The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

Mastermind

48 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I dont think it's fair but this and the Salmond issue will effect the snp in the polls.
Other parties will use it as a stick to beat them with.

Never any love shared between political rivals, but fortunately this political guru does not think it will affect them to any significant extent.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18217629.john-curtice-mackay-quitting-wont-hurt-snps-electoral-fortunes/

7 hours ago, sparky88 said:

'Derek Mackay texting a 16 year old is OK because I think Boris Johnson might be  a beast' barely qualifies whataboutery anyway.

Whataboutery is always prevalent in these situations. What I'm about to say isn't whataboutery I hope. There are a lot of folk - opposition politicians included - fretting about the wellbeing of the boy. Yet he or his family opted to go to The Sun for support whilst the police have yet to receive a complaint. If my child was being bombarded by texts from a 42 year old, I think my judgement would be different. Mackay is OFTW based on this stuff but there's another angle to this that's not adding up for me. 

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I dont think it's fair but this and the Salmond issue will effect the snp in the polls.
Other parties will use it as a stick to beat them with.

Mackay or his behaviour will not affect SNP support. The Salmond "issue" could have a massive impact and the timing of the trial could not be worse. However, the bonus is that the other parties lack effective leadership and will struggle to run effective campaigns this year.

The problem with all the (frankly a wee bit too horny) salivating that this or that scandal is going to KILL INDEPENDENCE is that I, and I assume many many others, couldn't give two cold fucks if every single member of the SNP beefs a cat before breakfast. They're a conduit to independence, not the keyholder.

7 hours ago, Detournement said:

It depends if the Salmond case takes down Sturgeon.

It's rumoured she has been deleting emails which may come back to haunt her.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

By whom?

Detournement

4 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

The problem with all the (frankly a wee bit too horny) salivating that this or that scandal is going to KILL INDEPENDENCE is that I, and I assume many many others, couldn't give two cold fucks if every single member of the SNP beefs a cat before breakfast. They're a conduit to independence, not the keyholder.

Before breakfast? That’s obscene.

4 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

This is just between us, Tiddles. Right?

70CC626B-42FA-460A-BAB0-382A5514C4AA.jpeg

Can't believe folks are trying to defend creepy Mackay

They aren't. They are attacking those who are attempting to politicise it.

What also disturbs me about the whole affair isn't just his creepy behaviour but how the boy's parents have handled it. They look more interested in making a fast buck than the welfare of their son.

Why go running to the Sun instead of reporting the matter to the police? There clearly may be a case for them to investigate in terms of grooming or even stalking.

I know if it was my son that phoning the police not a Sun reporter would be my first response.

I think the not going to Police may have something to do with, as has been pointed out on more than one occasion, nothing illegal having happened. 

To add a considerable splash of tinfoilhattery, he is (was) one of the top Politicians in the country. 

Going nuclear public had Mackay’s career dealt with by summary public execution in under 24hrs. 

Can anyone hypothesise how a formal complaint to the Police might have turned out or how long it would have taken?

Making a choice between the two routes to justice I’m not so sure the family can be tarred because they went public. 

I think the not going to Police may have something to do with, as has been pointed out on more than one occasion, nothing illegal having happened.    To add a considerable splash of tinfoilhattery, he is (was) one of the top Politicians in the country. 

Going nuclear public had Mackay’s career dealt with by summary public execution in under 24hrs. 

Can anyone hypothesise how a formal complaint to the Police might have turned out or how long it would have taken?

Making a choice between the two routes to justice I’m not so sure the family can be tarred because they went public. 

I still think they could have done both.

I'm not a legal expert but that level of texting and the fact the boy told him he wasn't interested looks like stalking.

Mackay wouldn't come under sections 42-45 of the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009 ('the 2009 Act') that cover where an adult who engages in sexual activity with a child under the age of 18 in respect of whom they are in a 'position of trust' also commits an offence - the definition of 'position of trust' is very narrow - usually those like teachers or social workers with a direct link to the under-18. 

They could have gone to the police then gone to the papers - it wouldn't have mattered if the police found a case to answer or not - I'm sure the papers would be interested either way.