Arbroath vs QOTS

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I know we've had the benefit of nearly 3k United fans at Gayfield this season but our average gate this season is still around 1.6k. An average gate that high whilst also having to only pay part time wages is a big benefit to us, being part time is also allowing us to keep our best players who could all easily go FT if they wanted too. A solid part time team is the way forward for us.

Not overly sure what kind of advantage full time is at this level anyway, aside from when midweek fixtures are played.

We have looked just as fit and well organised as any team we've come up against this season.

Watched Ian Campbell's interview. Think he's got it spot on.

I have often remarked at games that we look no fitter or better organised than we did when we were part-time, in fact being part time maybe gives you more incentive to show up well against full time teams.  We certainly don't look like we practice any set-pieces from the attack or defending point of view, it all seems to be made up as we go along. The  heavy conditions in which yesterday's game was played should have meant our full time training would give us an advantage in the last quarter of the game but we don't look any fitter than Arbroath ( or Alloa for that matter) , quite the opposite in fact.  As you say maybe there is a slight advantage in preparation for midweek matches but in reality it makes very little difference.

Any advantage to being full-time, owes less to the players training for longer, than it does to the notion that you get better players by paying them enough to let them play football for a living.

At our current level, with our gates though, I doubt if there's any real advantage at all.  If we need to go part-time again, so be it.  I'd rather it was in this division though.  

The reality is that in the last of our part-time days in the mid noughties, several of our players had no other job anyway.  I actually quite liked the "2-0 to the part-timers" chant.

This is almost word for word what I thought you’d say, you’d look more credible if you just acknowledged they have quality and you were wrong tbh.
Decent enough players at this level. As I said, nothing from my second post on them is wrong.

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

We could sustain full time, but with a smaller squad. If we go up I think we would take the hybrid approach

I think Raith tried the hybrid model,but the players that had worked all day ,resented the full time guys getting up at 9 am , going to the bookies,training for 4 hours then having tons of free time...just saying.

Mental we’re even talking about Arbroath in the Premiership. Shows how well the Campbell bros and their players have done tbh.

It’s obviously a long shot but you just never know. If we can sneak 4th then it gets us into the tournament. 6 decent performances later and we are a Premiership side.

I think Raith tried the hybrid model,but the players that had worked all day ,resented the full time guys getting up at 9 am , going to the bookies,training for 4 hours then having tons of free time...just saying.

I’m sure Raiths hybrid model is 4 part timers and 16 full timers

20 hours ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I notice Johnston’s gone back in with his ‘no disrespect to Arbroath we should be winning games like this’ patter. I stopped listening there.

I noticed that 🙈🙈🙈 how’s that working out for him? Obviously never took on DC’s respect advice, These young managers these days, got a lot to learn. The worrying thing is he looked serious and genuine when he said it but that’s 2 games at Gayfield in totally contrasting conditions  and a big fat 0 in the goals scored column and well beat again, Don’t worry, One day AJ you will get there if your P45 isn’t already in the post.

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

I noticed that [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85] how’s that working out for him? Obviously never took on DC’s respect advice, These young managers these days, got a lot to learn. The worrying thing is he looked serious and genuine when he said it but that’s 2 games at Gayfield in totally contrasting conditions  and a big fat 0 in the goals scored column and well beat again, Don’t worry, One day AJ you will get there if your P45 isn’t already in the post.
You didn't win the first game.

I do hope his P45 is in the post though.

Has it ever been done?
I doubt it ever will tbh. It's an absolute joke of a set-up to give the Premiership side the biggest possible advantage of staying up.

Falkirk came close a few years back but were literally exhausted by the time they played Killie in the second leg and were subsequently steamrolled.

FWIW, if Arbroath did finish 4th I'd absolutely be supporting them through the play-offs.

I doubt it ever will tbh. It's an absolute joke of a set-up to give the Premiership side the biggest possible advantage of staying up.

Falkirk came close a few years back but were literally exhausted by the time they played Killie in the second leg and were subsequently steamrolled.

FWIW, if Arbroath did finish 4th I'd absolutely be supporting them through the play-offs.

Falkirk finished second that year though.