Ayr/Dundee vs Dundee/Ayr - The Double Header

Thoroughly expected to see a decent Dundee side lay down a play off marker but they look as ordinary as us.

Malley is a ‘baller, would love to see him on a decent surface. I’d be starting Tiffoney ahead of Forrest on Tues, just think his pace worries defenders & despite being similar builds, he seems far more able to protect the ball whilst in possession. Perhaps Doc for Aero if he’s fit.

Kerr needs to re-think this long ball nonsense.  Completely ineffective.  Berra was absolutely shocking and looked like he was running through porridge and yet we persisted with aimless punts up the park.  

12 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Berra was absolutely shocking

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Van Schaik of Morton is the worst footballer I have seen in professional football, until today. Berra took the mantle. He looked like someone deliberately fannying about he was that bad.  

Christophe '4 clean sheets' Berra?

Tap boi.

20 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Van Schaik of Morton is the worst footballer I have seen in professional football, until today. Berra took the mantle. He looked like someone deliberately fannying about he was that bad.  

So terrible that you couldn't find your way past him? 🤔

Berra looked a wee bit better than he did when I watched him with Hearts this season, he was still waiting to implode at any moment, Moff punching him when he tried to elbow him was very funny. 

Where we are good at the back I just can’t see where goals are coming, and if we’re waiting on Moore for that god help us. The boy Malley needs a run in the team and so does Tiffoney, he’s giving others game time when they are struggling week after week.

launching long balls up the park when we don’t have any midfield runners is completely wasteful, big Drinan gives a shift every game but he needs help.

another massive opportunity missed to pressure ICT but to be honest we’re not good enough and might just hold on to fifth or sixth.

46 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Kerr needs to re-think this long ball nonsense.  Completely ineffective.  Berra was absolutely shocking and looked like he was running through porridge and yet we persisted with aimless punts up the park.  

I've said as much for a few weeks now and was largely derided for it. Playing that way makes us very predictable and relying on percentage football. That's not what our relative success in the past couple of seasons has been built on and definitely doesn't play to our strengths.

I get we're two points off second, I get we're overachieving with the budget we have but we should be causing teams far greater problems than we are. Even "bigger" teams like Dundee and especially at home.

We had one corner today, at home, against a rival play off team. That tells its own story, we aren't getting in behind teams often enough and  aren't causing enough problems in the wide areas. If you can get opposition defence's turned and facing their own goal then you'll cause them problems. Even more so when their names are Forster and Berra. 

It just didnt happen today and probably hasn't for a few weeks now.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

I've said as much for a few weeks now and was largely derided for it. Playing that way makes us very predictable and relying on percentage football. That's not what our relative success in the past couple of seasons has been built on and definitely doesn't play to our strengths.

I get we're two points off second, I get we're overachieving with the budget we have but we should be causing teams far greater problems than we are. Even "bigger" teams like Dundee and especially at home.

We had one corner today, at home, against a rival play off team. That tells its own story, we aren't getting in behind teams often enough and  aren't causing enough problems in the wide areas. If you can get opposition defence's turned and facing their own goal then you'll cause them problems. Even more so when their names are Forster and Berra. 

It just didnt happen today and probably hasn't for a few weeks now.

Moffat, Forest and McCowan have been poor for weeks, the interplay that was so good to watch at the start of the season has been missing. playing on a lumpy park hasn't helped either. 

We are playing long balls but have no midfield pushing forward to support and it has all gone a bit flat. 

Dundee looked very badly organised, loads of space opened up everywhere when we got the ball, their midfield was almost non-existent and had nothing going forward. 

Ayr defended well enough but didn't click going forward at all.  

10 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Shoulda won that.

We were crying out for a proper winger on the right to take advantage of the Berra/McDaid comedy duo. f**k knows why we didn’t take advantage of it.

Can I interest you in a one Declan McDaid, per chance? 

It's swings and roundabouts, Kerr is playing a more solid line up which is making us hard to beat but at the same time it means we're a bit short going forward. As said previously, the pitch isn't playing to our strengths at this time of year so maybe it's not a bad idea at all.

All said, had Muirhead converted we'd have won the match and everyone would be really happy, personally I'm happy enough with both the performance and the point, especially when you look at the other results. 

Drinan was outstanding again today and has been an excellent signing, especially as it gives Kerr the option of playing this way, although perhaps not everyone's cup of tea.

Dundee are pretty workmanlike but still have some quality players so the fact we kind of nullified each other probably speaks volumes of the respect both sides gave each other today and I'd fully expect the same on Tuesday night.

A point ?

I'll take it.