Saints vs Accies 5/2/20 - 6 Pointer perhaps!

Team selection, tactics and subs seemed bizarre following on Twitter so how Goodwin couldn't see it amazes me. We should have been looking to go at Hamilton from the start - playing one up front at home against a team you know are going to sit in and defend was madness. Goodwin said after Saturday he should maybe have put the brakes on after we got 2-0 up - he didn't need to take that approach from the start last night.

Not the for the first time this season, it reminds me of the approach we took when our technical director was in charge.

Edited by Stu

8 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Watched the re run of the game on Alba, both assaults on Ryan Flynn and Famewo were shockers. Both red cards. 

Newlands is a fucking clown.

Just watched the 2nd half recording of Alba, have to disagree about any ‘assault’ on Flynn by Accies’ Miller. Miller never tried to ‘do him’, not at all. Eyes on the ball and completely tried to play the ball. Looked like Flynn’s ankle got turned over. Despite the fact the referee was pish, that was never a red card offence IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just watched the 2nd half recording of Alba, have to disagree about any ‘assault’ on Flynn by Accies’ Miller. Miller never tried to ‘do him’, not at all. Eyes on the ball and completely tried to play the ball. Looked like Flynn’s ankle got turned over. Despite the fact the referee was pish, that was never a red card offence IMHO.

That one wasn't (Flynn) , but the elbow in Famewo's face was. Goodwin had a go at Collum in the technical area over the "challenge " but obviously fell on deaf ears. 

2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

That one wasn't (Flynn) , but the elbow in Famewo's face was. Goodwin had a go at Collum in the technical area over the "challenge " but obviously fell on deaf ears. 

Agree, the Moyo elbow was a red all day long. Knew exactly what he was doing. Unlike the referee.

Nice trying to tip toe around the facts here. He was literally pushed out the box by Andreu despite already having safe possession of the ball. 
If anything it was a free kick to us, but he didn’t even signal play on/advantage just completely ignored the whole incident.

One of many many baffling moments from the ref.

That was my take on it. A ridiculous turn of events in that part of the game. It was a blatant push, should’ve been a free kick. How can he play on when there is then a foul in the moments after with the keeper taking the ball out of the box? It had to be a free kick to one team or the other, he couldn’t have just played on. The head clash was a difficult one, it more highlighted the weakness we have at left back with the lack of height and teams targeting it. All in all a shambolic refereeing performance.
There were 2 similar incidents, MacPherson jumped attempting to block the ball went relatively near the Accies player but there was no contact - free kick. Andreu jumped straight into a Hamilton player on the touch line - no free kick. There were two incidents with saints on the attack, Hamilton player tripped off the ball - free kick. Saints player tripped off the ball - no free kick.

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Watching it back I thought it looked like Miller was dangerously high and caught Flynn on the knee. Maybe he didn’t mean to catch him so high but it was wreck less nonetheless. 

I think the accies tactics surprised Goodie, they didn’t set out to sit in. In the first half they played positively and tried to attack. 

We set up with players that wanted the ball at their feet and would play in and around the accies defence, but we couldn’t get it up the park.

To me the noticeable difference between the teams was when Accies got a foul on half way, the centre half’s went up the park and the ball was lumped into the box. When we got fouls in similar positions we invariably took it short, often quickly and put ourselves under pressure, with the ball often ending up with Hladky and him playing a high ball into the middle of the park. 

I think the sub at half time was right, McGrath was a ghost and as soon as Hodson was on he was organising and talking to player. He went in narrower which help us to win the midfield. 

I haven’t seen the game on Alba yet but it seemed that the ref started badly and fell away, managing to be both petty and lenient and there is no doubt that for the last 20 minutes or so he lost the place entirely. 

On Saturday we played Away against Hibs with fast attacking football in a 4-4-1-1 formation. I was quite confident going into last night's game.

However at Home we started with a 4-2-3-1 with two sitting midfielders in front of the back four leaving acres of space in front between them and the lazy Andreu. A totally bizarre formation which from the start wasn't working and although being totally overrun Goody did not change it until half time.

Junior was having a good game and was taken off. Andreu - a luxury player who can't work hard or keep a shot below 20 metres high - again stayed on the park for 90 mins.

We got out of jail last night. Goody was responsible for the starting formation and not changing it and for a couple of poor personnel decisions.

