Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Guest bernardblack
Why? He's played there successfully for us before - in fact I think we're unbeaten in six matches with him playing there.

I’m saying that there’s a better player in his position so he shouldn’t be shoehorned into the team, narrowing that right hand side

I still automatically roll my eyes when thinking if Chris Martin playing for us, but I suppose I can count a few important things he did for us unlike some of the other strikers mentioned: the late winner Vs Slovenia, again vs Slovakia* plus the two collapses that won Griffiths his free kicks Vs England. All competitive games all against good/decent opposition.

*Did that go down as a Skrtel own goal? Martin definitely played a part in it though
Aye, went down as an OG, but very much under pressure from Martin.

4 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I’m saying that there’s a better player in his position so he shouldn’t be shoehorned into the team, narrowing that right hand side

Tierney has been better than Palmer or O'Donnell have at right back. Leaving Tierney on the bench would be extremely silly. I expect he'll start at centre half though.

11 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

The alternative is:

a) Playing him over Champions League winner, and undoubtedly one of the world's best left backs, Andy Robertson

b) benching him

So either Tierney plays centre half or right back - both positions he's quite probably better than any of the alternatives.  That's the deal.

Guest bernardblack
Tierney has been better than Palmer or O'Donnell have at right back. Leaving Tierney on the bench would be extremely silly. I expect he'll start at centre half though.

I could see him playing in a back four at centre half.

Wouldn’t be happy going 352 as that puts Robertson in an unnatural position.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This.

The fact that 2 other left backs (and right backs) have been called up and just 3 other centre backs indicate that Tierney is being lined up to play in the middle.

But, if you play Cooper - Tierney, you've a got a pretty short-arse centre back combo.

Edited by ArabFC

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The alternative is:

a) Playing him over Champions League winner, and undoubtedly one of the world's best left backs, Andy Robertson

b) benching him

So either Tierney plays centre half or right back - both positions he's quite probably better than any of the alternatives.  That's the deal.

What evidence do we have to say that Tierney is a better centre back than McKenna, Gallagher or Cooper?

Especially when you consider we'll probably be playing with 2 CB's rather than 3.

22 minutes ago, G51 said:

What evidence do we have to say that Tierney is a better centre back than McKenna, Gallagher or Cooper?

Especially when you consider we'll probably be playing with 2 CB's rather than 3.

How about Tierney plays as a centreback for Arsenal, and Gallagher plays for Motherwell?

Is that 'evidence'?

Just now, ArabFC said:

How about Tierney plays as a centreback for Arsenal, and Gallagher plays for Motherwell?

Is that 'evidence'?

TIerney plays as part of a three for Arsenal. The odds are we won't play with three CB's. If we do then absolutely make Tierney one of them. But Clarke, as far as I can remember, has never shown the inclination to play that system.

Playing as part of a two requires a different physicality and skill set. I don't remember TIerney playing as part of a centre back pairing in recent years, outside of Malky Mackay's game against the Dutch. So I'm not sure we know if he's actually any good as one of a two.

Tierney works as one of a three because he can push up a bit and clip balls in behind for a rapid striker like Aubameyang to chase. Maybe Clarke tries to replicate that with Oli Burke, but hopefully not because he's shite.

Our centre backs will likely be up against Shon Weissman tonight, who just had a very good season. He's a player who tries to play in the space between the left back and the LCB. Wolfsberger used to routinely pump long balls up to him for him to chase or hold up, despite being only 5'8. A physical approach might be necessary tonight. https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/shon-weissman-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

26 minutes ago, G51 said:

TIerney plays as part of a three for Arsenal. The odds are we won't play with three CB's. If we do then absolutely make Tierney one of them. But Clarke, as far as I can remember, has never shown the inclination to play that system.

Playing as part of a two requires a different physicality and skill set. I don't remember TIerney playing as part of a centre back pairing in recent years, outside of Malky Mackay's game against the Dutch. So I'm not sure we know if he's actually any good as one of a two.

Tierney works as one of a three because he can push up a bit and clip balls in behind for a rapid striker like Aubameyang to chase. Maybe Clarke tries to replicate that with Oli Burke, but hopefully not because he's shite.

Our centre backs will likely be up against Shon Weissman tonight, who just had a very good season. He's a player who tries to play in the space between the left back and the LCB. Wolfsberger used to routinely pump long balls up to him for him to chase or hold up, despite being only 5'8. A physical approach might be necessary tonight. https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/shon-weissman-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

I disagree with almost all of that but can't be arsed arguing.

More importantly for me... 

• Tierney is one of our best players.
  • We have struggled for years at centre-back.
  • Tierney has been playing centre-back a lot recently at a high level.

We'd be fools not to give a shot, and I doubt Cooper, McKenna or Gallagher would ever be chosen ahead of Tierney by Arteta (given the chance) even in a back 4.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think I'd pretty much agree with every word of that. He certainly played a lot of Aussie Rules as a teenager. I'm not sure if he didn't also play rugby.

Dykes is tall and strong (and getting stronger is the biggest difference in the last 2 or 3 years) but also deceptively quick with a great work ethic. He will chase balls into the corners. He has a delicate touch too. He can cushion a pass and is very good at lobs. His biggest flaw remains as it always has been, his actual finishing. Just occasionally he catches one perfectly like the goal at Raith Rovers in the playoff final or the one against St Johnstone in the League Cup but more often than not the ones he does score are sclaffed in or spectacular lobs (a la the one against Celtic for Livi or the very similar one for Queens v Montrose in the playoff semi final). I appreciate that without being the perfect foil for Dobbie, and becoming the lead attacker for Livi his goalscoring rate has improved but he'll never be prolific. I agree I think he'll do well down South. QPR have a bit of a tradition of big no 9's, most famously Les Ferdinand and most recently Matt Smith.

It would be a surprise to see him scoring for Scotland but if we can get the likes of McGinn, Armstrong, Forrest up around him he'll bring them into play and set up opportunities of the type peak Dobbie would put away for fun at our level.

If he had been any good taking pens last season he could've had 20 goals, missed one in pre season and then another against St Johnstone in the league, then Lawless took over taking them and bagged 7 goals from the spot, he's scored twice from the spot this season though before his move to QPR so maybe he's been practicing. I'd also say he had a lot to do with us getting those pens,  Anyhoo, i wouldn't write him off from being a prolific goal scorer, he wasn't being used by Queens as a striker and he certainly did a good job for us, and got a decent amount of goals and assists, i think he's got more to give still and is improving with each level he steps up into.