to see here" ??

I'd imagine that normal flu strains kill many more than that each year in China as even in the UK there were 8 reported deaths from our "standard" flu last year alone.

Having said that, the fact the Chinese appear to be taking such drastic measures would make me wonder if it's not much much worse than is actually being reported ???

That's been the point all along.

The numbers the Chinese are reporting are clearly not the numbers.

Pretty much nothing the Chinese have said about this has been accurate.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's been the point all along.

The numbers the Chinese are reporting are clearly not the numbers.

Pretty much nothing the Chinese have said about this has been accurate.

By next week they'll be saying that there was never a city called Wuhan and there has always been a gigantic, smouldering, radioactive crater where it definitely wasn't.

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Also worth mentioning that even if the current death total is accurate, there's nothing to say the virus won't change and start killing more effectively. A huge part of this is that nobody knows how the virus will behave. It might end up being nothing, or it might kill a lot of people.

Good news is that if it becomes more deadly, it will spread less widely as the people who catch it won't be able to spread it for as long. A less deadly virus (in terms of death per infection) spreads further. May ultimately kill the same number of people in pure numerical terms, but a higher body count per infection is good news if you're far away from it at outbreak.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Also worth mentioning that even if the current death total is accurate, there's nothing to say the virus won't change and start killing more effectively. A huge part of this is that nobody knows how the virus will behave. It might end up being nothing, or it might kill a lot of people.

Good news is that if it becomes more deadly, it will spread less widely as the people who catch it won't be able to spread it for as long. A less deadly virus (in terms of death per infection) spreads further. May ultimately kill the same number of people in pure numerical terms, but a higher body count per infection is good news if you're far away from it at outbreak.

Not very cheery outcomes either way to be honest......

57 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Think there is a lot more ‘genuine panic’ here in Asia, due to the larger cities, closer living proximities and eating culture and hygiene. Things are certainly getting serious. Its a holiday here right now for new year, but received two notifications this morning. One from my kids school to highlight the new screening methods and processes for when the the school goes back and one from my employer stating there will be temperature screening outside the building when we go back Tuesday and failure to go to the doctor or report feeling ill within the family could become disciplinary.

Similar here. I'm in Malaysia and my graft were sending people home today who were coughing and sneezing. Inexplicably, two people came to work despite having fever and quite obvious flu symptoms. Neither have been to China recently, but it's still an incredible thing to do.

They are expecting to confirm cases in Malaysia soon. Waiting on 8 tests in Johor just now. Now that it's in Singapore, it seems inevitable we'll get it here if we don't have it already. And, of course, the population movement between here and China in the next week will be enormous. It's a matter of time.

I see it's now being reported that some of the dead in China had no fever as part of their symptoms. This renders the airport screening being carried out essentially useless.

Similar here. I'm in Malaysia and my graft were sending people home today who were coughing and sneezing. Inexplicably, two people came to work despite having fever and quite obvious flu symptoms. Neither have been to China recently, but it's still an incredible thing to do.
They are expecting to confirm cases in Malaysia soon. Waiting on 8 tests in Johor just now. Now that it's in Singapore, it seems inevitable we'll get it here if we don't have it already. And, of course, the population movement between here and China in the next week will be enormous. It's a matter of time.
I see it's now being reported that some of the dead in China had no fever as part of their symptoms. This renders the airport screening being carried out essentially useless.

44 suspected cases here, 3 confirmed. Some of the ones in JB are from the same party of 2 of the 3 here in Singapore, so likely Malaysia has it now.

Government just announced a few minutes ago, 4 quarantine centres are being prepared on military bases here. So they are taking this shit serious.

Like being in the movies. :-)

My young one here actually has a virus and chest infection just now, from last week and we have been to the docs, so not so concerned.

2 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

44 suspected cases here, 3 confirmed. Some of the ones in JB are from the same party of 2 of the 3 here in Singapore, so likely Malaysia has it now.

Government just announced a few minutes ago, 4 quarantine centres are being prepared on military bases here. So they are taking this shit serious.

Like being in the movies. 🙂

My young one here actually has a virus and chest infection just now, from last week and we have been to the docs, so not so concerned.

Singapore won't mess about. You lot will have pristine quarantine zones with clearly defined smoking areas and plenty of bins. Probably some angry looking soldiers shouting at people too. :)

It'll be interesting to see what the response is here. Obviously everyone is off work for the next week or so, but it'll be interesting to see where we are in two weeks. I'm retreating to my pool for the holiday. What to do.

Singapore won't mess about. You lot will have pristine quarantine zones with clearly defined smoking areas and plenty of bins. Probably some angry looking soldiers shouting at people too. [emoji4]
It'll be interesting to see what the response is here. Obviously everyone is off work for the next week or so, but it'll be interesting to see where we are in two weeks. I'm retreating to my pool for the holiday. What to do.

Thats very true, we don’t f**k about here :-)
Think Singapore was the first country to screen flights from Wuhan. The people who got here came from other cities. Everyone on those flights and in the hotels are being rounded up. Probably why these quarantine places are being set up.
They even tracked these people to JB.

Malaysia will f**k about for a few days surely before doing anything.

Will be a huge let down when it comes to nothing.

44 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Think your second place will be secure for a while unless any of the hygiene heavy weights enter the fray (India/Pakistan/etc).

giphy.gif

Our Government have told us that Wuhan citizens favourite holiday destination is Thailand.  The Thai Government are always on the ball. Cough! cough! :shutup

Anyway, I'm off to the shop to stock up on dry noodles and milk (for my Scottish teabags)8)

ETA this 5th case, was not detected at the airport, she had to go to the hospital on her own accord as she was feeling unwell.  Out of 5 cases, we have missed two at the airport screening stage.

"nothing to see here folk"

Edited by SlipperyP