Arbroath vs Ayr United

This league is fucking gash. This is shown by the fact Part time Arbroath are in the playoffs. That’s meaning no disrespect to Arbroath as they have had a terrific season.
There is no reason why we shouldn’t be aiming to finish 2nd. 

Arbroath have more points this season than Caley did at this point last season. Caley went on to finish 2nd. Was the league “fucking gash” last season as well?

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Arbroath have more points this season than Caley did at this point last season. Caley went on to finish 2nd. Was the league “fucking gash” last season as well?

Yes, We were absolutely shite from October onwards and still managed to finish in the playoffs. 

So is the league not just always gash then? Or?

I seen Tam McManus make this argument because ourselves and Alloa were doing well: before several people pointed out how many seasons part time teams have done similar. Your Alloas/Dumbartons/Cowdenbeaths etc.

I think the gap is closing between lower full time and top end part time. Full time just isn't the way forward for a lot of guys now. Job plus part time is the way to go like I said on the QOTS thread unless you really backed yourself and thought you could push on to a good FT level.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So is the league not just always gash then? Or?

I seen Tam McManus make this argument because ourselves and Alloa were doing well: before several people pointed out how many seasons part time teams have done similar. Your Alloas/Dumbartons/Cowdenbeaths etc.

I think the gap is closing between lower full time and top end part time. Full time just isn't the way forward for a lot of guys now. Job plus part time is the way to go like I said on the QOTS thread unless you really backed yourself and thought you could push on to a good FT level.

Turning FT has definitely improved us on and off the park. Won League 1 in our first season, Finished 4th last season and looks like we could well finish in the playoffs this season.

I understand what you mean though. When you combine your players wages plus their wage from their “real” job it will probably be more than the lower paying FT teams. I know quite a few of our players do Personal Training on the side. 

Turning FT has definitely improved us on and off the park. Won League 1 in our first season, Finished 4th last season and looks like we could well finish in the playoffs this season.

I understand what you mean though. When you combine your players wages plus their wage from their “real” job it will probably be more than the lower paying FT teams. I know quite a few of our players do Personal Training on the side. 

Personal trainer gig on the side would be ideal to be fair, suppose there are still side things you could do at FT.

It's just that every single week the part time thing comes up and it can be frustrating. I am 100 percent sure most of our players (and Alloa) could be full time if they wanted to be. It means they train less with the club in comparison to the FT sides but if they do a couple of their own workouts a week and look after themselves properly it can make up for that. Part time players got a lot more professional in my opinion, even just in the last 10 years.

You still get your Ryan McCords and Ross Forbes kicking about but the majority of players are extremely fit.

I'd back Michael McKenna, Mark Whatley and David Gold to outrun anyone in this division. [emoji23]

I think most teams fans have shown us quite a lot of disrespect this season through comments like “this league is gash.” Basically because a “part time team” (which isn’t as relevant as some make out) has pulled their pants down.

You just need to see how many managers need sacking when we beat them too, keep the meltdowns coming.

I think most teams fans have shown us quite a lot of disrespect this season through comments like “this league is gash.” Basically because a “part time team” (which isn’t as relevant as some make out) has pulled their pants down.

You just need to see how many managers need sacking when we beat them too, keep the meltdowns coming.

People say this league is gash because it is indeed gash. It’s got nothing to do with Arbroath. Dundee Utd are head and shoulders above everyone and are still pretty shite.

All you need in this league is to be well organised and have a wee bit of quality up front and you’ll do well.

9 minutes ago, Mexico said:

Over the course of a season the part time teams do generally suffer (I know we did) and speaking from experience it tended to limit our squad size, it limited the players available to us for signing and towards the back end of the season the injuries seemed to have a bigger effect on us than some of our full time peers.

Having said that, on an 11 v 11 scenario taken in isolation at any given time then I don't think there's any discernible difference nowadays, certainly not where fitness is concerned although playing 2 games per week over a 4 week period will tend to take it's toll more on part time players than full time I'd think.

As for the "league is gash", I don't really go along with this either, what I would say is that all the teams are more or less of a similar quality which doesn't automatically mean that it's got to be a "poor" quality.

Looking at the facts, Dundee have just come down from the Premier and they're struggling, Partick have been splashing cash and they're REALLY struggling, the likes of Dunfermline still have a pretty big budget for this level and they're not exactly setting the heather alight either. You can also look at Ross County who just gone up and are looking pretty comfortable with much the same squad as last year and teams like Livingston have taken the supposed "step up" in their stride, again with a limited budget.

For a change we should try and take the positives from our league, ie, it's exciting, ultra competitive and every game is a challenge although a winnable challenge and personally I think it's great..................

People say this league is gash because it is indeed gash. It’s got nothing to do with Arbroath. Dundee Utd are head and shoulders above everyone and are still pretty shite.

All you need in this league is to be well organised and have a wee bit of quality up front and you’ll do well.

How is that different from any other league?

Speaking of gash, I see the forecast for Saturday is once again appalling.  How can anyone play football in 50mph winds?

As already stated. The wind forecasts seem to be all over the place up until the day.

For what it is worth there has only been 2 windy days from all of our home league games so far. Partick Thistle and Dunfermline.

The forecast for Saturday past was horrendous, it was fine, aside from bucketing down the wind had zero affect on the game.

See Arbroath have taken Alloa's place in taking offence at not being praised 24/7.

What? Who mentioned praise?

Commenting on the fact the same old stuff in regards to part time comes up every thread.

Arbroath fans will be the first to slag the team up after poor performances, check previous threads if you must. Falkirk away in the cup the most recent.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Because what I’ve just said there should be the bare minimum for any half decent football team. That’s how low the overall quality of the league is.

Football at all levels has changed though, it's now more of a team game with an emphasis on fitness as opposed to the bygone days of quality ball players, midfield playmakers, wingers and hatchet men.

We could argue all day if it's better or worse but ultimately it's just different..........

Because what I’ve just said there should be the bare minimum for any half decent football team. That’s how low the overall quality of the league is.

It's not any different.

The better quality you have going forward and the better you are organised as a team will determine how well you do in any league.

What you've said is just a generic statement. Everyone has tried to achieve that and some people have done it better than others.

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Yes.