The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

Mastermind

27 minutes ago, Paco said:

In a twist that should surprise absolutely nobody, Mackay was pestering other young men he met at events, with his position in the party meaning they didn’t feel they could tell him to f**k off.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/got-any-naughty-pics-derek-21447119

‘Nothing illegal’, right?

All very Ross Thomsony...

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Derek McKay appears to be a very troubled and troubling politician whose now-revealed actions should at the least debar him from holding future political office.

But any moral guardians attempting to contaminate the body politic of the SNP on the back of recent events will fail, and fail miserably. The very attempt is an indication of the desperation of the SNP haters here and elsewhere.

The actions of individual Ministers or ex Ministers will not contaminate the "body politic" of the SNP.

If there has been any official or party attempts at a cover-up and preventing the press from publishing revelations, contamination is inevitable.

It would be the same for any party.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I thought Jackson Carlaw was remarkably easy on Nicola at FMQ's yesterday. 

Now I come to think about it he probably did have Ross Thomson on his mind at the time.

Pots, kettles black and all that...

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/groping-complaint-against-tory-mp-ross-thomson-dismissed-m293z0bms

"The referral over the behaviour of Ross Thomson, who is alleged to have drunkenly groped several people at a bar in the Palace of Westminster, is said to have failed because the complainant was not directly involved. Three sources confirmed that the complaint, raised by an SNP researcher, had been rejected."

Thomson continues to deny the allegations but his political career was destroyed. Mackay, unlike Thomson, has admitted his behaviour and should resign as an MSP.

An act of foolishness. I left the house to go to a gig without the tickets once. That was an act of foolishness. What he's done is an abuse of power. He won't be the first to act in that way or the last. I'd imagine he WILL be sacked when all is said and done.

SNP playing a part? I can definitely believe that they potentially turned a blind eye to behaviour. They wouldn't be the first or the last to do it, so I don't think it'd exactly be out of order to suggest it's the case. Obviously there'll be utter ghouls looking to point score over it, but does that mean the question shouldn't be asked? Not saying that's the case here, as I have no fucking idea. I ain't ruling it out though.

Obvs there’s shameless ghouls who’ll be looking to point score over this but folk immediately rushing to the defence of the SNP may well come out looking just as bad if the Sun, or other media outlets, are holding back on the full-scale of what happened to drip feed over the next few days.

Guest Bob Mahelp
25 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

From the front page of today's Herald:

"The 42 year old is also said to have regularly enjoyed energetic evenings at nightclubs with young men".

Do you think he went there on his own?

I don't see anything in that headline that is illegal, immoral or in any shape or form in the public interest. 

The fact that he's a gay man who enjoys the company of other gay men in nightclubs or wherever else shouldn't matter a shit to anyone in this day and age. Some of the newspaper headlines and stories are right on the edge of using his sexuality to deliberately shock people into being disgusted and offended.

It's the fact that he abused his power that is shocking.  

An act of foolishness. I left the house to go to a gig without the tickets once. That was an act of foolishness.

I agree with you that “an act of foolishness” clearly doesn’t cover what he’s been up to, but it’s hardly as though MacKay was going to issue a statement saying “I’m a massive creepy beast”

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

I agree with you that “an act of foolishness” clearly doesn’t cover what he’s been up to, but it’s hardly as though MacKay was going to issue a statement saying “I’m a massive creepy beast”

Aye. It's definitely one extreme or the other.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Obvs there’s shameless ghouls who’ll be looking to point score over this but folk immediately rushing to the defence of the SNP may well come out looking just as bad if the Sun, or other media outlets, are holding back on the full-scale of what happened to drip feed over the next few days.

There will probably be a huge splurge tomorrow because newspapers have typically turned the dial up at the weekend in the past. 

Mackay has nowhere to go on this as he's very clearly triggered the whole thing. The Sun will do what The Sun does best and sensationalise the story as far as they can. 

Outside of the behaviour of Mackay himself there are always questions for me about how these things are handled. I haven't read The Sun - I can't give them the hits they're after so apologies if this is common knowledge but maybe someone can help with the timeline. 

When did this all start? When did the youngster make his parents aware? When was The Sun first contacted or when did it get hold of the story? 

I'm asking not because it's Mackay - he'll need to take what comes. I'm asking because, when one news source gets an exclusive like this, it's usually very carefully managed to maximise impact. In the midst of it all is a 16 year old boy. If that were my child, I'd have wanted it stamped on at the earliest opportunity and I'd be less than keen about having multiple days of attention focused on them. I assume anonymity is in place but it's not guaranteed to remain that way. 

"Celebrity" - if you can call him that - sex sells papers. Folk wring hands about it but lap up the next installment. I get all that where it's adults behaving badly or differently. Personally, I'd want something different for my child than this but totally acknowledge that it might turn out like this anyway. 

If the SNP/government knew everything on Wednesday night that was published yesterday and the follow up stuff from the Sun today is entirely accurate then initially asking the paper for "justification for publication" beggars belief.

Aye. It's definitely one extreme or the other.

What I’m saying is that it’s hardly a surprise that MacKay’s own statement has tried to downplay it, because that’s pretty much the way that everyone in the public eye reacts if they get caught up in something like this - assuming that outright denial isn’t an option.

14 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

If the SNP/government knew everything on Wednesday night that was published yesterday and the follow up stuff from the Sun today is entirely accurate then initially asking the paper for "justification for publication" beggars belief.

Sweeney on Good Morning Scotland. Seems reasonable to me if MacKay didn't instantly fess up.

The Government became aware of these allegations at about 6pm on Wednesday night and because of the significance of what was being put to us, we simply asked for information to give us the veracity and the substance of the points that were being put to us,” he said.

“We saw nothing in writing until we saw the first edition of the Sun later on on Wednesday evening, so we were simply asking for the detail we would ask for in any situation where allegations are being put to us.

“I don’t think anyone – even our worst critics – could say the Government was in any way slow in handling it.”