St Johnstone v Celtic, McDiarmid park 1/03/20

gannonball

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Other than maybe having Holt in there

54 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Options might be Holt in the middle for Craig or Butcher

I'm going for Craig here because he played a good disciplined role against Celtic when he came on for Holt (?) at HT in the last one against them.  Celtic destroyed us with balls into the front two's feet in the first half last time out, allowing them to play one-twos and link up really well, and Liam Craig sitting in front of them blocking that option seemed to curtail them a bit in the second half. (Though obviously you could argue Celtic took their foot off the pedal a bit).

Holt is a good player but I don't think he's as disciplined a sitter as Craig. 

Kerr and McCart have to be lively in getting out on either side to back up the wing backs when we're defending.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Anyone know if Muzz is back? Not to start after such a long lay off but maybe not a bad option off the bench. 

I'm sure I read he was getting his cast off this week at some point.

We need some chat in here but I think we've pretty much all agreed on the best team. Not even any cup games against Celtic that are worth reminiscing about. 

What was the first victory you saw over Celtic?

Only other point I could raise, motivated by the stench surrounding McDiarmid on Sunday, is why do Old Firm fans have such poor personal hygiene?

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Just hoping my season ticket seat survives two successive games against the Old Firm.

Assume by this they have 3 stands for this game. 

They don't need seats anyway since they don't know how to sit down at away games. 

Good luck and hopefully we will meet in the next round  :)

We need some chat in here but I think we've pretty much all agreed on the best team. Not even any cup games against Celtic that are worth reminiscing about. 
What was the first victory you saw over Celtic?
Only other point I could raise, motivated by the stench surrounding McDiarmid on Sunday, is why do Old Firm fans have such poor personal hygiene?
Mine was 3 2 home win in season 90/91. Used to do well against them back in the day

First win against them I saw was also that 3-2 game, first time I'd seen us play them. We were 2-0 up after 6 minutes. Goals from Maskrey, Grant and Turner. That win put us 5 points clear of Celtic and just 6 points off Rangers, in fourth place, after Xmas. Crazy times. 

(What a) Team: Hamilton, Treanor, Baltacha, Cherry, Inglis, McGinnis, Moore, Turner, Maskrey, Grant (Davies), Curran (McVicar). 

IMG_20200227_191401.thumb.jpg.f796c96087bbd19c447a45942df63603.jpg

I think we beat them once in every season we played them at McDiarmid up until 1999/00. We certainly won more than we lost. 

Edited by Radford

Genuinely think the Lomas game was the first I saw Saints win against Celtic.

Remember hearing the crowd in the 2-1 win over them from my house, think it followed the humping from Rangers, but my dad refused to take me to OF games when I was young.

First real memory was the Semi, with the big Dutch boy diving for a penalty. I then went to our first game up against them, a pummeling at Celtic Park.

Same as Radford and PerthSaint1977, that 3-2 win was the first time I saw us play them. Was a brilliant exciting match in front of a full house. Mostly Saints fans too before anyone comes in with the 3 stand chat!

We did used to have a great record against them at home.

That season we finished third ('99) and beat them three out of the four matches, the funny thing is I didn't really remember that until I saw it written recently; beating them just wasn't that big a deal back then as it would be now for us.

The best fact about that 1998/99 season is we beat them three times from four but still lost on aggregate! 

The win through there was special, our first away to either one of them since the early seventies. Nathan Lowndes had made a brilliant start to his Saints career but went off injured early on and you thought our chance was gone but Dasovic, as was his way, scored a beautiful goal and Alan Main was inspired.

A few days later, in typical Saints fashion, Paul Sturrock made his return to Perth and we lost to United. The previous Saturday, Billy Dodds had done nothing as we beat Aberdeen 2-0 but he scored a hat-trick on his United debut.

I think I’ve managed to miss every time we’ve won at Celtic park, yet to see us win there, other than the cup final.

celtic currently 1-0 down in the last 12 minutes. Simunovic has had a shocker and his confidence looks shot, so Hendry and May need to get right at him.

A 1-1 draw and extra time  here against Copenhagen would be no bad thing.

Or would a Celtic defeat and remove their current aura of invincibility be better for us??