The only good thing from last night was that Alex looked decent when he came on. Surely he has to start before Andreu on Saturday?

19 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

On Saturday we played Away against Hibs with fast attacking football in a 4-4-1-1 formation. I was quite confident going into last night's game.

However at Home we started with a 4-2-3-1 with two sitting midfielders in front of the back four leaving acres of space in front between them and the lazy Andreu. A totally bizarre formation which from the start wasn't working and although being totally overrun Goody did not change it until half time.

Junior was having a good game and was taken off. Andreu - a luxury player who can't work hard or keep a shot below 20 metres high - again stayed on the park for 90 mins.

We got out of jail last night. Goody was responsible for the starting formation and not changing it and for a couple of poor personnel decisions.

The only good thing from last night was that Alex looked decent when he came on. Surely he has to start before Andreu on Saturday?

I'd be tempted to start Morais in the 10 role in place of Andreu too. Andreu is fine from the bench but doesn't give enough for me. 

No team really deserved the victory IMO. In the first half Accies had the better chances, with Oggy rattling the bar and the scramble from the cross being cleared off the line. Any kind of incidents regarding elbows etc I didn't get a very good view of from behind the goals.  
From the St Mirren side I thought the number 11 was potm, he dropped into spaces and was continually looking to either work the ball into space or move into some good attacking positions. Looks a very good player. Number 5 also looked solid. 

The St Mirren goal looked a peach, however, the goalkeeper AGAIN positioned himself at the opposite end of the goal, with SUCH SHORT RANGE you have to be more central! He gives himself no chance,  why didn't he learn this from the Edouard goal?! 

I was really glad to see that Tony Andreu is still absolutely a shell of his former self, glad he didn't come back to Accies with performances like that. 

20 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just to say, the penalty giveaway from Hodson is one of the funniest things I've seen all season long, a right good boot up the arse.

It was a Father Brennan type boot up the arse, to the extent that I actually couldn't believe what I'd seen and was at the time incredulous a penalty had been given, simply because I thought it hadn't happened.

It was bizarre.
Can only think he didn't realise the Accies player was going for the ball, and when Hodson went to kick it as it dropped there was a player where he thought the ball would be :-)!
Yeah that's exactly what happened. It was quite clever from Miller, and you could see it coming from a mile away.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
46 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:
It was bizarre.
Can only think he didn't realise the Accies player was going for the ball, and when Hodson went to kick it as it dropped there was a player where he thought the ball would be :-)!

Yeah that's exactly what happened. It was quite clever from Miller, and you could see it coming from a mile away.

A wee pity he wasn't quite so clever with the follow up part but hey-ho, them's the breaks!!

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

It was a Father Brennan type boot up the arse, to the extent that I actually couldn't believe what I'd seen and was at the time incredulous a penalty had been given, simply because I thought it hadn't happened.

Don't call me Len you little p***k.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

Ryan Flynn now out for a lengthy spell with cruciate ligament damage to his knee. Miller is a horrible wee b*****d for that tackle. Said it at the time he should have been given a straight red. Nowhere near the ball. 

That's awful news for Flynn.

You know, I was pretty sure the ref wasn't going to give ANY card until he saw how seriously hurt Flynn was.

I also thought Miller caught a Saints player with a flying arm just before Accies goal - but again nothing given.

Think about the only thing that ref got all night was the penalty.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

That's awful news for Flynn.

You know, I was pretty sure the ref wasn't going to give ANY card until he saw how seriously hurt Flynn was.

I also thought Miller caught a Saints player with a flying arm just before Accies goal - but again nothing given.

Think about the only thing that ref got all night was the penalty.

It’s quite clear when you watch it back that Miller was high and dangerous with no chance of the ball. In my opinion we won’t see Ryan Flynn again, at his age and with an injury like that he’s more likely to be finished.

Talking shite mate

In the first half - shite tactics from us, shite formation, shite team selection, shite performance, shite final ball, shite challenge resulting in Accies goal. More shite defending sees Accies rattle the crossbar. A shite substitution from Goodwin, a shite referee, a shite challenge for a stonewall Accies penalty, resulting in a shite spot-kick.
Fcuk, that was a decent point, given the shite, shite, shitey, shitey shiteness I witnessed tonight.